New offseason calendar?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

New offseason calendar?

Post by dead_poet »

The NFL is proposing an overhaul to its offseason calendar, pushing back the Scouting Combine to early March, the start of free agency to early April and the draft to early May.

The proposed plan needs to be approved by the NFL Players Association, but the league is reportedly aggressively pushing the changes. Under the proposal, every team would open training camp on the same day in the summer, making it the universal kickoff for football season. The new idea was conjured up in order to lengthen the offseason and have one major event each month, while creating a new revenue stream for the league.
Source: ESPN.com Feb 21 - 10:16 PM
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: New offseason calendar?

Post by dead_poet »

Two people "familiar with the union’s thinking" tell the Washington Post the NFLPA is unlikely to approve a later start to free agency in future seasons.

The NFL reportedly wants to move the Combine to March, free agency to April and the draft to May, but the NFLPA is understandably reluctant to let its players wallow without contracts for any longer than is necessary. According to a source, moving back free agency is "the part that strikes me as (having) no chance." Any alterations to the league calendar would require the NFLPA's approval.
Source: Washington Post
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
glg
Site Admin

Re: New offseason calendar?

Post by glg »

On PTI Tony suggested (I think based on a Schefter suggestion) that this could be a precursor to 18 games.