Joe Buck

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

tnvikesfan
Starter

Re: Joe Buck

Post by tnvikesfan »

Sheesh, am I the only one who thought Madden was full of it? He'd build up a player/team until they they did something wrong and then trash them. I was so glad when I didn't have to listen to Madden's BS anymore. Many times as he called our games I wished for a mute button just for him.

I think one of the best out there is Collinsworth. I really like the way he calls games, and he's pretty dang smart on his commentary. He's got a little sarcastic side every so often that I like too, makes me laugh. (sometimes through the tears)
~Ginny~

A woman is only vulnerable while her nails are wet. Even then, she can pull the trigger if she needs to.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Joe Buck is a giant fan of teams that are...

1. Have a hot "marketable" QB
2. Green Bay and Dallas
3. Not the Vikings

He's insufferable when he calls Vikings and Packers games. You can tell what a QB fanboy and marketed teams (Packers, Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers)
fan he is. He slobs QB knob worse than John Madden ever did. He's probably turgid in the booth when he gets to call a Packers game. He's preposterous.
He the most biased, obvious fanboy calling NFL games today.

Also, his voice is fake and atrocious. Shame on people who say he has a "good voice." He has that radio jock FM puker voice, its a total fraud.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

majorm wrote: Haha. I KNEW the main reason people would give for not liking him is that he's "biased." EVERY fan thinks announcers are biased against their favorite team and fans of the teams they hate. Every one.

If there was ever an announcer that seemed to me to be biased in favor of a team, it was Madden with the Cowboys. But I despised the Cowboys and so I'm sure I was hearing what I wanted to hear.

I do agree he went overboard on Moss with the "mooning" incident. He apparently didn't know the story of how some Packer fans would moon the team bus as it arrived at the stadium.
Uhhhhh what? I said the main reason I hate him is he is so monotonous and boring.

But if you don't think he's biased, watch him call any game for that matter and see how quickly he turns to favoritism.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Joe Buck is the best commentator on TV. Or so says Yahoo Sports. I cant stand to listen to games he and Aikman host.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Theres the link, Im sure I messed it up so if some mod can fix it, great.
Link works fine.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Jay Mohr was right how he never shows any emotion. He just raises his voice slightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkCSZKbyL94

"Everything I say from start to finish is the same.
Manning still on his feet, scrambles, Tyree, thrown caught. Greatest catch in Super Bowl history
scrambles thrown caught Tyree."

Joe Buck calling the David Tyree catch in the Super Bowl: Eli in the pocket, moving around a bit, he throws it down the middle long
to Tyree.

Last part jussst a little louder because the stadium has went berserk.

Way everybody I watched that game with reacted to that catch: JESUS HOLY SMOKES MY GOD I AIN'T SEEN A CATCH LIKE
THAT IN YEARS! THAT IS THE GAME WINNER MAN CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT !@#$ ONE OF THE ALL TIME GREAT SUPER BOWL
PLAYS WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

The bar went berserk when he caught that. Joe Buck's pulse didn't raise. Joe Buck is the worst.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I like Gruden and Trico. They should get Erin Andrews in too for the on the field stuff.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I like Gruden and Trico. They should get Erin Andrews in too for the on the field stuff.
Too bad she works for FOX Sports...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I will happily put my hat in on the Buck hate-wagon. Can’t stand the guy. He has openly admitted he isn’t a huge fan of football and you can tell in how boring his broadcasts are. I do not know why Fox thinks that clown is so much better than the rest of their announcers. IMO, on Buck’s best day he is a push with the rest. FYI: There is a facebook group titled “Joe Buck Sucks”. I encourage you all to join for some weakly anti-Buck humor. (Not my group, I just find it funny)

I like Al Michaels and Collinsworth. They are the most professional IMO.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

It's weird that I don't mind Buck doing baseball (his monotone, emotionless play-by-play is perfect for every game played before October), but can't stand his football commentating. These days I'm partial to Mayock and Jim Nantz. I also don't hate Simms.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:It's weird that I don't mind Buck doing baseball (his monotone, emotionless play-by-play is perfect for every game played before October), but can't stand his football commentating. These days I'm partial to Mayock and Jim Nantz. I also don't hate Simms.
I like Mayaock a lot as well. But he seems to just cover the preseason Vike games.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I like Mayaock a lot as well. But he seems to just cover the preseason Vike games.
If I'm not mistaken he's on the NFL Network. He does the Thursday games. Not sure what else he does, though. I don't think he did Vikings preseason games this year (wasn't it PA?), but I could be wrong.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

I use the word that rhymes with Joe's last name. Aikman stepped right in the booth and became a great announcer. I think he's one of the best.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

tnvikesfan wrote:
I think one of the best out there is Collinsworth. I really like the way he calls games, and he's pretty dang smart on his commentary. He's got a little sarcastic side every so often that I like too, makes me laugh. (sometimes through the tears)

Same here. I think Collinsworth and Aikman are the two best ex jock announcers calling games today. On the other hand, I never could understand why Phil Simms is still doing games. He's horrible.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Jay Mohr was right how he never shows any emotion. He just raises his voice slightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkCSZKbyL94

"Everything I say from start to finish is the same.
Manning still on his feet, scrambles, Tyree, thrown caught. Greatest catch in Super Bowl history
scrambles thrown caught Tyree."

Joe Buck calling the David Tyree catch in the Super Bowl: Eli in the pocket, moving around a bit, he throws it down the middle long
to Tyree.

Last part jussst a little louder because the stadium has went berserk.

Way everybody I watched that game with reacted to that catch: JESUS HOLY SMOKES MY GOD I AIN'T SEEN A CATCH LIKE
THAT IN YEARS! THAT IS THE GAME WINNER MAN CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT !@#$ ONE OF THE ALL TIME GREAT SUPER BOWL
PLAYS WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

The bar went berserk when he caught that. Joe Buck's pulse didn't raise. Joe Buck is the worst.
That Tyree play is my go-to of why Buck is terrible. That play had the potential to be a signature call, but Joe was too busy checking his email or something to get excited about it.

Contrast that with his own call of Mark McGwire's 62nd home run, he went nuts. "He did it! He did it! He did it in St Lou!"