RIP Deacon Jones

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

RIP Deacon Jones

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

I was watching some old football on youtube yesterday and was watching some of Deacon's interviews... All I can say is these old school players were tough.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: RIP Deacon Jones

Post by Mothman »

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote:I was watching some old football on youtube yesterday and was watching some of Deacon's interviews... All I can say is these old school players were tough.
Deacon was one of the toughest. He was a truly great player.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting stuff on Deacon. Before my time so it was very informative.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... ers/22958/
The NFL did not make sacks an official statistic until 1982, which was a full eight seasons after Jones retired. Therefore, Jones’ official NFL sack total reads as zero.

But the old game tapes do not lie, nor does the research of historian John Turney, who has documented pre-1982 sacks to create an unofficial list of the true sack leaders. Think of Turney doing for sacks what Captain Comeback has done for fourth-quarter comebacks and game-winning drives, except Turney has been given a cold shoulder from the Elias Sports Bureau for a longer period of time.

The Rams agree with Turney in that Jones had 173.5 sacks in his 191-game career, which would have meant he retired as the all-time sack leader. He has since only been passed by Reggie White (198.0 sacks in 232 games) and Bruce Smith (200.0 in 279 games). Jones’ per-game sack total is higher than both.
It also means Jones would hold the single-season sack record, collecting a stunning 26.0 sacks in 14 games in 1967. Mark Gastineau set the record with 22.0 sacks for the Jets in 1984, until it was Michael Strahan getting that dive from Brett Favre in 2001 to finish with a record 22.5 sacks.

But Jones had 26.0 in a shorter season in a league not as hell-bent on passing the ball. It’s a shame that it’s not officially going to count.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote:Interesting stuff on Deacon. Before my time so it was very informative.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... ers/22958/
Thanks for sharing! This guy was a total beast! Too bad he doesn't really get the credit that he truly deserves. What a shame.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

A guy who played before my time, but I've read and heard about how good that Rams d-line was. Isn't there an interview clip with Joe Kapp somewhere where he says that during a game the Vikings lined up, Kapp got under center, looked at Deacon Jones and said, "Hey Deacon, #### YOU!" and snapped the ball. Pretty funny thing to do, considering how dominant Jones was.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

HornedMessiah wrote:A guy who played before my time, but I've read and heard about how good that Rams d-line was. Isn't there an interview clip with Joe Kapp somewhere where he says that during a game the Vikings lined up, Kapp got under center, looked at Deacon Jones and said, "Hey Deacon, #### YOU!" and snapped the ball. Pretty funny thing to do, considering how dominant Jones was.
Really? That's awesome. Players were bad*** back in the day. I'm a little sad that I never got to witness more of the good ol' days. They were hardcore. Most of the players now can't even compare. Most wouldn't survive in the league from decades ago either.
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

he was a great player. those were the best days for the NFL. Too bad there isn't more players like him today. RIP Deacon.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

deacon jones was a baaaaaaaaaaaad man !!! he must have thought todays players have really gotten soft, at least the nfl.
he seemed like a very good guy but you didn't want to piss him off.
RIP bad man.