Jay Cutler, Mike Tice reportedly had 'liaison'

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Jay Cutler, Mike Tice reportedly had 'liaison'

Post by dead_poet »

Jay Cutler is no stranger to infighting with his coaching staff. He forced his way out of Denver after hearing reports that former head coach Josh McDaniels was working the back-channels to trade for Matt Cassel.

Prior to pitching that fit, Cutler reportedly asked for a trade shortly after the Broncos lost offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates to the college ranks.

It comes as no surprise, then, that a major rift developed between Cutler and former Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice last season. The communication between the two broke down to the point where backup quarterback Josh McCown was forced to serve as a "liaison", reports Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

"I was just talking to McCown this morning," wide receiver Brandon Marshall said this week, "and one of the things we said is it's so cool to come to work where it's not one of those things where it's dreadful."

Although Cutler petulantly blew off Tice during an early-season victory over the Dallas Cowboys, both parties insisted afterward that the incident was overblown. It's not clear why the two stopped talking or whether it was Cutler or Tice who instigated the freeze-out.

Cutler was portrayed as an immature diva in the 2006 book, "A Few Seconds of Panic," after author Stefan Fatsis spent the summer as a kicker with the Broncos. It's going to be hard to shed that reputation if he continues to feud with his coaches. Fortunately for Bears fans, Cutler is getting along swimmingly with the new coaching staff.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... witter_atl
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Jay Cutler, Mike Tice reportedly had 'liaison'

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Along with Romo, he is the most overrated QB in the league. He is also a Diva and an idiot.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Say what you want about Mike Tice the coach ... Mike Tice the person seems like probably one of the easiest people to get along with that I can think of. This says a lot about Cutler's personality in my opinion.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

They call him "Cry Baby Cutler" for a reason!!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

While I agree that Jay Cutler is a bit of a prima donna, it's also clear that he does not suffer idiots. That's just pure bad luck having to deal with both Josh McDaniels and Mike Tice in one lifetime. Thankfully for him, both experiences were short lived.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Can you imagine having Cutler as your QB now and saying "let's trade for Cassel" now?
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I would take Cutler over Romo ...

If I had to pick any QB in the league currently I think I would take Luck because of his talent
and long career ahead of him..

RGIII is a great talent, but I can injuries see really shortening his career with his running
style
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

Cutler over Romo? Well.... Cutler just plain sucks unimaginable, Romo is leaned on like he is an elite QB and isn't.
Both options suck but if you could get Romo for under 2 mil. it maybe interesting other than that forget them both.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote:Cutler over Romo? Well.... Cutler just plain sucks unimaginable, Romo is leaned on like he is an elite QB and isn't.
Both options suck but if you could get Romo for under 2 mil. it maybe interesting other than that forget them both.
It's fitting our new house will have so much glass. :lol:
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

Demi wrote: It's fitting our new house will have so much glass. :lol:
Those in glass houses eh? Everyone calls out Ponder so it's not like it needed to be mentioned (or your snipe either, I know you can't resist with your lack of admiration for Ponder)... Cutler for some reason escapes scrutiny and so gets called out for viscous sucking.

Either Ponder gets better (I'm thinking he probably improves a good deal) or...
he gets benched and Cassel gets us to a SB I don't care either way, as long as we get there.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

[quote="Skoltastic_Voyage"]Those in glass houses eh? Everyone calls out Ponder so it's not like it needed to be mentioned (or your snipe either, I know you can't resist with your lack of admiration for Ponder)... Cutler for some reason escapes scrutiny and so gets called out for viscous sucking.

Cutler escapes scrutiny? The guy plays under a microscope. He's been one of the most criticized, vilified players in the game for years.
Galad
Waterboy

Post by Galad »

So I probably shouldn't make my first post here (as a Bears Fan) in a thread about Jay. But I guess I'm just a gluten for punishment. I'll say this though. Tice was beyond clueless as an OC. He lost the respect of his O as the season went on and it showed. Jay is entering his first year with a competent OC since he played for Shanny. I'd hold any predictions of how good or how bad he can be until after this season. I like Ponder, he reminds me of Orton. Good backup. Nothing more.
Die hard Chicago Bears Fan.
PackFanInChiTown
Waterboy

Post by PackFanInChiTown »

Galad wrote: I'd hold any predictions of how good or how bad Jay can be until after this season.
No need to wait there G, Cutler sux! :D