Notable NFL News (cuts, signings, injuries, etc.)

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Notable NFL News (cuts, signings, injuries, etc.)

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Josh Gordon's season-long suspension expected to be cut to 8 games when new NFL drug policy is announced
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Funkytown wrote:ESPN - Josh Gordon's season-long suspension expected to be cut to 8 games when new NFL drug policy is announced
Hope so. What a flawed system the NFL has. I understand Marijuana is illegal in most of the country. I am not going to get into my beliefs and a debate about Marijuana because it is not appropriate for this board. What I will say is that while the ultimate responsibility falls on the player, the NFL seriously needs to reconsider how they go about suspending players for Marijuana violations.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Hope so. What a flawed system the NFL has. I understand Marijuana is illegal in most of the country. I am not going to get into my beliefs and a debate about Marijuana because it is not appropriate for this board. What I will say is that while the ultimate responsibility falls on the player, the NFL seriously needs to reconsider how they go about suspending players for Marijuana violations.
What I don't understand is why teams don't test players for alcohol if they're going to test for marijuana. Especially considering there are two teams in states where marijuana is legal so it's not a legal issue there, it's strictly an NFL rule in those states.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:What I don't understand is why teams don't test players for alcohol if they're going to test for marijuana. Especially considering there are two teams in states where marijuana is legal so it's not a legal issue there, it's strictly an NFL rule in those states.
I imagine implementing a policy that didn't apply to the entire league but applied differently to teams and players in different states would be problematic on all sorts of levels. What happens to players from teams in states where marijuana is illegal if they use it during a road trip to play Denver and then test positive back home? Would there be a competitive advantage in free agency for teams in states where pot is legal? Would the NFLPA even agree to a policy like that? It's a can of worms the league probably doesn't want to open.

I think there are legal restrictions on the circumstances in which employers can test for alcohol use and they may even vary from state to state, but I'm not sure about that.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: I imagine implementing a policy that didn't apply to the entire league but applied differently to teams and players in different states would be problematic on all sorts of levels. What happens to players from teams in states where marijuana is illegal if they use it during a road trip to play Denver and then test positive back home? Would there be a competitive advantage in free agency for teams in states where pot is legal? Would the NFLPA even agree to a policy like that? It's a can of worms the league probably doesn't want to open.

I think there are legal restrictions on the circumstances in which employers can test for alcohol use and they may even vary from state to state, but I'm not sure about that.
That makes sense. I wonder if it was legalized throughout the US if it would still be against league rules. I know that employers in the states where it's legal haven't stopped testing and hiring/not hiring based on the results.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Rams DE Robert Quinn agrees to 4-year deal worth just over $66.5M ($41.2M guaranteed), sources tell ESPN
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Vikings call up Banyard from practice squad.
http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/analys ... tice-squad
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Released line for the pickup of banyard
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 353392de15
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - No drug policy agreement, suspended Broncos WR Wes Welker, Cowboys CB Orlando Scandrick not reinstated
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Panthers deactivate DE Greg Hardy amid domestic violence case that is awaiting jury trial
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Giants CB Walter Thurmond done for season with torn pectoral muscle, will have surgery Tuesday - source
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Redskins QB Robert Griffin III says MRI shows no fracture in ankle, optimistic for return this season
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:ESPN - Redskins QB Robert Griffin III says MRI shows no fracture in ankle, optimistic for return this season
Wow, after seeing that injury yesterday, I'm surprised by that result. I wouldn't think a human ankle could bend the way his ankle did without it resulting in a fracture. Good for RGII!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Chargers RB Ryan Mathews has sprained MCL in right knee, could miss 4-5 weeks, according to report
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Jaguars TE Marcedes Lewis (high ankle sprain) out 6-8 weeks; WR Allen Hurns (ankle sprain) day to day