Hernandez arrested + released from Pats

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Hernandez arrested + released from Pats

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote:Wow. News outlets are reporting that Hernandez has just been released from the Patriots :shock: :shock:
Yeah. Just got the text from ESPN. I figured it might happen anyway. The Patriots are serious about avoiding drama and distractions--much less serious than this.

That's the least of his worries. Can't play ball in prison anyway--well...not this kind of ball.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

The text I received a bit ago:

ESPN SportsCenter - Patriots release TE Aaron Hernandez following his arrest in connection with homicide investigation
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thanks ... yeah, it's all over the place now.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Aaron Hernandez - TE - Free Agent

Patriots waived TE Aaron Hernandez.

The Patriots clearly have no faith that Hernandez will be exonerated following his Wednesday morning arrest. They're willing to eat a ton of money in bonuses and guaranteed base salaries, and will be facing roughly $10 million in dead money against the salary cap over the next two seasons. The Pats are also left with perhaps the weakest group of pass-catchers in the entire NFL. Their statement: "A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do." Hernandez is now subject to waivers, meaning any team can submit a claim by 4 p.m. Thursday. We'd be shocked if anyone does.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Just speculation at this point, but on NFL Network right now they are discussing that what went down this morning probably indicates a much more serious crime/charge than obstruction of justice. I guess time will tell.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

innocent people get arrested too. doesn't look good for him hopefully the truth will come out in court.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I read an article at ESPN that said there is neighborhood surveillance footage of Hernandez and a couple of others with the victim the night of the murder. It'll be interesting to see if they can get to the bottom of this. The guy looks to be in serious trouble now.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

hibbingviking wrote:innocent people get arrested too. doesn't look good for him hopefully the truth will come out in court.
True, but innocent people usually don't destroy their own home security system and intentionally smash their cellphone to pieces. I'm sure Hernandez' lawyers will concoct some ridiculous story to explain the damaged electronics (it was a burgler and it happened days before the murder!)

The fact that the Pats released him already tells me that they know more than what the public knows at this point.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Aaron Hernandez - TE - Free Agent

A source tells Profootballtalk.com to "assume the worst" regarding the overall Aaron Hernandez situation.

Police did not treat Hernandez like someone accused of obstruction Wednesday morning. They had seven officers take him into custody and staged a perp walk in broad daylight in front of the assembled media. They could have just asked him to turn himself in and save face. Additionally, the Patriots likely have more information than we have right now regarding Hernandez's exact charge and what evidence authorities have against him. They released him Wednesday morning.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

---
My guess is accessory to murder.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

HornedMessiah wrote: True, but innocent people usually don't destroy their own home security system and intentionally smash their cellphone to pieces. I'm sure Hernandez' lawyers will concoct some ridiculous story to explain the damaged electronics (it was a burgler and it happened days before the murder!)

The fact that the Pats released him already tells me that they know more than what the public knows at this point.
I agree he probably was directly or indirectly involved. but i'm sure there are a few innocent people in prison. i'm sure the truth will come out.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

FOX 25 just said Hernandez will go to Bristol County Jail after arraignment. This is a no bail situation.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Who do the Pats have for TE now? I'm sure they have a couple on the depth chart, but between this and Gronk their passing game may be in serious trouble. If Amendola stays healthy he might get 150 receptions.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

With the story sounding the way it is, everybody is already screaming guilty. We need to hear more about this story first. This is definitely some sad news. I hope they the authorities can find out if Hernandez had anything to do with the killing or not. He was a very good player. This investigation could determine is career.
Last edited by King James on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Watching live on NFL Network. Charged with murder.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MelanieMFunk wrote:Watching live on NFL Network. Charged with murder.
:shock: