Super Bowl Thread

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Super Bowl Thread

Post by S197 »

The problem is the way the NFL chooses the refs for the game. All year refs run with the same crew, then for the biggest game of the year, they put together a bunch of people who have never worked together.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:The problem is the way the NFL chooses the refs for the game. All year refs run with the same crew, then for the biggest game of the year, they put together a bunch of people who have never worked together.
Exactly my thoughts. I didnt even really like the 49ers ( I hated the fact Jim Harbough cried to the refs and got a free timeout and challenge flag) but I do love comebacks. And that no call really screwed them over. IMO. And everyone's where I work. Cant believe so many here thought Crabtree was equally in the wrong when he was just trying to get the guy to stop holding him.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

glg wrote: The difference in my mind is the grabbing of the jersey. This wasn't just Crabtree ran into Smith and Smith put his hands up and they were pushing and shoving. Smith grabbed and held Crabtree's jersey.
Hindsight has changed my view. I totally agree with you Geoff. The grabbing of the jersey makes this a trivial NFL call for holding. That it was not called is remarkable, a sad reminder of how bad officiating can be. Seems somehow apropos for the season of replacement refs.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CalVike wrote:The difference in my mind is the grabbing of the jersey. This wasn't just Crabtree ran into Smith and Smith put his hands up and they were pushing and shoving. Smith grabbed and held Crabtree's jersey.
Hindsight has changed my view. I totally agree with you Geoff. The grabbing of the jersey makes this a trivial NFL call for holding. That it was not called is remarkable, a sad reminder of how bad officiating can be. Seems somehow apropos for the season of replacement refs.[/quote]

I understand where you guys are coming from, I just don't think the ref can reward the push-off and half-hearted route-running by emphasizing the holding and giving the 49ers first and goal. If he calls offsetting penalties, he still gives them another shot. I thought Crabtree was as guilty of committing a penalty on that play as Smith and I didn't think he was only pushing off because Smith held him. He engaged Smith from the start, which is not what a receiver does if he wants to break for the corner and catch the fade. It's what he does when he wants to draw a penalty or get open with a push off.

That's my take anyway but I respect both of you and I certainly can't disagree that Smith held Crabtree's jersey. We just see this play differently. :)
MamaGoThatManAP
Practice Squad

Post by MamaGoThatManAP »

Who cares about the holding call. That's not why the Niners lost.
http://www.rubmaps.com -- The Best Professional Massages in Minneapolis
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

MamaGoThatManAP wrote:Who cares about the holding call. That's not why the Niners lost.

True, but I will be remembered for a long time.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.