NFL Future Power Rankings: Bears lagging

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PackFanInChiTown
Waterboy

Post by PackFanInChiTown »

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/print?id=57314

You might have noticed this week that the ESPN.com Insider group posted its annual NFL Future Power Rankings , a projection that assesses how all 32 teams have positioned themselves for three years down the road. Don't view this project as a prediction of how teams will finish in 2016, but rather an analysis of how well each team is set up (or not) for sustainable success.

You'll need an Insider subscription to read the entire file, and on this occasion I'm only authorized to sneak you an excerpt of the analysis from one NFC North team. I thought the most interesting was the relative alarm with which the project views the future of the Chicago Bears.

The Bears ranked No. 22 overall (and last in the NFC North) in terms of their long-term path. As we've discussed often, their roster is aging, especially on defense. Their top three defensive players -- defensive end Julius Peppers, linebacker Lance Briggs and cornerback Charles Tillman -- could easily be gone by the 2016 season.

Moreover, the Bears' recent draft classes have produced a limited talent influx. The most recent hit has been the decision to give up on 2011 first-round pick Gabe Carimi and, as draft analyst Mel Kiper wrote: "[W]hile trades have been part of it, the Bears have almost nothing to show from the top of the draft from 2006 to 2011 on the current roster, and the 2012 class is still under review. Hopefully 2013 is the start of a string of success."

In fact, there are only 10 players remaining from the five drafts between 2006 and 2010, and already the Bears have parted ways with four of their 11 choices from 2011-12.

Also factoring in is the contract status of quarterback Jay Cutler, who could be a free agent after this season. It's difficult to project stability at the most important position when Cutler's financial position is so precarious.

There is genuine and legitimate postseason talk for the 2013 Bears. In 2016? It seems clear that there is much work left to be done.
PackFanInChiTown
Waterboy

Re: NFL Future Power Rankings: Bears lagging

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1g ... ores_only/
I saw a post here early about the NFL future power rankings on espn.com, which just contained a link. People were asking for the scores, so I thought I'd share.

Please note there is text in the article, but I didn't feel comfortable sharing that, as it is a pay wall. Simple scores, as well as the metrics they used, however, I was able to reconcile with myself. So here goes:

In evaluating each team, our analysts broke down five facets deemed critical to the long-term health of a franchise:
  • The roster (minus the QB) as it projects in 2016, emphasizing players 27 and younger (32.5%)
  • The franchise quarterback as he projects in 2016 (17.5%)
  • The strength of a team's 2013 draft picks and their available picks in future drafts (15%)
  • The reputation and performance of the front office (15%)
  • The stability and acumen of a team's coaching staff (20%)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for posting that info. The Bears drafting issues could certainly catch up with them over the next few years if they don't start "hitting" on more picks.

Overall, I found the criteria far too subjective to consider this much more than something fun to talk about.
PackFanInChiTown
Waterboy

Mothman wrote:Thanks for posting that info. The Bears drafting issues could certainly catch up with them over the next few years if they don't start "hitting" on more picks.

Overall, I found the criteria far too subjective to consider this much more than something fun to talk about.
You can never read too much into some silly power poll written in June. It's column filler for bored sports writers who need to post something, but still fun to talk about.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PackFanInChiTown wrote: You can never read too much into some silly power poll written in June. It's column filler for bored sports writers who need to post something, but still fun to talk about.
Exactly!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

PackFanInChiTown wrote:You can never read too much into some silly power poll written in June.
Rather than one written in October? What's the difference? It's just someone's opinion. Fans will be whining just as hard in December that their team is ranked too low.

Ultimately, one team emerges victorious in any football season, and the rest are losers. Whether the winners and losers are ranked #1 or #32 doesn't make a shred of difference. Power rankings can be interesting any time of year, but they are _always_ filler.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The Patriots are pretty high, Without Welker ...

Gronkowski hurt and recovering from five operations

Aaron Hernandez possibly going to prison

Tom Brady numbers will suffer
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PackFanInChiTown
Waterboy

Eli wrote: Rather than one written in October? What's the difference?
Ultimately nothing of course. The only difference between a poll from June or October however is there's 4-8 games already in the history books, early injuries, etc.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

jackal wrote:The Patriots are pretty high, Without Welker ...

Gronkowski hurt and recovering from five operations

Aaron Hernandez possibly going to prison

Tom Brady numbers will suffer
What!?

So you're saying even a QB as highly respected and talented as Brady needs quality receivers or his preformance will suffer? Crazy!!

:)