The Rise and Fall of Cam Newton

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

The Rise and Fall of Cam Newton

Post by Rus »

Kind of amazing that the guy went from being the quarterback everyone thought he potentially could be, to the quarterback everyone expected he would be.

Considering that the Vikings are (maybe) proud owners of a quarterback from the same class, I find some of those other quarterbacks progress (and much more often, lack thereof) fairly interesting. Still think Locker might end up being the best quarterback from that class eventually...provided he stays healthy. Cam Newton certainly can light it up like a young Randall Cunningham crossed with Dan Marino, but then he can somehow magically transform himself into Cade McNown. It's pretty amazing, and also pretty disappointing in a way as a football fan.
-Rus
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: The Rise and Fall of Cam Newton

Post by Eli »

If Ryan Mallett stays with New England, doesn't have to start for another couple of years, he could end up being a great one.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I wouldn't close the book on Newton just yet, but I don't see him being anything more than a more diciplined Michael Vick.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

A quarterback having a down second season ... isn't that so common that there's a term for it?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:A quarterback having a down second season ... isn't that so common that there's a term for it?
I'll take "sophomore slump" for the win, Cliff!
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

He is a very good quarterback. There is no fall, the team is in a funk...that's all.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: I'll take "sophomore slump" for the win, Cliff!

And it is something that has NEVER happened in the history of the game too. :lol:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

he has near identical numbers after 6 games this year than last year, almost across the board. obviously you'd want to see much better numbers in year two but it's not like he fell off the map.

surprised more people aren't talking about stafford. he's been in the league longer and hasn't seemed to improve much.
i'm ready for a beer.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

the guy got a lot of success early

this year reality came in and slapped him around the store like a kid who stole something
and his 400 pound mother had to take off work to pick him up...

what matters now is how he handles the situation ..

judging from the interviews .. i would say not good
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

vikeinmontana wrote:he has near identical numbers after 6 games this year than last year, almost across the board. obviously you'd want to see much better numbers in year two but it's not like he fell off the map.

surprised more people aren't talking about stafford. he's been in the league longer and hasn't seemed to improve much.
I think the bigger issue is he has not proven himself to be clutch, and most certainly has not proven himself to be a team leader.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa