Enjoy Watching Kickoffs While You Can

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Enjoy Watching Kickoffs While You Can

Post by Mothman »

Kevin Siefert writes about Roger Goodell's kickoff musings:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ff-musings

Another report on Goodell's comments:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87205 ... eport-says
Commissioner Roger Goodell recently discussed a proposal to eliminate kickoffs with Rich McKay, the head of the league's competition committee, Time magazine reported.

Goodell and McKay discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if they failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.

"The fact is, it's a much different end of the play," Goodell said during the meeting, according to Time.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Enjoy Watching Kickoffs While You Can

Post by PurpleMustReign »

He's tryin... Goodells trying to ruin football... he'll get there yet!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Wow, would that be idiotic. That's the thing about eliminating kickoffs and just giving the other team the ball at the 20 or whatever... you eliminate the onside kick. So they have to come up with something like this nonsense.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I just don't see this happening. It's a fundamental part of the game. Moving where the kickoff is from (like moving the 3-point line in basketball) is one thing, but eliminating it all together? No, I don't see much support or precedent for that.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:He's tryin... Goodells trying to ruin football... he'll get there yet!
He's sure working at it...
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

this might be the stupidest change they could make..i really don't see it happening.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Valhalla wrote:This was a story as well as 6-9 months ago.

I don't know if as a rule, one sees more injuries on kickoff returns but all of this lawsuit stuff is what is spurring this talk on, not that the head honchos are trying to ruin the game. I've even heard people with legal opinions talk about this. It's the liability issues.
Liability, as in the NFL is liable to fans to give us the best product available. I'm sorry but goodell is wrong. This is like outlawing Twinkies because they make you fat. Mmmm....Twinkies. R.I.P