Who will surprise and who will regress?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Who will surprise and who will regress?

Post by Mothman »

NFL.com writers and "experts" make their predictions:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ll-regress

I'll say the Saints will be better and the Seahawks will regress. I don't think Seattle will be an 11 win team again this season and with Sean Payton back and Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator, I expect the Saints to improve on their 7 win season in 2012.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Who will surprise and who will regress?

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:NFL.com writers and "experts" make their predictions:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ll-regress

I'll say the Saints will be better and the Seahawks will regress. I don't think Seattle will be an 11 win team again this season and with Sean Payton back and Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator, I expect the Saints to improve on their 7 win season in 2012.
The offense will be better but even Rob Ryan is going to have problems with all the injuries that already weak unit has sustained.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: The offense will be better but even Rob Ryan is going to have problems with all the injuries that already weak unit has sustained.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't actually expect the Saints defense to be good! :) I just think they'll improve enough that, along with the Payton's return and improvement on offense, they'll improve on that 7-9 record.

I think the Rams may be a surprise in the NFC West. I think they could finish with a winning record this year, perhaps even make it into the playoffs as a wildcard.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think the same about the Rams.... but the more I read it sounds to be less and less of a surprise.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I have Seattle winning the West with the Rams taking 2nd. Obviously, that means I feel the 49ers regress.

I also see big things coming for the Browns. As in a playoff team.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

I think the Ravens will "surprise" everyone and make the playoffs. Seems like everyone just assumes they're gonna be bad this year. They did lose quite a few players but a lot of those guys were old and declining anyway. They still have great Pro-Bowl caliber players on both sides of the ball. Great coach and front office too. It's weird though, even though they're the defending SB champs it seems like they've flown under the radar lately...but when you do hear something about them it's generally negative.

I agree with others that teams like the 49ers and Seahawks will regress, but I'll throw another one in that I haven't seen yet: Pittsburgh. Finished 8-8 last year and could very well end up as the worst team in their division. Letting Mike Wallace and James Harrison leave could prove to be very unwise. Too much is riding on the health of some aging and injury-prone players (Rothlisburger and Polamalu)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HornedMessiah wrote:I agree with others that teams like the 49ers and Seahawks will regress, but I'll throw another one in that I haven't seen yet: Pittsburgh. Finished 8-8 last year and could very well end up as the worst team in their division. Letting Mike Wallace and James Harrison leave could prove to be very unwise. Too much is riding on the health of some aging and injury-prone players (Rothlisburger and Polamalu)
That's an interesting one! It would be very unusual to see Pittsburgh on the bottom of that division but it could happen, especially if PacificNorseWest is right and the Browns end up being a playoff team.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Mothman wrote:That's an interesting one! It would be very unusual to see Pittsburgh on the bottom of that division but it could happen, especially if PacificNorseWest is right and the Browns end up being a playoff team.
It hasn't happened in quite a while but it's a good possibility. I think they still have oline issues and their new 2nd round RB is already having foot problems. Now that Mike Wallace is out of the picture, it doesn't look like they have a lot of weapons on offense. When you compare them to other teams in their division, they have arguably the least amount of talent.

I think the NFC West will be full of surprises this year. Rams and even the Cardinals will be better than people expect and it could end up as the toughest division in the league.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Sean Payton being back is the most overrated story line ever. The Saints won't be magically better because that pill popping head coach will be there chewing his juicy fruit on the sidelines.

"Payton aka any head coach": Hey. Um. Drew...do that pass thing to Graham. hehehe
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I honestly do not see why the Saints are being touted as Super Bowl contenders this year.

Last time I checked, their defense was last in the NFL and is going through transition. They hardly have the personnel to run an effective 3-4 defense. I doubt the unit will be much better this season.

Drew Brees is a great QB, but he isn't getting any younger. Throw in the uncertainty at left tackle and left guard and you have a recipe for an aging QB to be on his back quite a bit, despite his quick release.

But hey, let them have Sean Payton back and let them be highly touted. It will be even better watching them collapse and turn in an 8-8 record this year.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I don't think the Saints defense is good at all. They will struggle to win close games....which is every game in their division.

Also, I don't see the case for the Niners regressing. If they can stay healthy they should be right there vcome playoff time. Kaepernick is way more than just a runner and I expect him to be a continued nightmare for most teams he faces...until someone finds a method for putting some real hits on him.
I just don't see enough emphasis by other teams in the confernce making a big enough committment to defense....except for the teams in the West, to stop that kind of athelete.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but the Niners are my pick outta the NFC.

I see the Redskins regressing....but most of the other playoff teams seem to be on the uptick IMO.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

New quarterback, embarrassment from last season and a new locker room mentality, I think the Chiefs will make some noise this year. Wild card at best, but who knows. I don't think they will wallow at the bottom again.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

indianation65 wrote:New quarterback, embarrassment from last season and a new locker room mentality, I think the Chiefs will make some noise this year. Wild card at best, but who knows. I don't think they will wallow at the bottom again.

...wisdom
I definately think that the Chiefs will make the biggest turn around and will challenge the Broncos for the division.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think Houston will regress some... although they may still make the playoffs. I think Cincinnati could be pretty good this season. Buffalo may sneak up on some teams, but I don't see them going better than 8-8.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Surprise Regress

Saints Seattle
Cowboys Atlanta
Arizona ` Pittsburg

I hate saying the cowboys but they had a different feel from what i have seen so far.
Atlanta had an easy road last year. The Saints are pissed and ready to crush the NFL
for their spanking last year. Pittsburg is old and not talented. I see them coming in third
at best in their own division. Both Baltimore and Bengals are more talented. Arizona has
a lot of talent and under rated talent. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't cost Seattle a
playoff spot this year.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!