Texans are good, JJ Watt is better

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Texans are good, JJ Watt is better

Post by Eli »

I don't always get into watching games between teams that I have no real interest in, but tonight's game between Houston and New York was an eye opener. I was mostly watching to see how the Texans looked, currently touted by many as the best team in the NFL.

Also, I have to admit, to see just how bad the Jets would look after their drubbing last week. I confess that I'm not a fan of either Rex Ryan or Tim Tebow, but surprisingly, the Jets didn't look horrible. I think it just goes to show how difficult it is for any team to win on the road in the NFL against an opponent that isn't totally incompetent.

But JJ Watt? Wow. Just an amazing player. Yeah, the man-love Gruden showed for Watt was a bit much, but that doen't take anything away from the player. I hope he has a long and prosperous career ahead of him, because he's fun to watch. That sack where he swatted Sanchez's feet from under him looked like he was tackling a cheerleader.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Texans are good, JJ Watt is better

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote:But JJ Watt? Wow. Just an amazing player. Yeah, the man-love Gruden showed for Watt was a bit much, but that doen't take anything away from the player. I hope he has a long and prosperous career ahead of him, because he's fun to watch. That sack where he swatted Sanchez's feet from under him looked like he was tackling a cheerleader.
I agree. I don't see how he's not the leading candidate for Defensive Player of the Year. By a wide margin. He's an absolute beast.

Here's a fun article by a guy that obviously had/has no idea what he is/was talking about (saying how the Texans would rue the day they selected Watt over Fairley. Hilarious now): http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetai ... ton-lover/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Are the Texans good? Yes. Are they the best team in the NFL? I'm not convinced.

I agree, JJ Watt is an absolute beast.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Got JJ Watt and Patrick Willis as two of my 3 IDP's. Now if only I can find a solid DB....
vikings79
Franchise Player

Post by vikings79 »

Watt (who is awesome because he's a Badger, btw) reminds me of Keith Millard. Remember how relentless Millard was as an interior lineman? He and Doleman were sick on that line back in the late '80s -- it was pick your poison, if the oline doubled one, the other one would get the sack. Like Millard, Watt has that great swim move, the motor that never stops. And Watt has that huge wingspan, which is how he gets all those batted balls.

Watt's story is a good one too -- he was a tight end at Central Michigan, was unhappy, left, delivered pizzas for awhile, walked on at Wisconsin and the rest is history.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

S197 wrote:Got JJ Watt and Patrick Willis as two of my 3 IDP's. Now if only I can find a solid DB....
I had those two, but I dropped Willis as my other linebacker. A guy named Chad Greenway is sending a lot more points my way.