Saints investigated for "Bounty Program"

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Saints investigated for "Bounty Program"

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Demi wrote:Just sour grapes! :rofl:

LOL!!! :point:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: What a #### idiot. Just like the rest of that fan base and organization.
wouldn't mind that idiot as our QB...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Aint's Penalty

Post by headless_norseman »

I feel like I've been vindicated. Peyton, one year gone. Gregg Williams, "suspended' indefinitely, which is code for goodbye.

22-27 players now to be determined.

If Favre is not injured, and if that SOB had not tried to rip his ankle off his leg, Favre runs for that first down instead of throwing across his chest and back across the field for that easy pic.

First down, game over, and we never see OT. Vikes in the Super Bowl.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Demi
Commissioner

Re: Aint's Penalty

Post by Demi »

Agreed
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

We haven't exactly gotten along on all things Vike, but I respect your determination, all Purple.

Even twins don't agree 100%. But my Australian wife truly did not understand, until the 3rd quarter, why such a game was too important to us.

The right decision was handed down by Goodell. But I fear the (concussion) lawsuit is the real reason for the historic remedy and reaction, here.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Xqed
Franchise Player

Post by Xqed »

Vindicated, sure. But it doesn't feel any better. In fact, it makes that game feel worse. Our Vikes were robbed AGAIN. Oh, the poor Saints, their SB win is "tainted" now. Well our chance to even play in one again was stolen from us by dirty, illegal play.

F the Saints, I will root against any Sean Payton- or Gregg Williams-coached team from this point on. And if the Vikings' coaches have ever done anything like this, I want them out of the league too. This kind of crap ruins the game and is the pinnacle of poor sportsmanship.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

headless_norseman wrote:I feel like I've been vindicated. Peyton, one year gone. Gregg Williams, "suspended' indefinitely, which is code for goodbye.

22-27 players now to be determined.

If Favre is not injured, and if that SOB had not tried to rip his ankle off his leg, Favre runs for that first down instead of throwing across his chest and back across the field for that easy pic.

First down, game over, and we never see OT. Vikes in the Super Bowl.
The Saints got off lighter than they would have if I were commish. I would have stripped them of their Championship from the NFL records.

That was one of the dirtiest teams I've ever seen. I'm glad that they're finally getting the publicity they deserve. Scumbags.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Xqed wrote:Vindicated, sure. But it doesn't feel any better. In fact, it makes that game feel worse. Our Vikes were robbed AGAIN. Oh, the poor Saints, their SB win is "tainted" now. Well our chance to even play in one again was stolen from us by dirty, illegal play.

F the Saints, I will root against any Sean Payton- or Gregg Williams-coached team from this point on. And if the Vikings' coaches have ever done anything like this, I want them out of the league too. This kind of crap ruins the game and is the pinnacle of poor sportsmanship.
Agree. This game is violent enough and dangerous enough to the participants when played totally within the rules. When a team takes extra steps to send a player off the field on his back, that's too far.

It doesn't make me feel one bit better about the NFCC game though. The Saints still have the trophy and the Vikings don't.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nothing is ever going to change that 31-28 final score so this comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGcn15ODltA

It's been two freakin' years.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: It's not like the Saints were/are the only team every to hand out bounties. The difference is their's were sanctioned by coaches/management and they got caught.
That and the whole taking money from outside sources to influence the outcome of a game.

The saints were paid money from an outside source to injure a player on the opposite team. Seems like if I were a degenerate gambler and wanted to influence the outcome of a game I had money on, Sean Peyton would be the guy I'd go to.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings players react to punishment:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 50456.html
Jared Allen: "I think it was necessary because there needs to be strong punishment any time a coach or a player thinks they can take someone else's career into their own hands and purposely do something that could end it," defensive end Jared Allen said. "We all play hard. But to give bonuses for carting someone off the field? Man, that's just wrong. There's no place for that in the NFL...
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

The punishment is not nearly severe enough. If a team only has to give up 2 second round picks and have the coach suspended after cheating and winning the Super Bowl, what is to stop another team from doing it. The NFL really had to make an example of the Saints and blew it. The NCAA can and does strip championships and the NFL should do it in this case as well.
MDviking
Starter

Post by MDviking »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:The fact that the Saints had bounties didn't change the outcome of that game. Stop it.
My biggest gripe is the lack of a roughing call on the high/low hit on Favre, which resulted in an interception when the Vikings were already in field goal position. IIRC, the previous play was flagged for roughing, and I swear the officials were shy about calling consecutive roughing penalties. Can't blame the Saints for the no call, but they obviously were playing past the whistle in an effort to injure Favre, and that was a huge turning point in the game.

The Vikings absolutely did enough to lose the game themselves, but you can't say destroying Favre's ankle didn't have any impact on the game at all.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

i've never blamed our loss on those cheap shots. my frustration comes first by those that disregarded them all together and made claims that the saints didn't play dirty. they did, and it was obvious.

however, saying that these bounties had no impact on the game is not truthful either. how much of an impact we will never know but there was certainly an impact. otherwise why would the saints do it? if not to gain some sort of advantage, why have bounties? these guys were willing to risk a lot (we know now just how much due to this penalty) to have a bounty system in play. they wouldn't have done that if there was nothing to be gained.

in the end it doesn't matter. we lost. they won. they're world champs.

something i am curious about since this broke? i wonder why they didn't have a bounty on manning in the superbowl? at least he wasn't named as far as i remember. they had one on warner and favre. why not manning in the game that mattered the most?
i'm ready for a beer.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Has Gregg Williams apologized to Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, or the teams involved? I know he issued a blanket apology, but IMO he needs to have a real press conference, not just a "statement from the team".

And I really with the NFL had given the Cardinals and Vikings the Saint's picks that were forfeited. Since the Vikings had the worse record, they should be given this season's, and the Cardinals next seasons, IMO.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018