Alex Smith traded

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Alex Smith traded

Post by dead_poet »

IMO that's a bit much.
--

Alex Smith - QB - Chiefs

The 49ers and Chiefs have completed a trade for Alex Smith.

Four years after trading for the Patriots' backup quarterback, the Chiefs have swung a deal for the man who lost his job to Colin Kaepernick. New coach Andy Reid has paid a pretty penny for his starting quarterback as the Chiefs will reportedly send a second-round pick to the Niners in this April's draft and a conditional mid-round pick in the 2014 draft. It's the same kind of price that the Cardinals paid for Kevin Kolb in 2011 and the Chiefs paid for Matt Cassel in 2009. Smith is certainly an upgrade on Cassel, but has proven to be incapable of anything more than game managing for the Niners. Under Reid's pass-happy West Coast scheme, he'll be asked to do a lot more. The deal won't be official until the new league year opens on March 12.

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Alex Smith traded

Post by dead_poet »

Cassel expected to be released. Of note as the Vikes are looking for an upgrade/competition for #2 QB duties.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

dead_poet wrote:Cassel expected to be released. Of note as the Vikes are looking for an upgrade/competition for #2 QB duties.
hope so. vikings need a #2 with experience. looks like ponder maybe injury prone like chad pennington. :smilevike:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

hibbingviking wrote: hope so. vikings need a #2 with experience. looks like ponder maybe injury prone like chad pennington. :smilevike:
Lol. Ponder and Pennington =/= whatsoever. Pennington was savagely beat into submission with three torn rotator cuffs. I don't think Ponder is that injury prone at this point in time.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

As a Vikings fan I shouldn't have a 2nd favorite team, but the AFC team that Wahi'/Indianation65 pulls for is the Chiefs. I'll take Smith and hope for the best.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

If you were going to trade for anyone's 2nd round pick, the Chiefs were certainly the right team, having the #33 pick in the draft. But who do the 49ers now have as a backup to Kaerpernick? Scott Tolzien??? :lol:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Eli wrote:If you were going to trade for anyone's 2nd round pick, the Chiefs were certainly the right team, having the #33 pick in the draft. But who do the 49ers now have as a backup to Kaerpernick? Scott Tolzien??? :lol:
Maybe we can trade them Webb for a bag of balls and a few kicking tees?
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Seems like the general reaction to this is that the 49ers made out like bandits and the Chiefs are stupid. I disagree. Don't get me wrong, draft picks are valuable (especially the pick the Chiefs are giving up) but they're also overrated. There are very few "sure things" in any draft and for the most part it's a crapshoot. So the Chiefs gave up an opportunity to draft a player who may or may not turn into a quality NFL player and in return get a guy who has proven he can play the most important position in all of pro sports. He's not a future HOF stud, but he's shown he's a capable QB. Seems like a fine deal for the Chiefs in a year that has been called one of the worst QB classes in recent memory.

...and maybe this is going to end up biting the 49ers right in the butt. They're completely all-in on Kaepernick now based off of what, 10 games he started? Remember how the entire league was gushing over Cam Newton after his first season, and last season he looked greatly diminished? Same thing is gonna happen to Kaepernick, just watch. I can already see the headlines: "Did Harbaugh & 49ers screw up by trading Smith?"
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

You are telling me that giving up a 2nd in this draft(that would get you arguably the same talent as early 1st rd would) is worth it for a QB that has proven nothing?
That's because this isn't a very good draft. And even in good drafts how often does any second round pick pan out? Smith's QB rating has improved each of his last 4 years. And was having a pretty solid season before the injury. He's been to the playoffs, and QBed a team to a win in the playoffs. Isn't that proving something? He's had success in the NFL. That's "proving something". Is he an elite QB? No. But he's an upgrade over matt cassell. And a heck of a lot more likely to contribute more to the chiefs than that 2nd round pick, whatever position or player, likely will.

He was the best option available. There are no QBs worth taking in the draft, none in free agency. They got a guy with a good amount of starting NFL experience, and success lately, for a 2nd and conditional pick. That's a heck of a deal, what's the alternative? What would you have done differently? Just stuck with Cassell? Drafted some scrub in the draft and spend 3 years proving he wasn't worth putting the franchise on his back?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mrc44 wrote: Just one last thing. For all of you that are all about Alex Smith since his great seasons the last 2 years, where were you in 2005? 2006? 2007? 2008? how about 2009? 2010? Ya, none of you even talked about Alex Smith except for maybe how big of a waste he was for a #1 pick!! YOU CAN NOT EVEN FIND HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS GUY ON YOUTUBE PRIOR TO 2011 BECAUSE HE WAS SOOO BAD!!!
Why is it a bad thing that he learned and improved?

Why does it matter that a team wasted a #1 pick on him? The Vikings didn't do that. The way I see it, the 49ers went through all the growing pains with the guy and now that he finally caught on some other team is reaping the benefits.

Yeah ... he sucked early in his career ... so do a lot of players.
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

Demi wrote: Maybe we can trade them Webb for a bag of balls and a few kicking tees?

that might be too much to ask...
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

mrc44 wrote:I am going to have to disagree with you. I do not understand why people think Alex Smith is a sure thing. The kid was absolutely horrible until Harbaugh showed up. You are telling me that giving up a 2nd in this draft(that would get you arguably the same talent as early 1st rd would) is worth it for a QB that has proven nothing?
Nothing? If anything was proven it's that a QB can finally find success when he gets a decent head coach and has some stability. I think Smith had a different OC each of his first 4-5 seasons and people forget that. That's ridiculous. Kind of hard to learn and play consistently when the coaching staff and team is in a constant state of flux.

Reid is no fool and he knows what kind of QB he's getting. He's a good coach and he seemingly has a knack for making mediocre QBs look better than they really are (McNabb, Kolb, Foles, others I'm sure). I think it's a good chance that it works again. Jamal Charles is there and could be a very potent weapon in the same way that Westbrook was a high-end back for several years under Reid in Philly. I'm sure they want to keep Bowe, but Reid showed for years that he doesn't need elite WR talent for his passing attack to be effective. I won't be surprised if the Chiefs become the top team in the AFC West in 2-3 seasons (around the time that Peyton Manning retires).
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Cassel has looked pretty bad in KC .. I think i would rather work with Bethel Thompson and draft another guy and dump Webb or trade him
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!