Teddy Bridgewater

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Teddy Bridgewater

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Two Blurbs found on RotoWorld that are quite significant for Teddy Bridgewater.

Panthers signed WR Robby Anderson, formerly of the Jets, to a two-year, $20 million contract.
Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the deal includes $12 million in 2020. Anderson will be reuniting with coach Matt Rhule, whom he played for at Temple. A field stretcher who can also do work underneath, Anderson unquestionably makes the Panthers better, and will be an upgrade on slow-developing Curtis Samuel opposite D.J. Moore. It is an absolutely atrocious landing spot from a fantasy perspective, however, as Moore and Christian McCaffrey should dominate targets from a conservative Teddy Bridgewater. Anderson will have a hard time upgrading on the WR2/3 limbo he was often stuck in with the Jets.

RELATED: New York Jets
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 24, 2020, 3:37 PM ET

CAM NEWTON
QB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Panthers released QB Cam Newton.
The No. 1 overall pick of the 2011 draft departs Carolina as one of the best players in franchise history. Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Newton took and passed a physical on Monday. Newton's past two seasons have been wrecked by foot and shoulder issues. Formerly an iron man, Newton's aggressive style of play has partly caught up with him, though he is only 30 years old. Growing more efficient as a passer in recent years, Newton still provides sky-high upside as a dual-threat. The teams with the biggest need at quarterback are the Chargers and Patriots. The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Patriots do not have "any immediate interest."

RELATED: Carolina Panthers
Mar 24, 2020, 3:24 PM ET
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Post by Cliff »

I'm excited for Teddy. I'm glad he's able to get another chance starting in the league. I still think he's a special player.

Moving on from Newton was probably an easy choice. They want someone to run an offense similar to what they have in NO and Bridgewater is well suited for that and probably cheaper by the time it's over.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:36 am I'm excited for Teddy. I'm glad he's able to get another chance starting in the league. I still think he's a special player.

Moving on from Newton was probably an easy choice. They want someone to run an offense similar to what they have in NO and Bridgewater is well suited for that and probably cheaper by the time it's over.
Teddy has a lot of strengths that have been to often maligned among vikings fans, in part because offensive production was pretty poor during his years here. I am excited for him to get another chance, and will be pulling for the panthers whenever they aren't playing the Vikings.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 pm
Cliff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:36 am I'm excited for Teddy. I'm glad he's able to get another chance starting in the league. I still think he's a special player.

Teddy has a lot of strengths that have been to often maligned among vikings fans, in part because offensive production was pretty poor during his years here. I am excited for him to get another chance, and will be pulling for the panthers whenever they aren't playing the Vikings.
Offensive production was above average despite a below average line and WR corp in 2015. In 2014, the offense scored about 22 ppg in his starts, which would have put him around 16th in scoring that year. People just got hung up on his 14 passing TDs and didn't notice that offense actually did a decent job of scoring.

Carolina's defense might be the worst in the NFL. Teddy will get a lot of opportunities to try to match teams in shootouts and he should have weapons to make that possible if the line holds up for him.

I wonder what the discussion will be if he ended up with more yards and TDs than Cousins but lost more games?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pmOffensive production was above average despite a below average line and WR corp in 2015. In 2014, the offense scored about 22 ppg in his starts, which would have put him around 16th in scoring that year. People just got hung up on his 14 passing TDs and didn't notice that offense actually did a decent job of scoring.
I think people simply understood that Peterson was the driving force in the offense that season. Bridgewater's effectiveness was limited. He had some strong performances but overall, he simply wasn't that impressive.

As FiestaVike said, Bridgewater has his strengths but if the Panthers find themselves trying to match teams in shootouts I think it's more likely to expose his deficiencies than reveal those strengths. I suspect they'll ask him to manage games (in the positive sense) and lean into their running game.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:02 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pmOffensive production was above average despite a below average line and WR corp in 2015. In 2014, the offense scored about 22 ppg in his starts, which would have put him around 16th in scoring that year. People just got hung up on his 14 passing TDs and didn't notice that offense actually did a decent job of scoring.
I think people simply understood that Peterson was the driving force in the offense that season. Bridgewater's effectiveness was limited. He had some strong performances but overall, he simply wasn't that impressive.

As FiestaVike said, Bridgewater has his strengths but if the Panthers find themselves trying to match teams in shootouts I think it's more likely to expose his deficiencies than reveal those strengths. I suspect they'll ask him to manage games (in the positive sense) and lean into their running game.
It was really a pretty crappy formula. The OL was terrible, Peterson was predictable, Teddy had few weapons and even less time. Given the circumstances it was pretty solid production, but they were terrible circumstances.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Glad he's not on the Saints anymore so I can root for him again. Wish he would've gone to the AFC on a team like the Chargers or Broncos, but not being on the Saints or Packers is a big plus. I'm excited to see what he can do in Carolina. His stats never stand out except that he's a winning QB.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pmIt was really a pretty crappy formula. The OL was terrible, Peterson was predictable, Teddy had few weapons and even less time. Given the circumstances it was pretty solid production, but they were terrible circumstances.
He wasn't a victim. He contributed as much to their offensive shortcomings as anybody.

In NFL terms, it's ancient history now and I doubt anybody's mind will ever be changed about it. He's further into his career now and hopefully a better and more mature QB who will find success in Carolina.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:50 pm
fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pmIt was really a pretty crappy formula. The OL was terrible, Peterson was predictable, Teddy had few weapons and even less time. Given the circumstances it was pretty solid production, but they were terrible circumstances.
He wasn't a victim. He contributed as much to their offensive shortcomings as anybody.

In NFL terms, it's ancient history now and I doubt anybody's mind will ever be changed about it. He's further into his career now and hopefully a better and more mature QB who will find success in Carolina.
I don't think fiesta called him a victim, he said he performed well under the circumstances. The guy was 11 in 5 as a second year QB, he wasn't a victim.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Of course. He certainly wasn't a victim. I just thought he played well and steadily under terrible circumstances, which I admired. I kind of wish Brees had retired and Teddy had a chance to take over in NO, but I think he's a natural born leader and 'cool as the other side of the pillow' to quote the great Chick Hearn.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:20 pmI don't think fiesta called him a victim, he said he performed well under the circumstances. The guy was 11 in 5 as a second year QB, he wasn't a victim.
I meant "victim" as in "victim of circumstance".
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:41 pmOf course. He certainly wasn't a victim. I just thought he played well and steadily under terrible circumstances, which I admired. I kind of wish Brees had retired and Teddy had a chance to take over in NO, but I think he's a natural born leader and 'cool as the other side of the pillow' to quote the great Chick Hearn.
I understand. We never did see eye to eye on him. :) However, I do hope he does well in Carolina. It was nice to see the Saints win in all of his starts last year and after the kind of injury he suffered, how can you not wish the guy good fortune?
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

These 2 clips from the 3 drives he led in the 2016 preseason definitely gave us some excitement. Not sure if he's back to this level in terms of his health, but he looked ready to take the next step that season. Such a heartbreaking story for him and us when he broke his leg.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I will always root for Teddy. He's a great kid/man (however you want to look at it). I believe he can still be special at Q, but I understand the doubts and choose to side with my bias. :lol:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

And offensive success too. Anyone one want to try and compare the 2015 (11-4) Vikings to the 2019 Vikings (10-6)? On the surface, pretty similar seasons. Defenses ranked almost the same. TB had Peterson/Mckinnon, Cousins had Cook/Mattison. Rushing attempts almost identical. Same as passing attempts. I'm thinking Bridgewater had just as good and effective season as Cousins did this year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014