Joe Buck

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Joe Buck

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Joe Buck is the best commentator on TV. Or so says Yahoo Sports. I cant stand to listen to games he and Aikman host.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Theres the link, Im sure I messed it up so if some mod can fix it, great.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Joe Buck

Post by majorm »

I actually kind of like Buck. And I think Aikman is really good.

Why don't you like them?

My favorite booth group of all-time is the old ESPN pairing of Mike Patrick and Theismann.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Buck also does post season baseball. I may hate that worse then anything.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

I disliked him very much after he said the above caption was "disgusting" announcing the game when Moss did this to Packer fans at Lambeau Field. Really? I thought it was awesome! Screw you Buck.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

purplehaze wrote:Image

I disliked him very much after he said the above caption was "disgusting" announcing the game when Moss did this to Packer fans at Lambeau Field. Really? I thought it was awesome! Screw you Buck.

I agree. Big deal, Moss acted like he mooned the Pakers fans. As if that were some super grotesque gesture. It was legendary IMO, but maybe that makes me an uncouth boor.

I like Aikman better than Buck. Buck seems to have favorite teams, which I don't like.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

purplehaze wrote:Image

He overreacted and said so afterwards; can't hold that against him. He just comes off as a bit arrogant to me like if you come up to him and ask for an autograph; he might stiff you. I may be wrong...

A little OT but am I the only one that misses hose unis? :cry:
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

majorm wrote:I actually kind of like Buck. And I think Aikman is really good.

Why don't you like them?

My favorite booth group of all-time is the old ESPN pairing of Mike Patrick and Theismann.
As a secondary Giants fan, he is a biased piece of #### against any team not named the "Cowboys" and possibly the biggest killjoy announcer. I think the lowest point was when Randy Moss scored the TD against Green Bay years back, pretended to moon the crowd and Joe Buck called it a "disgusting act." He is a biased, bitter man, knows little about the game itself, and constantly goes off on random tangents.

But above all else he sucks the emotion out of EVERY play no matter how epic. Prime example: . And unfortunately he is Fox's guy to cover the big games.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm grateful that I had the wherewithal as a kid and young adult to cherish Summerall/Madden called games, because the transition to Buck has been rough.

Gus Johnson's shtick may get old to some, but I prefer his true passion for sports to be the go-to for Fox than an emotionless and corporate-speak drone.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I'm grateful that I had the wherewithal as a kid and young adult to cherish Summerall/Madden called games, because the transition to Buck has been rough.

Gus Johnson's shtick may get old to some, but I prefer his true passion for sports to be the go-to for Fox than an emotionless and corporate-speak drone.
Loved Madden Summerall, when you heard them at the start of a game, you knew it was a big game.
This space available for rent.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Orion wrote:As a secondary Giants fan, he is a biased piece of #### against any team not named the "Cowboys" and possibly the biggest killjoy announcer. I think the lowest point was when Randy Moss scored the TD against Green Bay years back, pretended to moon the crowd and Joe Buck called it a "disgusting act." He is a biased, bitter man, knows little about the game itself, and constantly goes off on random tangents.
Haha. I KNEW the main reason people would give for not liking him is that he's "biased." EVERY fan thinks announcers are biased against their favorite team and fans of the teams they hate. Every one.

If there was ever an announcer that seemed to me to be biased in favor of a team, it was Madden with the Cowboys. But I despised the Cowboys and so I'm sure I was hearing what I wanted to hear.

I do agree he went overboard on Moss with the "mooning" incident. He apparently didn't know the story of how some Packer fans would moon the team bus as it arrived at the stadium.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

HILARIOUS they give BIllick such a high rating. Dude constantly says player names wrong and says words wrong all the time. I remember one time he was trying to say "albeit", but kept saying it like "all-butt"
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

I have a huge bias against current and former Cowboys, but I have to admit I like Troy Aikman as a color commentator. Informative without being ridiculous (read: John Gruden, who is a clown in the booth). And he can be critical about any team, but not over-the-top dramatic about good or bad plays.

Buck, in my humble opinion, is a waste of carbon. (Okay, that's a little rough. But he is very annoying as a play by play guy). He gets in the way of the game for me. He works a little too hard at shoe-horning some phrase he seems to have dreamed up pregame which needs to describe a given matchup. His Moss moon over-reaction was just another example of how little he knows about the game (Packer fans had a long tradition of really mooning the Vikings bus as it pulled up to Lambeau Field).
"Meet at the quarterback"
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

Ironically, the announce that had the most bias for a player was john Madden and the wild crush he had on Brett Favre. Madden was a great announcer, but he had Gruden-sized gushings about Brett.
"Meet at the quarterback"
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: This.

Plus he's so robotic and condescending and plays favorites. He loves the Packers, Cowboys and Giants. I can't decide which one he loves the most.

Also there's that whole Moss thing. You mighta thought Moss actually pulled his pants down the way Buck reacted meanwhile his partner Collinsworth found it hilarious.
.....ooh collinsworth, he's kind of growed on me since he makes for an annoying nag for any given team :)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Hearing about all these poor announcers makes you miss a guy like Summerall. Billick is extremely inarticulate.