Moving draft back FURTHER into May?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Moving draft back FURTHER into May?

Post by dead_poet »

Sweet Jesus no.

Roger Goodell - C - Free Agent

Sources tell the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that the NFL is giving "serious consideration" to pushing the draft back even further toward mid-May in 2015.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has heard the loud complaints about this year's lull between free agency and the draft, but he's undeterred. The extra time has led to extra coverage, which could very well lead to higher ratings Thursday night. "There have been some real pluses, and we'll have to evaluate that," Goodell said. "A number of our coaches have praised it, too, because it gave them a chance to spend time with their current players and make some determinations about what's the right place to go in the draft. So there's some real value to it."
Source: Bob McGinn on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Moving draft back FURTHER into May?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Goodell is an ####. Plain and simple.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Welp. May draft is probably here to stay.
@ClaytonESPN: With the 50 percent increase in ratings Thursday for just the NFL Network, signs are pointing to the NFL keeping the draft in May.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the 2015 draft could be held in Los Angeles or Chicago, and may be expanded to four days.

Radio City Music Hall is apparently unavailable — that wouldn't have been the case had the league simply booked it — though the draft could still be held in New York at Madison Square Garden. Per Rapsheet, it appears the draft will be held either April 22-25 or April 29-May 2. That means, at minimum, it would be a week earlier than this season. Returning to April 22-25 would be in accordance with the league's pre-2014 schedule. Expanding to four nights would be overkill for an event that is already stretched too thin.
--Ian Rapoport on Twitter

--
I vote Chicago so Moth can be there, in his Ponder jersey, cheering on our pick. I'm counting on it. :P
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the 2015 draft could be held in Los Angeles or Chicago, and may be expanded to four days.

Radio City Music Hall is apparently unavailable — that wouldn't have been the case had the league simply booked it — though the draft could still be held in New York at Madison Square Garden. Per Rapsheet, it appears the draft will be held either April 22-25 or April 29-May 2. That means, at minimum, it would be a week earlier than this season. Returning to April 22-25 would be in accordance with the league's pre-2014 schedule. Expanding to four nights would be overkill for an event that is already stretched too thin.
--Ian Rapoport on Twitter

--
I vote Chicago so Moth can be there, in his Ponder jersey, cheering on our pick. I'm counting on it. :P
I'd love it if the draft was held here in Chicago but I don't own a Ponder jersey or want one and to be honest, even though I know you're just ribbing me, I'm tired of being associated with him as if I'm some sort of big Ponder fan, which was never the case. At this point, being referred to that way is just frustrating so I'd appreciate it if people didn't perpetuate that particular myth. :)

The idea of expanding the draft to 4 days is ridiculous. If anything, it would be better if they condensed it back down to two and just held it on the weekend, like they did for years.

On the other hand, if that info is accurate, returning th draft to late April would definitely be a welcome development.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Cool it, Mister. :D But you'll wear your purple right?! You must represent. Must.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Cool it, Mister. :D But you'll wear your purple right?! You must represent. Must.
No, I'd be in green and gold.

Ask a silly question...

I'd probably wear my Adrian Peterson jersey.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Hey now! Plenty of people go to sporting events without wearing anything sports related. It happens. I've seen it! :-)

But I'm glad you're agreeing to go! :-) Save your pennies.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Hey now! Plenty of people go to sporting events without wearing anything sports related. It happens. I've seen it! :-)
That's true... I've seen it too but since I probably wear Vikings-related clothing at least once a week there's no way I wouldn't be wearing purple if I attended the draft!