Ray Edwards released

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Ray Edwards released

Post by dead_poet »

Ray Edwards - DL - Falcons

Falcons released LE Ray Edwards.

Atlanta signed Edwards to a five-year, $27.5 million deal before the 2011 season after he recorded 16.5 sacks for the Vikings in the 2009-10 seasons. He was replaced in the starting lineup after the Week 7 bye. Edwards recorded just nine tackles and zero sacks in nine games this season after notching just 3.5 sacks in 2011. The Falcons will employ a rotation led by Kroy Biermann. Edwards, 28 on New Year's Day 2013, should be able to find work on a much lighter contract. The signing was a rare mistake by GM Thomas Dimitroff with Edwards ending up being a colossal bust.
Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter Nov 12 - 9:13 PM
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Ray Edwards released

Post by HornedMessiah »

Colossal bust is right, holy crap! Flat-out released, and from a playoff-bound team too. That's gotta sting! He was always a dickhead, but when he caught a whiff of success he really turned into a true ####. Made a big stink when he and the Vikings parted ways and no one was sad to see him go. Things turned out pretty much like I expected it to for him, but I didn't expect a mid-season release only 1.5 years into his contract. Life is a lot harder when you don't have a future HOFer playing on the other end of the line.

The best thing he ever did in a Vikings uniform was stopping Jared Allen from laying the beatdown on Gosder Cherilius
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

2 memories of him. He was more upset than anyone when old CBA delayed his UFA. He pouted when the Vikings signed his backup, Brian Robison, for decent money and let him walk. Karma is a killer. He never seemed much about team.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

he had a lot of games where he would disappear..

and he did some stupid stuff off the field
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

So the compensatory pick we got from him was what we used on Childs right?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Demi, I think so yes
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

There's always boxing
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Idiot.

Ray Edwards - DL - Free Agent

According to FOX's Jay Glazer, the Falcons dumped DE Ray Edwards because he refused to join a team gathering following the Week 10 loss to the Saints.

Coach Mike Smith called the players together only to see Edwards ignore his request three separate times, refusing to join in with teammates. Owner Arthur Blank and GM Thomas Dimitroff were in the room at the time, which certainly helped grease the skids for his removal despite forking over $1 million in termination pay.
Source: NFL.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly