Patriots released veteran WR Michael Jenkins

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Patriots released veteran WR Michael Jenkins

Post by dead_poet »

He couldn't make one of the most iffy receiver situations in the league.

And he was our starter last year.

Just saying, perhaps that contributed just a bit to the poor pass offense last season. Maybe.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Patriots released veteran WR Michael Jenkins

Post by vikeinmontana »

dead_poet wrote:He couldn't make one of the most iffy receiver situations in the league.

And he was our starter last year.

Just saying, perhaps that contributed just a bit to the poor pass offense last season. Maybe.
with one of the best qb's in the league who I have been told could make even a moron off the street a pro-bowl receiver. apparently not even tom brady can make Jenkins a solid receiver. or even an average receiver. or even a receiver with a job! but he was our go-to for much of the season. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

That's not very surprising.

First, the Patriots signed Danny Amendola. Then they made WR a priority in draft, and it now looks like they have three rookie WRs that will make the team. Second and fourth round draft picks Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce, plus an incredible surprise find in undrafted rookie Kenbrell Thompkins, who many have said has been the best player on the Patriots offense this summer. Add in a couple of returning veterans in Julian Edelman and Matthew Slater, and that doesn't leave a lot of room for anyone else.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Eli wrote:That's not very surprising.

First, the Patriots signed Danny Amendola. Then they made WR a priority in draft, and it now looks like they have three rookie WRs that will make the team. Second and fourth round draft picks Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce, plus an incredible surprise find in undrafted rookie Kenbrell Thompkins, who many have said has been the best player on the Patriots offense this summer. Add in a couple of returning veterans in Julian Edelman and Matthew Slater, and that doesn't leave a lot of room for anyone else.
Not surprising? But it sure is telling.

I think the main point was that this guy was one of our "top guys" last year and he can't even make the freakin' team on a team that has lost a good amount of their offensive weapons from last season and has a fair amount of uncertainty there. It just goes to show how BAD our WR group was compared to others around the league. Yikes.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

MelanieMFunk wrote:I think the main point was that this guy was one of our "top guys" last year and he can't even make the freakin' team on a team that has lost a good amount of their offensive weapons from last season and has a fair amount of uncertainty there. It just goes to show how BAD our WR group was compared to others around the league. Yikes.
Put it this way: If the Vikings had three rookie wide receivers who were going to make the squad this year: Cordarrelle Patterson, 'John Smith' and 'Bob Jones', plus a big money signing in Greg Jennings, plus two returning veterans, where would anyone else signed in the offseason fit into that?
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Eli wrote: Put it this way: If the Vikings had three rookie wide receivers who were going to make the squad this year: Cordarrelle Patterson, 'John Smith' and 'Bob Jones', plus a big money signing in Greg Jennings, plus two returning veterans, where would anyone else signed in the offseason fit into that?
I get it, but one of our starters can't even make the team elsewhere just one short year later? Can't beat out some late-pick/undrafted rookies? Our starter can't do that? It's sad. No other way to put it. I'm glad we don't have would-be-number-6-WRs-on-other-teams starting for our team anymore. :thumbsup: I like Jenkins, but he's not starter material. Not even for the little ol' Vikings.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I like Jenkins a lot .. The Patriots have people that can catch the ball and get first downs ..

Unless our Wide outs have improved a lot, which I think they have Jennings, Rudolf, and Wright
I expect to be solid .. Jenkins and Rudolf were are only dependable first down guys last year ..

Burton seems to be proving me wrong , with his blocking and return ability so far
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Jenkins could still fine a job for a team that needs a guy with reliable hands as a chain mover. Maybe reunited with Vick in Philly perhaps? 49ers even?
This space available for rent.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

And I was "negative" for saying the guy wasn't any good. And oh boy watch out he'll start for the Patriots.

http://audiko.net/ringtone/Ally/Randy+M ... g=23472302