Lovie Smith/Bears

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Lovie Smith/Bears

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Was his firing justified? I know they collapsed again, but they are an OLD team. Is it really his fault that the front office didn't try to sign younger talent to give Urlacher, etc. a break?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Lovie Smith/Bears

Post by indianation65 »

Justified? An owner can do what he wants with his toys, that is the bottom line. He now wants a new toy.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

He is a scapegoat. The front office screwed things up beyond reclamation. Whoever hires him will be getting an excellent coach. I'm sure the Bears are looking to go in a new direction and I, for one, welcome their demotion to the cellar of the NFC North for a number of seasons to come.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

The fans I've talked to are split on it, the players like Lovie a lot and play hard for him, but the reality is that he's only made the playoffs in 3 of his 9 years and only once since the Super Bowl loss 6 years ago. 1 playoff appearance in 6 years is going to get most coaches fired.

I think the situation is comparable to Tony Dungy in Tampa. Same great defense, same bad pick after bad pick as offensive coordinator.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I think the situation is comparable to Tony Dungy in Tampa. Same great defense, same bad pick after bad pick as offensive coordinator.
Mike Tice! :rofl:

Not sure how long teams like the Eagles and Bears can just keep going with those coaches before something has to be changed.
Banedon
Practice Squad

Post by Banedon »

I don't think I'm really going out on a limb by saying that the problem with the Bears, year after year after year under Lovie, was offense. Lovie had 4 offensive coordinators, and still could never manage to put together an offense worth anything.

Yes, there were personnel issues, but no matter what you think of Cutler, a team with him, Marshall and Forte should be able to do more than what they did this year.

Lovie is a good coach, he'll get snapped up by some team, and may have some success. There's a lot to like about Lovie, but it's the right time to bring in someone with an offensive background, and to maybe make some guys that were a little too comfortable under Lovie feel a bit of heat.
visitingbearsfan
Rookie

Post by visitingbearsfan »

As a Bear fan who had been calling for his firing for the past 4+ years it was absolutely justified. Lovie gets outcoached in the vast majority of games each year and especially the 2nd half of this year. That SF game? 100% on Lovie, he did NOT have his team ready to play. Lovie's team went from 7-1 looking for a bye in the playoffs to 3-5 and out of the playoffs. He has brought in many OC's, and all of them have FAILED. The firing may set us back a year but in the long run it is better for the team to quickly make a change. Lovie held no players accountable on his team, it was always his fault, Lovie had no fire he was simply a people pleaser. Lovie needed to go in order for the Bears to ever have a shot at getting a Lombardi trophy again because his choices for OC's would never have gotten it done. Our front office did a good job this offseason getting Marshall and Jeffrey, knowing how to handle our awful secondary from last year and ultimately improving the talent level on this team. A better coach would have had this team at 11-5/12-4 and in the playoffs.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

If that's true... wow! Was hoping for him when Childress was fired. Offensive guru who has a knack for getting the most out of his QBs.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote: If that's true... wow! Was hoping for him when Childress was fired. Offensive guru who has a knack for getting the most out of his QBs.

When I heard his name come up as a candidate for the job, I immediately thought of you, Brian (or is it Bryan? I can never remember). :)
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

But the Bears still haven't announced the hiring of Trestman, have they?

I wouldn't be sad to see Singletary go. In fact, it would be fantastic to see him hired by a division rival.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I'm just intrigued Trestman is getting interviewed. He must be ready to move up to the NFL and the NFL must be ready for him. Don't necessarily want him going to a rival, but just intrigued. (Oh, and it's Brian, Jim. But you can call me whatever you wish!)
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Eli wrote:But the Bears still haven't announced the hiring of Trestman, have they?

I wouldn't be sad to see Singletary go. In fact, it would be fantastic to see him hired by a division rival.
Was he interviewing for the HC job? I was under the impression he was interviewing for something else.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

BGM wrote:I'm just intrigued Trestman is getting interviewed. He must be ready to move up to the NFL and the NFL must be ready for him. Don't necessarily want him going to a rival, but just intrigued. (Oh, and it's Brian, Jim. But you can call me whatever you wish!)

Or... is it "Jym"?
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Was he interviewing for the HC job? I was under the impression he was interviewing for something else.
Trestman did interview with the Bears, but he released a statement saying he has heard nothing from them. Could be Jimmy Johnson's unique way of lobbying for his guy...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

BGM wrote: Trestman did interview with the Bears, but he released a statement saying he has heard nothing from them. Could be Jimmy Johnson's unique way of lobbying for his guy...
Sorry, I Was talking about Singletary. I can't believe someone would give him another HC job after the issues he had with SF and the fact that he couldn't even keep a position coaching job with the Vikings.