Jets and Tebow

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

joe h
Veteran

Re: Jets and Tebow

Post by joe h »

Denver was 8-8 last year, 9-9 including playoffs. Any other division than the afc west, Denver would have never made the post season. It took a Raiders loss to the Chargers, and a Chargers loss to the Jets, to back their way in.

This same team, minus Eddie Royal and Tebow, is now 13-3 and has home field advantage throughout.

The only thing the Tebow experiment proved in Denver, is Kyle Orton is awful, and Tim Tebow was an 8-5 starter on a team that is now 13-3.

The little pos should be grateful he is even on a roster and should have taken every opportunity to take the field, even it is just to stand in the middle of it with his thumb up his ####. Instead of #### about how they wanted to use him as some wildcat option.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:I'm not trying to accuse anybody of anything, or criticize anybody, I'm just trying to say that it seems obvious to me that Tim Tebow evokes more passionate responses than any backup QB in football history. Maybe he stinks, maybe his intangibles have more value than some give them credit for, but that's a pretty tame issue to debate, not one that would fill up countless hours on ESPN. Certainly not one that should provoke the kind of reaction Tebow provokes. What do you think it is about Tebow that makes him such a lightning rod and makes him so fascinating to people? Why do so many people love him or hate him so intensely.
I think the reason primarily (if not entirely) based on the following two schools of thought

1) Tim Tebow is awful. He can't throw. Look at his numbers. Look at his mechanics. He's terrible.

2) Tim Tebow wins. He led his team to the playoffs. He may not be pretty, but he wins and that's all that matters. Because he wins, he's good.

There's rarely a player that's as "bad" as Tebow that somehow still wins. That's such a rarity. He's like an attraction (or sideshow, if you prefer) like that. The fact that he's in the New York market only magnifies that.

I also look to the fact that Tebow is hardly the first that credits his religion/God in professional sports. Heck, AD does the same in nearly every interview he conducts. His religion really isn't much of a factor. The big difference between the two is that Peterson is legit good. That's indisputable.
That could be. I've certainly known and talked to a number of people who dislike him for this exact reason.
Interesting. I've had many discussions outside of the boards as well. They've all revolved around his abilities/results with the most disparaging comment being that Tebow can be annoying when he cries after games or kneels all the time. Religion is hardly a talking point in our discussions. At best it's a footnote.
I'm just saying that in reality people's religious/political values do shape who they are and what they do/how they behave, so in that sense its hard to separate who Tim Tebow is from Evangelical Christianity.
I still think religion and sports/athletic ability are separate issues, this case included. But it's entirely subjective on a case-by-case basis and I'm willing to admit that some people might base their opinions, in part, on that aspect over Tebow. But I think the majority of public opinion surround the two performance-based schools of thought outlined earlier, magnified by the market he's in, the circumstances surrounding his usage and how offenses have to be designed around what the majority of the league believes are his strengths and only ways to consistently succeed. Because of that, he's an anomaly. Anomalies make for good stories/attention.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I still think religion and sports/athletic ability are separate issues, this case included. But it's entirely subjective on a case-by-case basis and I'm willing to admit that some people might base their opinions, in part, on that aspect over Tebow. But I think the majority of public opinion surround the two performance-based schools of thought outlined earlier, magnified by the market he's in, the circumstances surrounding his usage and how offenses have to be designed around what the majority of the league believes are his strengths and only ways to consistently succeed. Because of that, he's an anomaly. Anomalies make for good stories/attention.
I think that's true for people that really pay attention to football but the reason Tebow is so big in my opinion does have to do with religion in that he attracts others who share his beliefs (a significant portion of the country) that otherwise likely wouldn't even be paying attention to the NFL.

As for me? I don't know Tebow personally so to say I don't 'like' him is a stretch ... but I'm annoyed by him for the same reason I'm annoyed by Justin Beiber; he's horrible at his profession and not doing anything of significance and yet I still am forced to hear about him.