Jags to relocate to London?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you feel about a permanent NFL team in London?

I'm for it!
10%
I'm against it!
80%
I'm excitedly undecided, evidenced by the exclamation point!
10%

Total votes: 20

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Jags to relocate to London?

Post by Funkytown »

The Breeze wrote: Right, and that was the NFL's league. I'm suggesting that Europe create it's own deal like the AFL...or USFL. If it's popular enough it should flourish....since it would not have to compete directly with the NFL. Maybe they already have a pro league...I don't know.
Yeah. I just meant it didn't work with the NFL backing it, so I doubt it'll work now. A handful of teams couldn't even survive there with their little league. That was just a few years ago, too. Must not be TOO terribly popular over there. I wish we'd just expand here in the U.S. if it is real necessity. I like how things are now, though--minus the London stuff. I guess I'm selfish. 8) I'd rather not see any team relocate, especially not out of the country. Don't like it one bit.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Yeah. I just meant it didn't work with the NFL backing it, so I doubt it'll work now. A handful of teams couldn't even survive there with their little league. That was just a few years ago, too. Must not be TOO terribly popular over there. I wish we'd just expand here in the U.S. if it is real necessity. I like how things are now, though--minus the London stuff. I guess I'm selfish. 8) I'd rather not see any team relocate, especially not out of the country. Don't like it one bit.

I'm with ya. I'd rather see teams in the middle of the US and LA before some kind of across the pond expansion. American football would probably be a heck of lot more popular over there if it was free to watch on TV like it is here on the national stations.

But if there is enough money thrown around, I guess anything is possible.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

viking_guy wrote:i really hate this idea. The NFL has had some stinkers of ideas lately, and this one is the worst of them all.
I feel you, brother. Roger is getting too carried away. I understand that these moves are money driven, but at some point, the product will suffer.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

strange. there is more money in los angeles.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

hibbingviking wrote:strange. there is more money in los angeles.
Then why do teams keep leaving there?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Cliff wrote: Then why do teams keep leaving there?
I think the money is there, it's the stadium that sucks. It's awful for football from a fan perspective. I catch a lot of LA radio where I live and, according to the talking heads, there are wealthy peeps who want to build a new facility and such...but there is no team yet.

Still, between LA and Anaheim there are so many pro sports franchises to follow, an NFL expansion team there might not have enough draw if they don't win immediately.

The Jags to LA makes more sense to me than London. However, I just read somewhere that JVille is putting in 2 video screens that are bigger than the field itself! It means wiping out a bunch of seats but they don't fill the place anyway. They will be the largest screens in the world and part of a $63mill renovation of the stadium. With all that going on it doesn't sound like the Jags are going anywhere any time soon.

Here's a link to the scoreboard story: http://jacksonville.com/news/2013-06-19 ... ards-world
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think Canada will happen before England does .. Its just is a ton of miles and scheduling nightmare for the league
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Turtle Burger
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Turtle Burger »

They need to grow the sport more organically over there rather than just importing a team. You have to start with making high school football popular and then college ball. A lot of the magic of football comes from the fact that so many Americans have a personal connection to the sport. We either played in high school, or went to games, or played in the band or cheerled, or watched the pep rallies and homecoming parades. Europe doesn't have that tradition yet, so shipping a team of American players over won't inspire nearly the passion that is found over here, any more than bringing a team of Indian cricket players to play in the US would fire a cricket craze. If the NFL wants to sell its product overseas it has to start by inspiring local youth teams and letting the sport grow from seed, and foregoing any hopes of immediate profit.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN NFL - NFL to play 3 games in London, hosted by Falcons, Jaguars, Raiders; No opponents or dates set
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

MelanieMFunk wrote:ESPN NFL - NFL to play 3 games in London, hosted by Falcons, Jaguars, Raiders; No opponents or dates set

Cowboys & Jags, Lions & Falcons, and Dolphins & Raiders.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Yes, lets give them our crappiest team, that should help make the sport popular over there :roll: Give them the Packers or the Cowboys xD.

If any team moves to London it'll be the Bucs because their owner Malcolm Glazer already has ties to England. He owns Manchester United and the English Premier League. However I'm against London getting it's own team. Whether it be expansion or moving an existing team over there it would be a bad idea IMO. They need to hold off on this idea until travel technology improves to the point a trip to London only takes a few hours.
TheIrishVikingsFan wrote:But the problem is most, if not all the fans in England etc have chosen teams to be there favorite etc... For example I don't see myself swapping my Vikings jersey for a London Jags jersey. This imo would create problems as you wouldn't quite have home games for this team as it would be dominated by fans of other teams etc.
This is why they should just keep doing what they do now. Just pick some random teams each year to fly over there for a game. Heck I even hate that idea, but I'd rather see a home game get taken away from a fan base vs someone losing their team completely, even if it's the Jags or Bucs
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I think it is bogus that London would get a team before Nevada.

There are 22 states in the U.S. that don't have a football team.

Here are my top picks for obvious relocation potential...

1. Nevada
2. Alabama or Arkansas. The south is nuts for football.
3. New Mexico
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

We knew this, but I just got the stupid text.

I hate this.

ESPN NFL - Roger Goodell wants NFL to return to Los Angeles, bring league to Europe on permanent basis
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

The rumor I heard is Goodell now wants to expand the league to 34 teams with London and LA getting a franchise. 34 teams? How the f*** is that going to work in terms of alignment? 3 divisions with 4 teams and 1 division with 5 teams in each conference? That's just stupid. Not to mention the schedule imbalance it'll create. Alignment and scheduling is perfectly balanced right now.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Reignman wrote:The rumor I heard is Goodell now wants to expand the league to 34 teams with London and LA getting a franchise. 34 teams? How the f*** is that going to work in terms of alignment? 3 divisions with 4 teams and 1 division with 5 teams in each conference? That's just stupid. Not to mention the schedule imbalance it'll create. Alignment and scheduling is perfectly balanced right now.
The NFL has played _many_ seasons where the divisions didn't all have the same number of teams. After they add another six (Paris, Madrid, Munich, Rome, Mexico City, Sidney) to get to 40, they can have five in every division.