Top 10 quarterbacks age 25 or under

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

FK28
Rookie

Top 10 quarterbacks age 25 or under

Post by FK28 »

NFL.com has posted a list of Top 10 quarterbacks age 25 or under. Guess where they ranked Ponder? When will the Vikings wake up and build a team on talent instead of hopeful optimism?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Top 10 quarterbacks age 25 or under

Post by Mothman »

FK28 wrote:NFL.com has posted a list of Top 10 quarterbacks age 25 or under. Guess where they ranked Ponder? When will the Vikings wake up and build a team on talent instead of hopeful optimism?
When fans realize that top 10 articles like this don't mean much?
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

FK28 wrote:NFL.com has posted a list of Top 10 quarterbacks age 25 or under. Guess where they ranked Ponder? When will the Vikings wake up and build a team on talent instead of hopeful optimism?
Not to over analyze here but "talent" probably relates closely to "proven talent" in your mind and "hopeful optimism" is just that...and I relate that closer to "draft picks"--and the growing pains. So basically this is about the whole free agency vs. building through the draft argument. I think building through the draft or with "hopeful optimism" is the best way to go overall. Sometimes it works out and you have yourself some solid "talent" and sometimes it doesn't--and you don't. It is what it is. With that said, sometimes you have to get free agents, as well. :) With that said, free agents don't always work out either. What was the point of this thread again? :D
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

FK28 wrote:NFL.com has posted a list of Top 10 quarterbacks age 25 or under. Guess where they ranked Ponder?
Other than maybe Josh Freeman, there's certainly nobody on that list that many people would rank lower than Christian Ponder, so there are no real surprises in the article.

For me, Ryan Tannehill is the most intriguing. We've already seen what a few of the other QBs on the list can do, but Tannehill had a mixed season in which he showed off a huge amount of potential on a very young team. Still untapped, I think he has a bright future.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Article has nothing to do with the Vikings, please post in the NFL section next time. And also include a link to the list you're referencing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... 5-or-under
FK28
Rookie

Post by FK28 »

S197 wrote:Article has nothing to do with the Vikings, please post in the NFL section next time. And also include a link to the list you're referencing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... 5-or-under
I guess your right, it has nothing to do with the Vikings BECAUSE Ponder is not on the list, but I put it in the Vikings board cause the subject, "PONDER" is a viking. Sorry. LOL!
FK28
Rookie

Post by FK28 »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Not to over analyze here but "talent" probably relates closely to "proven talent" in your mind and "hopeful optimism" is just that...and I relate that closer to "draft picks"--and the growing pains. So basically this is about the whole free agency vs. building through the draft argument. I think building through the draft or with "hopeful optimism" is the best way to go overall. Sometimes it works out and you have yourself some solid "talent" and sometimes it doesn't--and you don't. It is what it is. With that said, sometimes you have to get free agents, as well. :) With that said, free agents don't always work out either. What was the point of this thread again? :D
My point is, most of the time, talent shows quickly. I have seen other teams build quickly with a sort of "produce now" attitude instead of a "we will wait for you" approach. Over the years the Vikings have waited patiently on many players and coaches only to be disappointed. That list is probably too long to post on this forum lol. I would like to see quicker decisions on players that aren't going to cut it instead of wasting years trying to develop them. I am not confident that Ponder can be a great quarterback. I like him as a person, but this is football and we need production. I am guessing by the reply's to my post that there are a lot of people that are confident in Ponder, I hope you guys are correct!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

FK28 wrote:My point is, most of the time, talent shows quickly. I have seen other teams build quickly with a sort of "produce now" attitude instead of a "we will wait for you" approach. Over the years the Vikings have waited patiently on many players and coaches only to be disappointed. That list is probably too long to post on this forum lol. I would like to see quicker decisions on players that aren't going to cut it instead of wasting years trying to develop them. I am not confident that Ponder can be a great quarterback. I like him as a person, but this is football and we need production. I am guessing by the reply's to my post that there are a lot of people that are confident in Ponder, I hope you guys are correct!
I understand where you're coming from but I think Ponder has shown more talent than many give him credit for and people pay WAY too much attention to bottom line stats in this fantasy football era and not enough to in-game situations and performance. Ponder has made some bad choices and had some bad games but he's also led his team to victory and made some great plays. Waiting too long for players to develop can lead to disappointment but pulling the plug on players too quickly can lead to a cycle of try-and-fail options or stopgap solutions.

The only way to see if a player is going to pay dividends after an effort to develop him is to go through the process.