Jags to relocate to London?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you feel about a permanent NFL team in London?

I'm for it!
10%
I'm against it!
80%
I'm excitedly undecided, evidenced by the exclamation point!
10%

Total votes: 20

dead_poet
Commissioner

Jags to relocate to London?

Post by dead_poet »

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora expects the NFL to move a team to London "within the next 10 years," and considers the Jaguars the most likely candidate.

Per La Canfora, "numerous well-connected NFL people have tabbed" the Jags the most likely franchise to hop across the pond. The league's apparent fixation with London makes sense from a dollars and cents standpoint, but not from a logistical one. Aside from the odious travel, there would be the matter of the currency exchange rate and growing a fanbase, among other things. The league won't be able to get by on the novelty factor forever. At some point, the NFL might be better off focusing on strengthening its core product than going down every last revenue stream rabbit hole.
Source: CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... e-best-fit
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Jags to relocate to London?

Post by Eli »

That would be awful.
At some point, the NFL might be better off focusing on strengthening its core product than going down every last revenue stream rabbit hole.
This.

As a fan I'm getting genuinely sick of watching the NFL whore itself out trying to suck up every last possible dime of revenue.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Eli wrote:That would be awful.
This.

As a fan I'm getting genuinely sick of watching the NFL whore itself out trying to suck up every last possible dime of revenue.
Exactly. :nono:
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

This is a terrible, unsustainable idea. The lure of more $$$ (or £££, I guess) is just too strong and they can't resist running down that dead end...again. A London team would never feel like a true part of the NFL and would always be given special treatment. Scheduling concerns and special travel rules, maybe even some kind of unique incentive to lure players into signing and making the move across the pond. It wouldn't take long for other head coaches in the league to start griping about the special treatment and it would result in a big mess.

I just don't see how a team can move to London and maintain success (and profit) without some kind of league hand-holding and favoritism. The only way this would be a worthwhile business venture is if the games consistently draw large crowds, otherwise they'll be losing money and wasting their time. So the team will need a good coaching staff, good players, and be a contender. I don't see that happening without the league playing a role in the management of the team. Hell, it might just be flat-out league owned, no private ownership like all the other teams (or maybe they find a figurehead owner). And then you get into the whole problem of the NFL manufacturing a contender just so they can have a team in Europe
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

i really hate this idea. The NFL has had some stinkers of ideas lately, and this one is the worst of them all.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Football is huge in England but having just ONE franchise there won't cut it. Think about last minute FA pick ups and emergency situations? Nobody wants to be that far out
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

NextQuestion wrote:Football is huge in England but having just ONE franchise there won't cut it.
That's a good point. If they really want to expand into England and maybe mainland Europe then they should go with two or more teams over there. I don't like the idea but from a perspective of expanding the NFL and it's fanbase it makes sense. Sports need rivalries and Europeans are definitely all about regional/national rivalries. If you give the fans over there a reason to hate the team from the next town or neighboring country then all the better. Then they can get all drunk and rowdy and riot.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

jags should relocate too LA imo. although expanding the nfl to areas like London and Toronto one day might be a good idea.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Another thing to consider in all of this is the whole ongoing concussion fiasco. If the NFL is trying to expand into foreign lands, those countries might have an issue with being sold a product that seemingly goes hand-in-hand with brain injury and shortened life spans. It would become even more of an issue if we try to grow the sport in those countries by supporting highschool leagues. It would just lead to more voices calling for heightened safety precautions and overall a further pussification of the game.

Of course, the NFL's PR campaign and heightened awareness of concussions in recent years may also be a way of getting out in front of those potential obstacles to expansion. It lets the league control the debate and gives the sense that they're already addressing the problem internally
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

football is now americas pastime. its nice seeing the Spanish community getting more and more into it. I hope it becomes more popular than soccer around the world someday. maybe its starts in London or mexico city. :thumbsup:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

5 Questions About an NFL Franchise in London - Part One
http://pickwatch.nflpickwatch.com/2013/ ... se-in.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
TheIrishVikingsFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TheIrishVikingsFan »

I'm from Ireland and am against a franchise going to London.
For me it creates to much problems,
Will players go there? maybe fine for a rookie 21 and single...but say 30 year old player with a wife and kids. Will he be willing to uproot his family and go there?
Tax issues.
Flight and schedule issues
and also i think a big problem is support for that team. Yes football has gotten a bigger following in England/ireland due to sky sports and the wembley games (of which im going to). There has also been a increase in people playing the sport etc
But the problem is most, if not all the fans in England etc have chosen teams to be there favorite etc... For example I don't see myself swapping my Vikings jersey for a London Jags jersey. This imo would create problems as you wouldn't quite have home games for this team as it would be dominated by fans of other teams etc.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Great Britian and Europe should have their own major league if the game is so popular there. Over time NFL teams could play exhibition games against that league and ultimately a world championship game, if the competition would merit it. The NFL is greed incorporated...just like the NBA. Isn't there enough money for them as it is?
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

The Breeze wrote:Great Britian and Europe should have their own major league if the game is so popular there. Over time NFL teams could play exhibition games against that league and ultimately a world championship game, if the competition would merit it. The NFL is greed incorporated...just like the NBA. Isn't there enough money for them as it is?
I thought there already was NFL Europe? Key word: was. Gone. Bye Bye.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

MelanieMFunk wrote: I thought there already was NFL Europe? Key word: was. Gone. Bye Bye.
Right, and that was the NFL's league. I'm suggesting that Europe create it's own deal like the AFL...or USFL. If it's popular enough it should flourish....since it would not have to compete directly with the NFL. Maybe they already have a pro league...I don't know.