No more extra point?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

No more extra point?

Post by dead_poet »

Gotta say, I kinda dig this idea...

Speaking Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league could eventually abolish the extra point.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play." Goodell said the league is intrigued by a proposal that would automatically grant seven points for every touchdown, but still allow teams to try for an eighth point via a traditional offensive play. The catch is that if you fail to convert, the touchdown then becomes worth only six points. Perhaps the most perfunctory play in sports, extra points serve almost no purpose at the professional level.
Source: NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... witter_atl
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: No more extra point?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Gotta say, I kinda dig this idea...

Speaking Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league could eventually abolish the extra point.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play." Goodell said the league is intrigued by a proposal that would automatically grant seven points for every touchdown, but still allow teams to try for an eighth point via a traditional offensive play. The catch is that if you fail to convert, the touchdown then becomes worth only six points. Perhaps the most perfunctory play in sports, extra points serve almost no purpose at the professional level.
Except for when Blair Walsh missed one this season :(
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Interesting. I like it.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Hope so.
1256 for 1261
Waste of time.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Wouldn't be able to do a fake kick anymore ... That's about the only downside.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Gotta say, I kinda dig this idea...

They clearly serve a purpose since they can still be blocked or missed. That may happen a low percentage of the time but that low percentage is still higher than the 0% that will result from making a TD worth 7 points. I understand the idea would be to encourage more 2 point attempts but considering how seldom they are attempted now, when the extra point still has to be converted, what makes Goodell think teams will suddenly start taking that 2 point risk more often when they automatically get 7 points?

Who here hasn't seen at least one game in your lifetime in which a blocked or missed extra point ended up having an impact on the game's outcome? How is removing that possibility altogether better than keeping it in place, even if it's a rare occurrence?

I've had it with this meddlesome commissioner. :x
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: They clearly serve a purpose since they can still be blocked or missed. That may happen a low percentage of the time but that low percentage is still higher than the 0% that will result from making a TD worth 7 points. I understand the idea would be to encourage more 2 point attempts but considering how seldom they are attempted now, when the extra point still has to be converted, what makes Goodell think teams will suddenly start taking that 2 point risk more often when they automatically get 7 points?

Who here hasn't seen at least one game in your lifetime in which a blocked or missed extra point ended up having an impact on the game's outcome? How is removing that possibility altogether better than keeping it in place, even if it's a rare occurrence?

I've had it with this meddlesome commissioner. :x
Meh. I don't think it would necessarily increase team's chances to attempt (then, I suppose, what's the point?). They'll probably do it as often as they presently attempt the two-point conversion, depending on the game situation. The more I think about it, I'm not sure I agree with the added risk of a touchdown only being worth six points if it's a failed attempt. Maybe ditching the potential for only six points and have the additional chance for two more if successfully performing the two-point conversion for a total of 9 points? I dunno. I've never been a fan of the extra point. Though, what about moving the extra point distance back 10 yards?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

dead_poet wrote: Meh. I don't think it would necessarily increase team's chances to attempt (then, I suppose, what's the point?). They'll probably do it as often as they presently attempt the two-point conversion, depending on the game situation. The more I think about it, I'm not sure I agree with the added risk of a touchdown only being worth six points if it's a failed attempt. Maybe ditching the potential for only six points and have the additional chance for two more if successfully performing the two-point conversion for a total of 9 points? I dunno. I've never been a fan of the extra point. Though, what about moving the extra point distance back 10 yards?
And we would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling commissioner! ( :lol: Sorry Jim, all I could think of was Scooby-Doo when you mentioned the "meddlesome commissioner.")

I think moving the conversion back to the 10 yard line might be a good idea, but how many teams will go for a 2 point conversion from there? That seems to exponentially increase the chances of failure in that instance for only netting 1 more point.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Just Me wrote:I think moving the conversion back to the 10 yard line might be a good idea, but how many teams will go for a 2 point conversion from there? That seems to exponentially increase the chances of failure in that instance for only netting 1 more point.
I meant moving the extra point kick back an additional 10 yards (or more?). Right now it's a 19-yard attempt. I'd be in favor of a 30-yard attempt. The two-point conversion attempt can stay at the same distance. I would be in favor of a slightly more difficult attempt for kickers since it's mostly automatic at this point.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

dead_poet wrote: I meant moving the extra point kick back an additional 10 yards (or more?). Right now it's a 19-yard attempt. I'd be in favor of a 30-yard attempt. The two-point conversion attempt can stay at the same distance. I would be in favor of a slightly more difficult attempt for kickers since it's mostly automatic at this point.
I could see that. Hypothetically, if the team has a bad snap (I'm assuming no one runs a fake kick from the 10 when they could just set up a running formation at the 2) and manage to convert into the end zone, is that still 2 points then, or would you 'up the ante' to 3 points making it possible to fake kicks from the 10 (with some reward if you pull it off)?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Just Me wrote:I could see that. Hypothetically, if the team has a bad snap (I'm assuming no one runs a fake kick from the 10 when they could just set up a running formation at the 2) and manage to convert into the end zone, is that still 2 points then, or would you 'up the ante' to 3 points making it possible to fake kicks from the 10 (with some reward if you pull it off)?
Can you presently fake-kick an extra point for two points? I don't think I've EVER seen this done.

I probably wouldn't get too cute with this. Either kick it from further back for the extra point OR the standard two-point conversion attempt.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

dead_poet wrote: Can you presently fake-kick an extra point for two points? I don't think I've EVER seen this done.

I probably wouldn't get too cute with this. Either kick it from further back for the extra point OR the standard two-point conversion attempt.
You could. It seems it would be foolish though, considering you could just run a regular play fro the 2 yard line.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Meh. I don't think it would necessarily increase team's chances to attempt (then, I suppose, what's the point?). They'll probably do it as often as they presently attempt the two-point conversion, depending on the game situation.

I think so too but then, what's the point of the change? All they'd be doing is taking a minimal chance of a missed point down to zero. How does that enhance the game?
The more I think about it, I'm not sure I agree with the added risk of a touchdown only being worth six points if it's a failed attempt. Maybe ditching the potential for only six points and have the additional chance for two more if successfully performing the two-point conversion for a total of 9 points? I dunno. I've never been a fan of the extra point. Though, what about moving the extra point distance back 10 yards?
That last idea makes sense. If the perceived problem is that kicking extra points seems too perfunctory, make it more difficult. However, eliminating the kick and just automatically granting the point doesn't strike me as any sort of improvement at all.
Just Me wrote:And we would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling commissioner! ( :lol: Sorry Jim, all I could think of was Scooby-Doo when you mentioned the "meddlesome commissioner.")
LOL! I had the same thought when I wrote that phrase, which just made me want to use the word meddlesome more. :)
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Sometimes missed attempts are huge for the game. Remember when Longwell missed a snap in the 09 MNF Bears game? If we had that point...that game doesn't go to OT
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

The extra point is doing no harm to the game, and is giving the kicker and holder needed practice so they are not coming out rusty for game winning 40+ yard kicks. Just getting tired of goodell changing #### just to change ####. Leave what isn't broke alone, already.