Go Sea Chickens

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Go Sea Chickens

Post by me4get »

A.D_blazing wrote:Finally,what the NFL and everyone else was fearing happened tonight.The poor officiating made an incomprehensible call that costed a team a victory.

But i'm happy it happened to the packers...lol
Correct call exactly by the rulebook. GB can cry all they want.
Viking fan since '65
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

If the NFL replacement refs were judging the Revolutionary War, we'd all be British.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

Eli wrote:KIND OF got screwed??????????

Sheesh.
Th PI call was correct, the GB defender was pulling on Sidney Rice's jersey. and a simultaneous reception always goes to the offense.
Viking fan since '65
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

How about Ben Tate OFFENSIVELY PASS INTERFERING before the "touchdown?" PI was getting called all day and that is when they swallow the whistle. Sure.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Sweet karma for the billions of times the Pukers got the critical calls for the past three decades.

Vikes are in 1st place. Skol!
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hunter Morrow wrote:How about Ben Tate OFFENSIVELY PASS INTERFERING before the "touchdown?" PI was getting called all day and that is when they swallow the whistle. Sure.
PI is usually thrown out in those situations and they let the guys fight it out.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Absolutely the second-worst call of all time. Pearson pushed off.

This has gone from ridiculous, to laughable, to absurd, to embarrassing. I don't care what the refs want... give it to them before we start seeing soccer riots, because I fear that's the next disaster on the horizon.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

BGM - your sig quote was never more true when it comes to refs, but my inner vike still can't help but snicker at the karma that has bitten the packers after years of getting all the favorable calls.
Purple Pride till the end.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

PotGoblin wrote:BGM - your sig quote was never more true when it comes to refs, but my inner vike still can't help but snicker at the karma that has bitten the packers after years of getting all the favorable calls.
Gotta be honest, I have never bought into all that "favorable calls" stuff. As the Vikings showed yesterday, a good team can win despite poor officiating. I get no joy watching the Packers lose like this. I would rather see them pummeled into dust like the good Lord intended. :smilevike:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

Well at least rodgers spent a good share of the game counting the stars in the sky :rofl:
Purple Pride till the end.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

PotGoblin wrote:Well at least rodgers spent a good share of the game counting the stars in the sky :rofl:
And THAT is what should have Packer fans truly shaken. 8 sacks!! The Bears, Lions and Vikings DLs are licking their chops...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Favorite quote on Twitter:
:point:
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Now that I've been watching NFL Network AM this morning, I'm not so sure that the "simultaneous possession" call was so bad. I think it was an unfair result, but I think the call was within the rules. The points in favor of anyone (not just replacements) calling it this way:
- The ref that called a TD was much closer than the ref that eventually called the interception. The overrule was technically correct.
- The rule about maintaining possession through the ground means that, even though the defensive player had initial control, that the offensive player gaining equivalent control by the time the players hit the ground meant that it was simultaneous.
[Oh - they just mentioned the Drew Pearson pushoff on NFL Network AM!]
- Simultaneous possession can not be reviewed by NFL rules, so they couldn't go through this in slo-mo. The play happened so quickly that you pretty much had to go with your first impression.

So while I think the Packers deserved the win, I don't think it was a travesty. I think it was your typical marginal call that costs teams wins all the time. One of my favorites of this type is from the pre-replay days. Cris Carter laid out to catch a ball late in a game against the Lions. The catch was so unbelievable that the refs DIDN'T believe it, and ruled it incomplete (the Vikes had to punt, and ended up losing IIRC). And yet it makes the highlight reel of the best half dozen Carter catches that they show every time they mention him!

So my message to Packers fans is: If this is the first friggin' game you lost on bad calls, consider yourself among the luckiest teams in the league. Take on three losses like that in NFC Championship games (1975, 1998, 2009) and then I'll start listening to your whining.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote:Now that I've been watching NFL Network AM this morning, I'm not so sure that the "simultaneous possession" call was so bad. I think it was an unfair result, but I think the call was within the rules. The points in favor of anyone (not just replacements) calling it this way:
- The ref that called a TD was much closer than the ref that eventually called the interception. The overrule was technically correct.
- The rule about maintaining possession through the ground means that, even though the defensive player had initial control, that the offensive player gaining equivalent control by the time the players hit the ground meant that it was simultaneous.
I don't think Tate truly had equivalent control. He had his hands on the ball but the Packers defender had not only caught the pass, he had pulled it in to his chest. Simply putting his hands on the ball wasn't enough for Tate to establish simultaneous possession.
So while I think the Packers deserved the win, I don't think it was a travesty. I think it was your typical marginal call that costs teams wins all the time. One of my favorites of this type is from the pre-replay days. Cris Carter laid out to catch a ball late in a game against the Lions. The catch was so unbelievable that the refs DIDN'T believe it, and ruled it incomplete (the Vikes had to punt, and ended up losing IIRC). And yet it makes the highlight reel of the best half dozen Carter catches that they show every time they mention him!
I remember the exact play you're talking about. It was one of the best catches I've ever seen!
So my message to Packers fans is: If this is the first friggin' game you lost on bad calls, consider yourself among the luckiest teams in the league. Take on three losses like that in NFC Championship games (1975, 1998, 2009) and then I'll start listening to your whining.
I apologize for nitpicking but I assume you're referring to the Vikes/Dallas game in '75 and that was actually a divisional playoff game, not the conference championship game. Either way, the Vikes got screwed!
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Mothman wrote: I don't think Tate truly had equivalent control. He had his hands on the ball but the Packers defender had not only caught the pass, he had pulled it in to his chest. Simply putting his hands on the ball wasn't enough for Tate to establish simultaneous possession.
Agreed. If NFL Network is really trying to justify that piece of crap call today, it's because of directives on high, not journalistic integrity.

I haven't seen if this is elsewhere, but it's not in this thread at least. Kluwe agrees in his typical hilarious fashion
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... ewed_.html