Lovie Smith/Bears

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Lovie Smith/Bears

Post by Eli »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Sorry, I Was talking about Singletary. I can't believe someone would give him another HC job after the issues he had with SF and the fact that he couldn't even keep a position coaching job with the Vikings.
I thought Singletary was still a linebackers coach, but had been promoted (perhaps in title only, as is increasingly common in the NFL) to 'assistant to the Head Coach", whatever that is.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sorry, I Was talking about Singletary. I can't believe someone would give him another HC job after the issues he had with SF and the fact that he couldn't even keep a position coaching job with the Vikings.
Ah! I see. Well, two things... he satisfies the Rooney Rule, and he has Bears roots.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

According to David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune, at least one of the baker’s dozen candidates for the head-coaching job has been told that only two will be brought to Halas Hall for a second interview.

The process starts on Tuesday.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported earlier tonight that one of them will be Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the other is Montreal Alouettes coach Marc Trestman.

On Friday, FOX’s Jimmy Johnson peed on Jay Glazer’s tree, declaring on Twitter that Trestman will get the job.

Emery has been criticized in some circles for using a coaching search as a pretext for picking brains. Others say that he’s merely being thorough.

Either way, it’s now down to two.
Bevell! :rofl:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Earlier tonight, David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune reported that the Bears have two finalists for their head-coaching job.

That number may actually be three.

According to Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times, Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians also will have a second interview with the Bears.
Ok so maybe it's not that bad.

I'd like to see Trestman get a job, guys name seems to pop up for college and NFL quite a bit up north (not that north I guess).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Demi wrote: Ok so maybe it's not that bad.

I'd like to see Trestman get a job, guys name seems to pop up for college and NFL quite a bit up north (not that north I guess).
Trestman got the job.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote:I'm just intrigued Trestman is getting interviewed. He must be ready to move up to the NFL and the NFL must be ready for him. Don't necessarily want him going to a rival, but just intrigued. (Oh, and it's Brian, Jim. But you can call me whatever you wish!)
Will do, Captain! :)

Trestman got the job so now. I have a feeling he'll be a good coach so this is probably good news for the Bears and not the best news for us Vikes fans. Time will tell...
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I'm torn... I think he is going to be a very good coach, and, because of my tangential personal connections (worked in his father's music store when I first graduated from college), would be happy to see him succeed. However, I will have mixed feelings if he finds success in Chicago. Should be a good hire for them.

I do wonder if he will get what he can from Cutler and then go a different direction after Cutler's contract is up. However, Trestman found success with a veteran QB in Montreal, so...
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

So all he does is move from one division rival (Alouettes) to the Bears! A good hire for the Bears, they are banking on him being to put Cutler on a consistent path. His QB in Montreal Anthony Calvillo was declining prior to his arrival in Montreal, but Trestman put him on the right track again. It's interesting, basically every co-ordinator and coach on the Alouettes left the team this year. Trestman's logical replacement former Maryland QB Scott Milanovich moved over to my team the Argos and coached them to the Grey Cup this year.
Spiderbeavis
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Spiderbeavis »

You could say that Trestman took the job on a lark... :wink:
Image "I ain't got time to bleed! Unless it's purple...in which case I can work it in."
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Good hire for Chicago. He should be able to get some consistency from that team. I just hope Minnesota beats them twice next season!
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote:I'm torn... I think he is going to be a very good coach, and, because of my tangential personal connections (worked in his father's music store when I first graduated from college), would be happy to see him succeed. However, I will have mixed feelings if he finds success in Chicago. Should be a good hire for them.

I do wonder if he will get what he can from Cutler and then go a different direction after Cutler's contract is up. However, Trestman found success with a veteran QB in Montreal, so...
I'm not sure that will be entirely his decision, although I imagine his input on it would be respected. I think he'll be able to work with Cutler and make him a better QB although frankly, unless the o-line play improves significantly, Cutler and the Bears offense will never be consistent.
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

I was hoping the Bears would pull a stupid move and hire Bevell. Trestman should do a good job as HC there.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

viking_guy wrote:I was hoping the Bears would pull a stupid move and hire Bevell. Trestman should do a good job as HC there.
We'll see. Seems odd how many teams passed on the guy through repeated interviews throughout the years. And I heard one ex-player said he has a great football mind but isn't great with players? Who knows. It is nice to see a couple guys get a chance in Kelly and Trestman that are more interesting then your run of the mill ex-coach/big name coordinator guys.