Kenechi Udeze knows the other NFL reality

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Kenechi Udeze knows the other NFL reality

Post by dead_poet »

Kenechi Udeze, who retired due to leukemia, was denied eligibility for the NFL's disability program.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... fl-reality
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Kenechi Udeze knows the other NFL reality

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I liked Udeze a lot from the moment they drafted him. I know some were not very high on him, but he was one of my favorites right from the start. It is really too bad that he had to retire for the reason he did.
I don't understand the NFL sometimes. It seems like they say one thing and do another. I wish him well in his recovery, and it would be nice to see him as a coach on the Vikings sidelines or something someday.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Kenechi Udeze, who retired due to leukemia, was denied eligibility for the NFL's disability program.
I don't understand why he would think he qualifies, when his medical problems have nothing to do with having played football.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Eli wrote: I don't understand why he would think he qualifies, when his medical problems have nothing to do with having played football.
You're confusing Disability Insurance with Worker's Compensation.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

glg wrote: You're confusing Disability Insurance with Worker's Compensation.
No. The disability he's claiming is written into the NFL player's agreement. As I understand it, you can make a claim for either an injury that was caused by playing in the NFL, or else an illness that leaves you 100% disabled. I suppose he's claiming the latter, but it's not hard to see why the NFL would deny his claim when all he's dealing with is neuropathy. Even if that condition leaves him unable to coach football, there are a million other careers that he can pursue.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

like it or not the NFL is a business ..

Businesses have to turn a profit and seem like good guys while doing it ..

I have a Udeze replica Jersey and was really rooting for him to make a comeback

I hope it works out for him ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!