Saints investigated for "Bounty Program"

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Saints investigated for "Bounty Program"

Post by dead_poet »

Pretty sure he's not coming back.

Saints Defense - TM - Saints

Yahoo Sports' Michael Silver has obtained audio of Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams instructing his defenders to physically injure 49ers offensive players during the clubs' 2011 playoff game.

The audio was captured by filmmaker Sean Pamphilon, who was doing a documentary on former Saints S Steve Gleason in his battle back from ALS. Gleason was on the sideline during the game. Williams speaks of dealing 49ers QB Alex Smith a "remember me" shot, re-injuring 49ers PR Kyle Williams, and hitting 49ers RB Frank Gore in the head during pileups. Williams wanted WR Michael Crabtree to suffer a debilitating injury. "We need to decide whether Crabtree wants to be a fake-#### prima donna or he wants to be a tough guy," Williams said. "We need to find that out, and he becomes human when you [expletive] take out that outside ACL."
Source: Yahoo Sports
Keep in mind, NFL contacted Saints before these playoffs and basically told them to stop bounties. Saints didn't take warnings seriously.
Adam Schefter on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

that audio of Williams should put an end to any appeal he or any of the Saints might have. the guy is dirty with a capital D.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Gregg Williams speech: Josh Sitton gets it
By now you've either heard, or heard about, the explosive speech former New Orleans Saints Gregg Williams gave before January's playoff game against the San Francisco 49ers. In it, Williams encourages his players to injure specific 49ers opponents and reportedly made a hand signal that suggested he would reward the first injury with cash.

The release of the audio has spurred wide reaction, but to me this most disappointing one is the one that suggests it was typical in content and style to what NFL players regularly hear. If you read through ESPN analyst Tim Hasselbeck's Twitter timeline, you can see a pretty good discussion on that topic.

To me, that's an unfair over-generalization that glosses over the line Williams crossed. It's no different than saying every Democrat advocates for welfare and every Republican rails against science.

There are plenty of NFL coaches who do their jobs differently, and no less effectively, than the way you heard Gregg Williams do his. So I was glad to see at least one active player stand up for them Thursday morning via Twitter.

Green Bay Packers guard Josh Sitton listened to the audio and tweeted: "Gregg Williams sounds like a complete [expletive] a******. Glad he got suspended!"

When asked by a follower if Packers coaches talk to players that way, Sitton replied: "hell no."

It's fair to point out that Packers players, much like their division opponents in Minnesota, have a significant and emotional tie-in to this story. The NFL's official report on the Saints' bounty program mentioned four targeted quarterbacks by name. One was the Packers' Aaron Rodgers and another was Brett Favre when he played for the Vikings.

I don't want to come off as a prude. I understand that football is controlled barbarianism and that it's common for coaches to encourage players to "knock the [expletive] out" of their opponents. But the Williams speech, especially the references to causing specific injuries to certain players, goes way beyond the line of acceptable violence in the NFL. This is not normal, it shouldn't be acceptable and I'm glad that Sitton, for one, was willing to say so.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... on-gets-it
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

you guys are crazy. this is nothing more than sour grapes. the saints didn't play dirty against the vikes or anyone else.

much ado about nothing....

:popcorn:
i'm ready for a beer.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If the players may face criminal charges these new audio clips should be enough to charge Williams with something.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote:If the players may face criminal charges these new audio clips should be enough to charge Williams with something.
I agree. If they punish the players with legal fines they almost certainly have to punish the coaches legally as well. If not, that'd be akin to assassination being illegal but putting a hit out on somebody perfectly fine.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I tell you what... this guy is mentally not right. He should be put in jail for a long time. What a disgusting story this is, and an enormous black eye on the Saints organization (understand I am not saying I like the Saints, but it is unfortunate that this has happened to any professional team). If the Vikings had done anything even remotely resembling a bounty that resulted in another player getting hurt, I woul dbe embarassed to be a fan of theirs.

Sean Peyton should be banned from the league as well. There is no way, absolutely no way on Earth, that he didn't know about this. They should have to give up more picks for this crap.

Unreal.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
vikes52
Waterboy

Post by vikes52 »

Give 'em a fair trial and hang 'em.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

A friend of mine put this image together yesterday. I thought it was hilarious.

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:A friend of mine put this image together yesterday. I thought it was hilarious.

I like it!! Good job!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I tell you what... this guy is mentally not right. He should be put in jail for a long time. What a disgusting story this is, and an enormous black eye on the Saints organization (understand I am not saying I like the Saints, but it is unfortunate that this has happened to any professional team). If the Vikings had done anything even remotely resembling a bounty that resulted in another player getting hurt, I woul dbe embarassed to be a fan of theirs.

Sean Peyton should be banned from the league as well. There is no way, absolutely no way on Earth, that he didn't know about this. They should have to give up more picks for this crap.

Unreal.
i agree. its not boxing or mma where you try to knock someone out. saints tried to knock out favre and warner and cripple people. its tackle football. if sean peyton didnt know what was going on he should have. :rip:
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Mothman wrote:A friend of mine put this image together yesterday. I thought it was hilarious.
:appl:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has upheld the discipline issued to the Saints for their "bounty" program.
Link
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

Goddell should have added to the suspensions for wasting his time with the appeals.