Teams not buying 'Easter Bunny' excuse for moving NFL Draft

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Teams not buying 'Easter Bunny' excuse for moving NFL Draft

Post by dead_poet »

"You'd be hard-pressed to find any football-side person in the league in favor of it,'' said one AFC general manager, who requested anonymity. "Unless you consider having more time for draft preparation a benefit, more time for paralysis by analysis, there's nothing to like. I've tried to think of one (positive), but I haven't yet.''
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/homepa ... z2U1jfypoj
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Teams not buying 'Easter Bunny' excuse for moving NFL Dr

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Why dont they have it in a different city every year. Maybe the team that has the number one pick can host. Then they wouldn't have to worry about the dates.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Why dont they have it in a different city every year. Maybe the team that has the number one pick can host. Then they wouldn't have to worry about the dates.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

That's actually something they're talking about doing. I'd love it if they held the draft here in Chicago! It would be fun to attend.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Hope it gets out of New York. The sooner the better. #### fans should have lost it for them a long time ago. Like a bunch of animals.
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

maybe they could have the super bowl losing team host it..
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The 2014 NFL Draft has been pushed back to May 8-10.

Due to a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall, the draft will be held two weeks later than usual. If this date works out for the NFL in terms of increased interest and revenue created by the extended buildup, it will almost certainly be the new permanent date. As for other events on the league calendar, the timeline stays intact. The Combine will be held Feb. 18-25 and the new league year/free agency will commence on March 11.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

they should have moved the draft to march and free agency to may. teams could fill needs they missed in the draft with free agency and the players drafted would have more time with there new nfl teams.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

hibbingviking wrote:they should have moved the draft to march and free agency to may. teams could fill needs they missed in the draft with free agency and the players drafted would have more time with there new nfl teams.
Never happen. You think teams want the league year/free agency to start _after_ the draft?

At least they didn't change any of the rest of the calendar. The Combine and league year dates stay the same. The thing I don't understand is what's so special about Radio City Music Hall. There must be at least half a dozen venues in New York City that would be just as good for hosting the draft.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Eli wrote: Never happen. You think teams want the league year/free agency to start _after_ the draft?

At least they didn't change any of the rest of the calendar. The Combine and league year dates stay the same. The thing I don't understand is what's so special about Radio City Music Hall. There must be at least half a dozen venues in New York City that would be just as good for hosting the draft.
the draft picks have less time with the playbook now. the nfl just wants to keep interest with fans all year moving it up will gather more interest with mock drafts and fans.