Peyton Mannings 7 Yard Lateral

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Peyton Mannings 7 Yard Lateral

Post by Reignman »

So what do people think of this controversy?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... will-stand

When I first saw the play in question I knew right away it was a lateral so I didn't understand why it took them 2 days to "review" the situation. I guess what they really meant is they wanted the hype to die down so they could quietly let the record stand later. There are good arguments for why the record should and shouldn't stand, so it's a tough call.

If Manning knew it would have been ruled a lateral he could have played longer. He came out of the game at halftime when he broke Drew Brees' record by just 1 yard. But later they realized a 7 yard pass should have been ruled a lateral because the pass went backward, so it should have counted as a run, and thus no record for Manning.

Personally I think Manning should be stripped of the record. I like Manning way more than Brees but I don't like this decision at all. The fact that Manning could have went back into the game if he knew it was a lateral shouldn't matter IMO. I don't want to see the Elias Sports Bureau start making feel good calls like this. That's not what they're about. Plus why did Manning come out of the game anyway? Yeah they were up 31-0 but they hadn't clinched home field advantage yet. A half of football and a backup QB could easily allow the other team to crawl back into the game. It's happened before.

And this statement troubles me as well, "During the course of a season, there are many similar plays which could be reviewed by the Elias Sports Bureau". As if that's a valid reason to let the record stand, because clearly he didn't get the record. And who discovered the error to begin with? Clearly someone is reviewing these things. But it troubles me because if there are plays that "could be reviewed" then those plays SHOULD be reviewed. A lot of contracts and bonuses are performance based so shouldn't they get this stuff right? It just sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Now I want to go back and review every swing pass AD caught last year to make sure they weren't actually backward passes which should have been credited as runs. Maybe AD did break Dickersons record last year.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Peyton Mannings 7 Yard Lateral

Post by Funkytown »

Reignman wrote:
Now I want to go back and review every swing pass AD caught last year to make sure they weren't actually backward passes which should have been credited as runs. Maybe AD did break Dickersons record last year.
Do it. Also, write down all the names of players who had holding penalties (or some other stupid penalty) away from the ball that took yards away from Peterson. We need to know who to beat up and how hard. Thank you.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Reignman wrote:So what do people think of this controversy?
I agree with your take on it. It's clearly a lateral. Letting it stand because they assume Manning would have broken the record if he'd stayed in the game sounds reasonable but we're talking about football, which gets rough. He might have come in, been sacked or hit before completing another pass and missed the remainder of the game anyway. If they wanted to make sure he broke the record, maybe a few insurance yards would have been a good idea!

Anyway, I agree that he should be stripped of the record. I'm not in favor of "feel good" calls like this either.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Funkytown wrote: Do it. Also, write down all the names of players who had holding penalties (or some other stupid penalty) away from the ball that took yards away from Peterson. We need to know who to beat up and how hard. Thank you.
Oh you! I'd do it if I could get my hands on all the game tapes. And then I'd send a strongly worded email to the league if I found any discrepancies xD.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh