No more extra point?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: No more extra point?

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: At one point it was far less of a sure thing... I'm not sure exactly when that was the case but it wasn't always the "automatic" afterthought it is today.
In the early days of the NFL they didn't have designated kickers. Other team members would do it. For example in the late 50's and early 60's Paul Hournung (HB-FB-QB) was the kicker for the Packers.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Roger Goodell - C - Free Agent

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports modifying or eliminating the extra point remains a "long way off."

Commissioner Roger Goodell revealed last month that the PAT could eventually be abolished, but as with most major changes, it's not going to happen overnight. Per Rapsheet, one possibility is making PATs longer, while another is automatically awarding seven points and allowing teams the option of a two-point conversion. The latter proposal would strip the automatic seventh point if teams failed to convert. The extra point is a wholly meaningless play at the professional level. It needs to be updated or removed.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Roger Goodell - C - Free Agent

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports modifying or eliminating the extra point remains a "long way off."

Commissioner Roger Goodell revealed last month that the PAT could eventually be abolished, but as with most major changes, it's not going to happen overnight. Per Rapsheet, one possibility is making PATs longer, while another is automatically awarding seven points and allowing teams the option of a two-point conversion. The latter proposal would strip the automatic seventh point if teams failed to convert. The extra point is a wholly meaningless play at the professional level. It needs to be updated or removed.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
The statement highlighted in bold is demonstrably false and I don't think the extra point "needs" to be updated or removed but hopefully, if they eventually end up changing the PAT, they'll come up with a positive modification instead of just eliminating it altogether.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

How about the opposing team gets to choose which player has to kick the PAT? :twisted:

C'mon tell me watching Phil Loadholt try to bang one through the uprights wouldn't enhance the entertainment value of the game!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:How about the opposing team gets to choose which player has to kick the PAT? :twisted:

C'mon tell me watching Phil Loadholt try to bang one through the uprights wouldn't enhance the entertainment value of the game!
Ha! That would be funny.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:How about the opposing team gets to choose which player has to kick the PAT? :twisted:

LOL!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »