Go Sea Chickens

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Go Sea Chickens

Post by Purple bruise »

I was watching the NFL network and one of the talking heads, reviewing the "catch" in slow motion, pointed out the fact that when both Tate and the defender were coming down with the ball, Tate clearly released his right hand away from holding the ball and that left only his left hand grasping and or touching it. He pointed out the fact that Tate was not in mutual control of the catch as they were coming down into the end zone and did stop the tape at the point where Tate took his right hand away from the ball and it is quite apparent that this did happen.
I agree that this was not a simultaneous reception.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Purple bruise wrote:I was watching the NFL network and one of the talking heads, reviewing the "catch" in slow motion, pointed out the fact that when both Tate and the defender were coming down with the ball, Tate clearly released his right hand away from holding the ball and that left only his left hand grasping and or touching it. He pointed out the fact that Tate was not in mutual control of the catch as they were coming down into the end zone and did stop the tape at the point where Tate took his right hand away from the ball and it is quite apparent that this did happen.
I agree that this was not a simultaneous reception.
But somewhere the NFL issued a statement that talked in part about the 'Calvin Johnson' rule - you don't have possession until you make a football move or reach the ground and maintain control. In that context, Jennings didn't have initial control until he had landed on the ground. At which time, it isn't clear to me that Tate doesn't also have control. Given that the call on the field, at full speed, by the closest official, was TD, that interpretation of the rules didn't provide me with clear evidence that Jennings had the interception "first".

I agree that in common practice, Jennings did intercept, Tate did push off, Calvin Johnson did score a TD, Brady did fumble against Oakland, etc. But those types of odd rules or bad calls have been happening for decades. I'm annoyed that a Packers loss in week three gets everyone this much up in arms, but a Vikings loss to the Saints to see who goes to the Superbowl, with dozens of missed calls (guys should have been ejected for their hits on Favre) gets a collective "eh?" because the Saints are America's darling team of the year.

And yes, if you are asking, I'm still bitter... :cry:
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

John_Viveiros wrote: I agree that in common practice, Jennings did intercept, Tate did push off, Calvin Johnson did score a TD, Brady did fumble against Oakland, etc. But those types of odd rules or bad calls have been happening for decades. I'm annoyed that a Packers loss in week three gets everyone this much up in arms, but a Vikings loss to the Saints to see who goes to the Superbowl, with dozens of missed calls (guys should have been ejected for their hits on Favre) gets a collective "eh?" because the Saints are America's darling team of the year.

And yes, if you are asking, I'm still bitter... :cry:
Me too! After this debacle, I went and rewatched the 4th/OT of that game through gamepass as I was positive I recalled a terrible PI in addition to some of the other stuff. Sure enough, allen got called for a pretty minor one on a 3rd and 6 in OT, but it was a legit. The following one on Leber though was ridiculous. Not only was the pass uncatchable, the receiver wasn't even really touched, just jumped backward as the ball sailed over his head.