NFL's new overtime is a mess; here's how to fix it

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

NFL's new overtime is a mess; here's how to fix it

Post by Mothman »

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_24 ... es-how-fix
The ostensible purpose of NFL overtime is 1) to declare a winner and avoid a tie and 2) to do so quickly. If ties were acceptable, I assume the league would not bother to even have overtime.

In recent years, as offenses gradually gained an ever stronger upper hand over defenses, it became clear that the former sudden-death format gave too much advantage to the winner of a trivial coin flip. We saw time and time again as a team won the coin toss, got a decent kickoff return, earned a couple of first downs, and kicked a long field goal without even a whimper from the unlucky loser of the coin-flipping contest. Something needed to be done.

And, unfortunately, “something” was done. The current format is a mess because its effects are contrary to both stated purposes of overtime. It increases the chances of a tie — like the one we saw on Sunday between the Packers and Vikings — while prolonging the overtime period.
There's more at the link, including these 3 suggested changes and explanations for them:

1. Restore pure sudden-death rules.
2. Move the starting point following a touchback to the 15-yard line.
3. Eliminate the arbitrary coin toss and give the home team the option to receive.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: NFL's new overtime is a mess; here's how to fix it

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_24 ... es-how-fix
There's more at the link, including these 3 suggested changes and explanations for them:

1. Restore pure sudden-death rules.
2. Move the starting point following a touchback to the 15-yard line.
3. Eliminate the arbitrary coin toss and give the home team the option to receive.
I like the new format. I think I'm in the minority though.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I like the new format. I think I'm in the minority though.
Perhaps, but a lot of people seem to like it. Personally, I don't like it. For me, it's just another symptom of what's wrong with the game now and, as that article points out, it seems contrary to the purpose of overtime. It increases the chances of a tie when the whole point of OT is to determine a winner.

I like the writer's suggested change of returning to sudden death overtime. I think starting at the 20 after a touchback would still be fine so I don't see a need to change that and I don't like the idea to give the home team the option to receive. I'd stick with a coin flip.

In other words, I guess I'd prefer to just go back to the old system! :lol: What I'd really like to see is a rules adjustment that favors offense less. I think that would solve the issue people had with the old sudden death format and improve the game as a whole. Let defenders play defense again!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Perhaps, but a lot of people seem to like it. Personally, I don't like it. For me, it's just another symptom of what's wrong with the game now and, as that article points out, it seems contrary to the purpose of overtime. It increases the chances of a tie when the whole point of OT is to determine a winner.

I like the writer's suggested change of returning to sudden death overtime. I think starting at the 20 after a touchback would still be fine so I don't see a need to change that and I don't like the idea to give the home team the option to receive. I'd stick with a coin flip.

In other words, I guess I'd prefer to just go back to the old system! :lol: What I'd really like to see is a rules adjustment that favors offense less. I think that would solve the issue people had with the old sudden death format and improve the game as a whole. Let defenders play defense again!
I get what the NFL was trying to do. I dislike the coin flip, though, as it does seem to give the winner of the menial activity much more of an advantage. How about some kind of rugby scrum? Or forced onsides kick? Basically, I just want something exciting and physical that requires a bit of talent over blind luck. Or adopt a soccer-like shootout with kickers trading 50-yard kicks; the first one to miss, the other team gets the ball. That places more emphasis on having a good kicker. I don't know...SOMETHING other than the stupid coin flip. THEN the first one to score, wins. I'd be cool with that.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I get what the NFL was trying to do. I dislike the coin flip, though, as it does seem to give the winner of the menial activity much more of an advantage. How about some kind of rugby scrum? Or forced onsides kick? Basically, I just want something exciting and physical that requires a bit of talent over blind luck. Or adopt a soccer-like shootout with kickers trading 50-yard kicks; the first one to miss, the other team gets the ball. That places more emphasis on having a good kicker. I don't know...SOMETHING other than the stupid coin flip. THEN the first one to score, wins. I'd be cool with that.
How about a foot race between head coaches? ;)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: How about a foot race between head coaches? ;)
Come on, Jim. Be realistic. :o
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

It increases the chances of a tie when the whole point of OT is to determine a winner.
Then play until it's decided. Who cares if the game goes an extra hour(or two or three). Stop sucking and win. I'm not a fan of the coinflip, especially a playoff coin flip. I think if they just did it the same as the playoffs(keep adding 15 minutes, no ties), it's fine
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Come on, Jim. Be realistic. :o
Thank God Mike Tice isn't our caoch any more!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

It's not a mess. I don't agree with a single sentiment expressed in that article.

It's more equitable, making the winner of the coin toss less likely to win the game. If it means more ties, so be it. Ties ARE acceptable in the regular season, otherwise they'd play two, three, four, five ... OT periods.

Granting the option to receive to the home team (or the away team, or the team with the most vowels in their last names) accomplishes absolutely nothing.

There's nothing that says the process is meant to be quick, or they wouldn't be playing a full 15 minute OT period. Why not 10 or 5 minutes?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: I get what the NFL was trying to do. I dislike the coin flip, though, as it does seem to give the winner of the menial activity much more of an advantage. How about some kind of rugby scrum? Or forced onsides kick? Basically, I just want something exciting and physical that requires a bit of talent over blind luck. Or adopt a soccer-like shootout with kickers trading 50-yard kicks; the first one to miss, the other team gets the ball. That places more emphasis on having a good kicker. I don't know...SOMETHING other than the stupid coin flip. THEN the first one to score, wins. I'd be cool with that.
This was probably the only good thing to come out of the XFL. Put the ball at the 50 and have two guys run full sprint from opposite directions, whoever comes up with the ball wins.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:This was probably the only good thing to come out of the XFL. Put the ball at the 50 and have two guys run full sprint from opposite directions, whoever comes up with the ball wins.
LOL! I forgot about that!
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

There was no OT in the regular season before 1974 I think. I am fine with it if they go back to this traditional approach. The Vikings have not had a tie since 1978 so I am not sure the issue of ties is worthy of more than cursory discussion given their rarity.

With respect to the change in OT rules, I believe that the Vikings-Packers tie on Sunday was both the first game where FGs were traded on the first possession of OT and the first tie under the new system. It's impossible to know how frequently the new OT rules will extend games long term but the short term answer is not much. So in general, I am fine with the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Kicker duel.

Start at the 5 yard line for each kicker, and move back 5 yards each attempt until one of the kickers miss, then the other kicker has to prove the miss by making that same yardage. That would really change the draft.

And, no QB's are getting injured. :lol:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I like this game!

How about each team gets one offensive snap from their own goal line. The team to get the most yards gets the ball first. Extra point rules for INTs, fumbles, etc. As many tie-breakers as it takes.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:I like this game!

How about each team gets one offensive snap from their own goal line. The team to get the most yards gets the ball first. Extra point rules for INTs, fumbles, etc. As many tie-breakers as it takes.
I say they each have to play Bizarro football to decide who gets the ball first in overtime. Each team gets one possession but the defensive players have to play offense and the offensive players play defense. The team that gains the most yardage on that possession gets the ball first and then the REAL overtime begins. ;)