Poet's $Money$ League

A forum for Fantasy Football discussion. Talk about leagues, trades, players or start your own league!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Poet's $Money$ League

Post by dead_poet »

Just finished drafting. Of course I was picking last. .5 PPR. Overall I'm pretty satisfied. Not too many studs outside of Graham, but I'm feeling like I'm solid top to bottom. Going for volume/touches. Only guy I really missed out on was Russell Wilson. I thought I stole Gerhart and Vereen at the bottom of round 5/top of round 6. I wanted Vereen badly. If he can stay healthy I think he's going to pay off in a big way. I was a little upset our Flex doesn't allow a TE as Gronk was inexplicably there for my pick in R4 but I ended up passing in favor of Keenan Allen. Check it out.

Starters

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: DeMarco Murray
RB: Toby Gerhart
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Keenan Allen
TE: Jimmy Graham
RB/WR: Shane Vereen
K: Phil Dawson
D: Patriots

Bench

QB: Tony Romo
RB: Jeremy Hill
RB: Knile Davis
RB: Fred Jackson
RB: Ronnie Hillman
WR: Torrey Smith
WR: Michael Floyd
WR: Kelvin Benjamin
TE: Jordan Reed

As you can tell, I back-loaded a few high-upside handcuffs. Guys on waivers I'm watching: Benny Cunningham, Heath Miller, Aaron Dobson, Cody Latimer
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: Poet's $Money$ League

Post by frosted »

Nice team. I feel exactly the same way about Vereen, I'm in a .5 PPR and I think he is going to be a top 10 RB this season. Dude has so much talent. I took him in the 5th round of my draft Monday night. Oddly enough I also wound up with Matt Ryan and Romo as my QBs.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I like Vereen too but missed out on my chance. I did manage to grab Gerhart who I think can have a strong year. I decided to gamble on a lot of guys this year (Spiller, Harvin, Rice) who fell pretty far. I'm surprised you were able to grab Reed and Graham, that's really amazing depth. Reed is my starter, also grabbed Rudolph who wasn't getting any love in my league.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:I did manage to grab Gerhart who I think can have a strong year.
Nice. I hope he gets the volume everyone is saying he should (and remain in on third downs). Hopefully that offense will move some, which is a concern.
I decided to gamble on a lot of guys this year (Spiller, Harvin, Rice) who fell pretty far.
You have more faith in those guys than I do, though late enough I can see the value and potential upside (especially in return yardage leagues for Spiller and Harvin). I tried avoiding clear timeshare situations. I think Fred Jackson is going to continue to be the lead back in Buffalo but Spiller is healthy now and offers more upside (usage scares me). I just don't know about Harvin's usage either. As we know, he can blow up at any time but he worries me on a run-first team but I think they take the reigns off Wilson some this year and Harvin will benefit. I wanted no part of Rice, who may not even get his job back after his suspension, but offers upside if he earns it back.
I'm surprised you were able to grab Reed and Graham, that's really amazing depth. Reed is my starter, also grabbed Rudolph who wasn't getting any love in my league.
Reed is my starter in another league, but I think it helped that at least on ESPN, he was going very, very late (wasn't even up on the scrolling bar until the latter rounds). His injury history does scare me. Another concussion and he might have trouble getting back on the field at all (which would screw me in the league in which he's my starter). I'm quite comfortable with him as a backup, though, that maybe will net me an upgraded QB or WR in a trade if he blows up for a few weeks.

I'm also on the Torrey Smith bandwagon, though have no idea when I'll have the balls to start him as one of my WRs or flex over Vereen. I thought he was going quite late. Same with Michael Floyd (who I have on several teams).

I have Matt Ryan in every league this year due to my approach waiting to take a QB. He's talented and surrounded by weapons on a pass-first team with a crummy defense. I hope that means he won't put me at too much of a weekly disadvantage.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:You have more faith in those guys than I do, though late enough I can see the value and potential upside (especially in return yardage leagues for Spiller and Harvin). I tried avoiding clear timeshare situations. I think Fred Jackson is going to continue to be the lead back in Buffalo but Spiller is healthy now and offers more upside (usage scares me). I just don't know about Harvin's usage either. As we know, he can blow up at any time but he worries me on a run-first team but I think they take the reigns off Wilson some this year and Harvin will benefit. I wanted no part of Rice, who may not even get his job back after his suspension, but offers upside if he earns it back.
Spiller has burned me in the past but he kept on getting passed up and his upside is too big so I took the chance. My receivers are solid and I have AD so my thought process is I really only need 1 of Gerhart, Spiller, Harvin, or Rice to work out. I think Bevell will manufacture touches for Harvin, their receiving corp isn't the greatest and is even less now with Tate gone. I just look back on what he did here before he got hurt and couldn't pass up on that potential. I wanted to grab Patterson but he went really early. I'm okay with waiting on Rice, I have enough guys to play the wait and see. We're only a couple years out from when he was a top tier fantasy RB so I'm not ready to give up on him just yet especially with the other options in those late rounds (mostly unproven rookies like Hyde).

The other guy I was hoping for was Ellington but he also went early. I thought I could nab either him or Vereen but ended up with neither.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:Spiller has burned me in the past
I'm a member of that club. I defected.
but he kept on getting passed up and his upside is too big so I took the chance. My receivers are solid and I have AD so my thought process is I really only need 1 of Gerhart, Spiller, Harvin, or Rice to work out.
Makes sense. You should be able to hit on at least one of those.
I think Bevell will manufacture touches for Harvin, their receiving corp isn't the greatest and is even less now with Tate gone. I just look back on what he did here before he got hurt and couldn't pass up on that potential.
I think he's going to have a good year and be one of Wilson's primary targets. Carrol did say they wanted to keep him healthy, so I'll be interested in seeing his snap counts.
The other guy I was hoping for was Ellington but he also went early. I thought I could nab either him or Vereen but ended up with neither.
I was gunning for Ellington, too. But he went far earlier than I expected (21 overall). I ended up with Ben Tate in our Vikings league as my RB2. Since then I learned he may be a three-down back. I'm nervous for his injury history but that pick has the potential to pay back in a big way. Pick that shocked me the most in my money league was Bernard going #9 overall (though the guy that drafted him there also has two rostered kickers so...).
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Well Harvin got the touches I was hoping for, looks like he's in the same role as he was here in Minnesota. I think they could have run that jet sweep all day on the Packers so we'll see how it goes as the season progresses. If he has a few more solid games I may use him as trade bait.

The one thing I noticed and bother me a bit is he was stumbling around the field a lot. He seemed to lose his balance quite often, having to put his hand on the turf at times when he was cutting. Hopefully it was his cleats and not the ankle.