Replacement refs for regular season?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Replacement refs for regular season?

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: Yes, it does! I won't be surprised if it costs a team a win. I just hope the Vikings won't be that team.
I hope bad/questionable calls don't cost teams more games than normal but there are bad calls that seemingly cost teams games every year. It would be interesting if there was a "bad call" stat that we could look up for NFL refs.

I agree that regular refs would probably do an overall better job just by experience ... but I'm skeptical that it will make as big of a difference as many people seem to be thinking. Sadly I'm not sure there will be a valid way to measure the two groups unless someone is aware of a crediable site that keeps stats on refs.

I feel like we're going to hear a lot of "Another blown call, replacement refs at work!" kind of talk this season but there is bellyaching over bad calls in every NFL game I've ever watched with a group of people. I challenge anyone to find a single Vikings game day thread on this board where someone doesn't complain about the refs at least once.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I feel like we're going to hear a lot of "Another blown call, replacement refs at work!" kind of talk this season but there is bellyaching over bad calls in every NFL game I've ever watched with a group of people.
Yeah, bad calls are one thing. Cam Newton not being touched, dropping the ball, defense recovers, and they call him down? That's another. And not like, close to being touched, but going down on his own. And that fumble from Hilliard last week was one so blatant I don't remember the refs blowing that. It's like they've been told to play it safe, otherwise they're just that bad. This isn't a case of bad calls, I hear people bellyache about them all the time even when they're close enough it's easy to understand why they were called like they were, but this garbage this preseason is almost criminal...
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

So the NFL Referees Association says it's ready to negotiate. And now the NFL has responded by saying it’s ready to negotiate.

“[W]e are prepared to resume negotiations at any time,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said on Twitter, in response to the NFLRA’s press release.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... officials/
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Running out of time. Here's an email I sent tonight. I copied Ed Hochuli at his day job email too but left it off this forum. Contact the powers that be if so inclined. Dave

Date: August 29, 2012 10:26:26 PM PDT
To: "officeofcommissioner@nfl.com" <officeofcommissioner@nfl.com>
Cc: "nflpaexecutivedept@nflplayers.com" <nflpaexecutivedept@nflplayers.com>
Subject: Referees

Dear Commissioner Goodell,

Please bring back the referees by Week 1. Your demands are trivial in the context of the fraud to which you will subject your players and fans in less than one week. Like the ridiculous London games, your move against the refs is the ultimate corporate arrogance. This one decision just might bite the owners and reduce the sport's crazy popularity right now or worse, compromise the integrity of the game. Please don't take that risk.

Best,
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Kluwe weighs in on the replacements: http://deadspin.com/5940689?utm_campaig ... socialflow
One of the perks of my job is that I get a lot of opportunities to watch the refs in action, since punting doesn't exactly take up a lot of time during the game. The following are things I have personally witnessed this preseason. I swear that all of this stuff happened.

1. A quarterback was punched in the head during the course of a sack—it happens, all good so far. The refs respond by calling a dead-ball unnecessary roughness penalty despite it being a live-ball play—uh oh, we're on shaky ground now. Then they walk off the penalty—and, for unknown reasons, they decide it should be eight yards. I realize that the penalty system is quite complex, with its multiples of five and all, but an eight-yard penalty? Really?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Kluwe weighs in on the replacements: http://deadspin.com/5940689?utm_campaig ... socialflow
Great article, thanks. Funny and yet disturbing at the same time.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

I thought they did a fairly good job tonight from what I saw. The Cruz play in the end zone was probably the worst missed call.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Juice wrote:I thought they did a fairly good job tonight from what I saw. The Cruz play in the end zone was probably the worst missed call.
Yep on both counts.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Yeah, but the NFL isn't stupid, they're going to have put one of the best crews on that game because everyone was watching. They'll bury the bad ones on games between bad teams that most people aren't going to watch. Unfortunately, Vikes-Jags probably qualifies for that :(
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

So overall, it seems like the replacements are not doing too bad. There have been some calls but that happens with the real ones.

Do you think the real refs are going to lose their jobs if they don't agree soon?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

@MikePereira

There is no way to keep with your tweets. Just know I feel your frustration. This is not the NFL I worked for. Don't care whose fault it is.
I'm not watching the Den/Atl game but he tweeted this during the game. Must be pretty bad.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Well now I'm reading some articles and maybe they aren't doing such a good job. then again, there are articles about the real officials many times too. Idk.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

It isn't that they blow calls that pisses me off, but that they have zero confidence and the games are taking forever. As bad as the regular officials were at times, at least they made the call and moved on, not take 10 minutes every time they throw a flag or determine a turnover.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Is anyone else annoyed by how bad the spots of balls have been?

I expect missed calls and it's always a judgement when to call things like PI or personal fouls. But just marking the ball down in the right spot is stuff that you should get right in Pop Warner. It's become commonplace to see the ball marked 1, 1 1/2, 2 yards from the correct spot. Over the course of a game, that can have a huge impact.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Let's just say that if I posted what I really thought of the replacement refs, and it showed up through the filters, I would be banned.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966