Facebook info for team 'likes' by county

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Facebook info for team 'likes' by county

Post by Demi »

Just something I thought was a little neat
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/stat ... 60/photo/1
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Facebook info for team 'likes' by county

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

As someone who was raised in South Dakota, I am not surprised when they say the Vikings really are home to more than one state. That is why it was so imperative that the Vikings received a new stadium. Their departure from Minnesota would be felt greatly outside of the state Minnesota.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Sweet map.

I'm amazed how "small" of a fan base Oakland has, and how large Dallas has (area wise).
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

This really never ceases to amaze me. Where do these "studies" get the statisical data to support this :?: I moved out of Minnesota years ago and no one has ever asked or solicited any information from me as to who my NFL team is :? Has anyone else on the board ever been questioned about what NFL team they support? I highly doubt it.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Purple bruise wrote:This really never ceases to amaze me. Where do these "studies" get the statisical data to support this :?: I moved out of Minnesota years ago and no one has ever asked or solicited any information from me as to who my NFL team is :? Has anyone else on the board ever been questioned about what NFL team they support? I highly doubt it.
Voluntary FB metrics. If you live in Iowa and you "Like" the Vikings, you're appropriated there. So this doesn't take into account liking the Vikings but not clicking the "like" button on FB.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

And if only one person in the county on FB clicks it, it'll give the whole county to that team. :lol:
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Demi wrote:And if only one person in the county on FB clicks it, it'll give the whole county to that team. :lol:
Quick! Someone move to one of those empty counties in Montana!

I do like this map, interesting to see how solid some of the state borders are or where a team just barely leaks over a border, like NYG having one county in CT, but that county is NYC suburbs, or same thing with Da Bears having a couple of Indiana and Michigan counties (Chicago burbs in IN, lots of Chicagoans vacation in SW Michigan, so maybe that's what that is).

Funny that the Jets have like 1 or 2 counties on Long Island and that's it.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Does it say what they do if one person likes several teams?
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:As someone who was raised in South Dakota, I am not surprised when they say the Vikings really are home to more than one state. That is why it was so imperative that the Vikings received a new stadium. Their departure from Minnesota would be felt greatly outside of the state Minnesota.
I think you're mistaken, the Dakota's pull for the Ravens xD. And hey look at all those Viking fans in Maryland. Idk, it's hard to tell when they use the same color for multiple teams.
PurpleMustReign wrote:Sweet map.

I'm amazed how "small" of a fan base Oakland has, and how large Dallas has (area wise).
Something tells me that has a lot to do with how bad the Raiders have been the past decade. Most in the area claim to be Niner fans. Dallas I can't explain. I have no idea why so many people like that team. Probably because there's not much of a choice in that part of the country.
glg wrote:I do like this map, interesting to see how solid some of the state borders are or where a team just barely leaks over a border, like NYG having one county in CT, but that county is NYC suburbs, or same thing with Da Bears having a couple of Indiana and Michigan counties (Chicago burbs in IN, lots of Chicagoans vacation in SW Michigan, so maybe that's what that is).

Funny that the Jets have like 1 or 2 counties on Long Island and that's it.
I thought that was interesting too. The Ram counties probably leak over into Illinois due to St. Louis' close proximity to the border, but no Viking counties leaked over into Wisconsin despite the close proximity to the dome. But look how many Steeler counties are in Ohio, damn! And haha no love for the Jets in NY. Probably because the Giants have won 2 bowls recently.

They should do this poll at the beginning of the season every season so we can track how it changes over time. I bet it changes a lot if a particular team is good or bad for an extended period of time. Damn bandwagoners haha. It might be interesting to see what teams other countries like or favor too.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Reignman wrote:Dallas I can't explain. I have no idea why so many people like that team. Probably because there's not much of a choice in that part of the country.

I am pretty sure that it is due to the fact that historically Dallas was "America's Team," meaning that back in the day when only one or two games were televised nationally per week the Cowboys' game was the default broadcast for anywhere that did not have a team in their immediate market.

Outside of the US Dallas tends to have a strong following too because of this same preferential marketing that the NFL has given the Cowboys. When I lived in Mexico that was the standard game shown. My friends down there all cheer for the Cowboys. Pretty annoying.

The other thing that sort of "works" is that many of the areas in the US that don't have a local team are quite rural and there is an immediate identification with the image of the cowboy. Apropos of that, It's been interesting to hear from foreign fans of the Vikings who chose them due to the cool Viking mythos.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

glg wrote:
Quick! Someone move to one of those empty counties in Montana!

LOL.. ROAD TRIP!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Reignman wrote:I thought that was interesting too. The Ram counties probably leak over into Illinois due to St. Louis' close proximity to the border, but no Viking counties leaked over into Wisconsin despite the close proximity to the dome.
I can explain some of that. Outside of Vikes/Pack, Minnesota and Wisconsin have other rivalries, especially Gophers/Badgers in a number of sports. That makes the state border a natural division. Also, the Twin Cities aren't as close to the border as St Louis is. Edward Jones Dome is less than 1/2 a mile from the river, Busch is the same. It's ~18 miles from St Paul or 27 from the Metrodome.

The big thing to understand about IL is that it's two states that often don't get along. There's "Chicagoland" and there's "Downstate". So, people close to St Louis already don't particularly like Chicago, when the Rams moved in, a switch was natural. Probably were a lot of Cardinal fans on the IL side back when they were in StL as well.
Reignman wrote:But look how many Steeler counties are in Ohio, damn!
I work in Columbus here and there and it's a real mixed bag. Neither the Browns nor Bengals really resonate. Browns obviously disappeared for a while and Bengals have had so many bad years. Pittsburgh isn't that far and have been consistently good, so people pick them. For western OH, Roethlisberger is big factor, he's from there and went to Miami.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

glg wrote: I can explain some of that. Outside of Vikes/Pack, Minnesota and Wisconsin have other rivalries, especially Gophers/Badgers in a number of sports. That makes the state border a natural division. Also, the Twin Cities aren't as close to the border as St Louis is. Edward Jones Dome is less than 1/2 a mile from the river, Busch is the same. It's ~18 miles from St Paul or 27 from the Metrodome.

The big thing to understand about IL is that it's two states that often don't get along. There's "Chicagoland" and there's "Downstate". So, people close to St Louis already don't particularly like Chicago, when the Rams moved in, a switch was natural. Probably were a lot of Cardinal fans on the IL side back when they were in StL as well.
I work in Columbus here and there and it's a real mixed bag. Neither the Browns nor Bengals really resonate. Browns obviously disappeared for a while and Bengals have had so many bad years. Pittsburgh isn't that far and have been consistently good, so people pick them. For western OH, Roethlisberger is big factor, he's from there and went to Miami.
I also know a handful of folks originally from Pittsburgh that now live in Columbus. Don't know if that's typical or not, but these data could reflect that.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
LOL.. ROAD TRIP!!
on it... :rock:
i'm ready for a beer.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Talking along the lines of fluctuating territories and stuff like the Raiders losing fan turf over the years, I gotta say that I'm surprised at how big the Saints territory is. Before the Brees era and their SB title that whole area of the deep south was probably divided between Cowboys and Dolphins fans. That's what a SB victory will do I guess, and I imagine a similar effect was seen in the northeast states after the Pats started winning rings.

couple other interesting things:

- Speaking of the Dolphins, that's another team that has probably lost quite a bit of fan territory over the years.

- I had no idea that South Carolina was so anti-Panther. I thought maybe the North/South distinction was left out of the team name because it was meant to cover both states, but apparently I thought wrong. :?