Teams with the most widespread fans?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Teams with the most widespread fans?

Post by Eli »

The 'Questions About the 2012 Schedule' got me thinking about a conversation I had recently. Which team or teams have the largest national following? These are the fans that the TV schedule makers also court.

These are the teams that stand out in my mind as being at the top (in no particular order):

- Dallas
- Green Bay
- Pittsburgh
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Teams with the most widespread fans?

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:The 'Questions About the 2012 Schedule' got me thinking about a conversation I had recently. Which team or teams have the largest national following? These are the fans that the TV schedule makers also court.

These are the teams that stand out in my mind as being at the top (in no particular order):

- Dallas
- Green Bay
- Pittsburgh
Good question. I'd say those are the likely top 3, although the Giants, Bears and Patriots might be right there with them. I know the Bears and Giants have a pretty big followings nationally, in no small part because they're both in big markets. I think they picked up a lot of fans in the '80s but, like the Packers, they've had a long time to establish a large fan base. When the Bears are on the road, there are usually plenty of Bears fans in the opposing team's stadium.There are transplanted Chicagoans and New Yorkers all over the country so that helps the Bears and Giants too and I imagine the Giants have picked up quite a few bandwagon fans with their recent Super Bowl success. That sort of thing helped Dallas and Pittsburgh expand their fan bases back in the '70s. I included the Pats because they're also from a big market and they've had enough success in the past decade to pick up a lot of new fans but I doubt they're as popular as the other 5.
JellyBean2144
Starter

Post by JellyBean2144 »

I think the three (Cowboys, Steelers, and Green Bay) are probably the top teams with a wide fan base. I remember a few years ago, when on a family vacation (Germany), my son, a Cowboys fan, had on a Dallas Cowboys jersey and I had on my Vikings t-shirt. The German folks were offering all kinds of crap for my son's jersey. Meanwhile, my Viking t-shirt got little love. The Cowboys, Packers, and Steelers have a deep fan base.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I know Pittsburgh fans travel well. There are always Terrible Towels in the stands wherever they play. I suppose Dallas too. I wonder if there is a way to study that?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote:The 'Questions About the 2012 Schedule' got me thinking about a conversation I had recently. Which team or teams have the largest national following? These are the fans that the TV schedule makers also court.

- Dallas
- Green Bay
- Pittsburgh
Out here in Hawaii Dallas has a big following. GB and Pitt not so much. The obvious west coast teams would make up the rest of the majority.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

Saskatchewan Roughriders up here for certain!
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

The Broncos are pretty widespread too, but not on the same level as GB, Dallas, or Pittsburgh. The Broncos just have a massive fan territory, like all the mountain and western plains states. Elway and back-to-back Superbowl titles also helped to win them fans all over the place.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

You'll find Patriots, Bills, Raiders, Cowboys, Packers and Steelers stuff here in Toronto. The Bills are theoretically supposed to be our "team" and they have their fans, but I don't think anybody up here feels any need to be especially loyal to them. In SW Ontario we have three and arguably four NFL teams (Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland and maybe Pittsburgh) that are close.

I'm interested to see how much the 49ers make a comeback in terms of national fan popularity.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

Valhalla wrote: Wow, speaking of Toronto, this is off topic so apologies to all but I saw at the store these Lord Stanley jackets by CCM.

http://www.lids.com/NHL/Toronto-Maple-Leafs/20399180

The style and coloring of the Maple Leafs jacket and I guess I'm partial to blue is rather handsome.

And the thing is is you can see that on the back of the jacket, every Stanley Cup a team wins is listed on the back. Really pretty cool.

Yeah, that jacket is expensive and seemed even kind of heavy actually. You can see the other teams they have as well, Habs, Red Wings, Bruins, Blackhawks, Rangers and Penguins.

Interestingly, Reebok did one for the Islanders. http://www.amazon.com/York-Islanders-St ... B008B2VZDU

I've always liked for NHL logos, the Leafs' logo among a few others.
That is a nice jacket, but for some reason I just don't feel inclined to purchase NHL merchandise at this time.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

here in montana it's pretty widespread simply because we don't have a pro team. i'd say packers, vikings, and broncos get the most following for sure. but for some reason, we have a ton of chiefs fans here too! :shock:

for the life of me i can't figure that one out. :confused:
i'm ready for a beer.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Here in Utah there is a large amount of Denver fans due to them being a close neighbor. Also, a lot of SF fans also due to proximity and the BYU connection with Steve Young. Lots of people jumped on that bandwagon with the Superbowls and Young and others still when Alex Smith was drafted from Utah.

I'd say there is a good amount of Cowboys fans too as I know of at least 1 or 2 bars that do get togethers for cowboys games. I've yet to find a vikings bar here although I do seem to run into quite a few Vikings fans on the weekends when I'm wearing my jacket/coat/hat/shirt/jerseys etc.