2012 General FF thread

A forum for Fantasy Football discussion. Talk about leagues, trades, players or start your own league!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2012 General FF thread

Post by dead_poet »

Post here with results, devastating stories or feats of triumph! Sidebar: it'd be fun to enter into some kind of fan board league sometime so we can defeat fans of lesser teams.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2012 General FF thread

Post by dead_poet »

Week 1

Team 1 (money/main league): Leading 103-87. Still have McFadden/Gates left to play. He's done. Win. Concerned with Cam, Decker didn't do much. Nelson was average.
Team 2: Won 183-93. Would've been even more of a bloodbath had Garcon not left after the first quarter. Team with next highest point total is 110.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

dead_poet wrote:Post here with results, devastating stories or feats of triumph! Sidebar: it'd be fun to enter into some kind of fan board league sometime so we can defeat fans of lesser teams.
Loss- Played Toby over D. Martin in FLEX, Stafford 3 INT's, WR's didn't produce. Hoping it's just rust.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

In my Money league I'm up 74.62 to 55.72. He's only got his kicker left and I've got Ray Rice and A.Gates left to go. Should be an easy win.

Noticable stats from my bench;
C.J. Spiller puts up 17.4 pts
Lance Moore puts up 12
MJD 9.5 pts and should be full time starter next week.

Current QBs;
Cam Newton
Philip Rivers

Current RBs;
Ray Rice
C.J. Spiller
MJD
Reggie Bush

Current WRs;
Miles Austin
Reggie Wayne
Antonio Brown
Lance Moore

Current Strategy;
I have put C.J. Spiller up on the trading block. I'm looking to upgrade QB or WR. Lance Moore will definitely start ahead of Antonio Brown next week but I still feel I'm weak there. I'm seriously considering jumping ship on Cam Newton after only one game. I feel he's in for a serious sophmore slump if he keeps playing the way he did yesterday. I got Sunday ticket for the first time this season so I watched a bit of the Panters game ... he just didn't look very good.

I'm hoping Rivers will have a good game but he's always been inconsistant.

I only need 3 good RBs and I've got 4 ... I'm gonna try to sell on Spiller while his stock is high because I don't think he'll be putting up those kinds of numbers every week.

What do you guys think?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:ICurrent Strategy;
I have put C.J. Spiller up on the trading block. I'm looking to upgrade QB or WR. Lance Moore will definitely start ahead of Antonio Brown next week but I still feel I'm weak there. I'm seriously considering jumping ship on Cam Newton after only one game. I feel he's in for a serious sophmore slump if he keeps playing the way he did yesterday. I got Sunday ticket for the first time this season so I watched a bit of the Panters game ... he just didn't look very good.

I'm hoping Rivers will have a good game but he's always been inconsistant.

I only need 3 good RBs and I've got 4 ... I'm gonna try to sell on Spiller while his stock is high because I don't think he'll be putting up those kinds of numbers every week.

What do you guys think?
I think you need to be patient with Cam and not jump ship right out of the gate. That's exactly what some guys in your league are hoping for: an overreaction. I'm counting on it too as I try and trade for Steven Jackson after a (numbers-wise) pedestrian effort for my RB2 (to replace Ahmad Bradshaw). I also have Cam and am not giving up on him. His upside is too great, particularly where you probably drafted him. I just don't see who you'd replace him with. He's still going to run and get some goal line calls. That's valuable. And he's got some good weapons with Steve Smith, breakout candidate LaFell and solid TE. Rivers is going to struggle with that offensive line and no Vincent Jackson. There'd be no way I'd feel comfortable starting Rivers over Newton. If you can get someone like Matt Ryan (plus a sweetener), maybe. Ryan is going to be a stud this season. He put up huge numbers for me.

I agree that you should be able to get some nice value trading Spiller. You have excellent RB depth. I'd for sure try and upgrade your WRs with that. I'd also put some more thought into Moore over Brown next week. Revis should be on Wallace, so there's no worry there. If that's the case, Ben should target Brown MORE often. And Moore's stat line Sunday could be a bit misleading. All of his production came in the 4th quarter, 88 yards in garbage time. He didn't really come on until Henderson left the game. If Henderson is out next week, then you probably start Moore. But the situation, for me, becomes murkier if Henderson starts. Seems to me Brown is more of a target for Ben than Moore for Brees. Something to think about.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Just saw that Revis was diagnosed with a mild concussion. Players with concussions don't generally play the next week. I'd keep an eye on that when deciding matchups between Moore and Brown.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

In my work league my RBs are McFadden, C. Johnson, and McGahee (only allowed to have 3 RBs on roster, two starters). McGahee seemed like a decent pickup when I drafted but he's 30 years old, seems to get hurt a lot, and might lose playing time to Knowshawn Moreno. I think i'm gonna drop him and pick up CJ Spiller or Stevan Ridley. Thoughts? It seems like CJ Spiller might be the best short-term pickup, but that Ridley will produce more over the course of the season.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HornedMessiah wrote:In my work league my RBs are McFadden, C. Johnson, and McGahee (only allowed to have 3 RBs on roster, two starters). McGahee seemed like a decent pickup when I drafted but he's 30 years old, seems to get hurt a lot, and might lose playing time to Knowshawn Moreno. I think i'm gonna drop him and pick up CJ Spiller or Stevan Ridley. Thoughts? It seems like CJ Spiller might be the best short-term pickup, but that Ridley will produce more over the course of the season.
I don't think you have to worry about Moreno cutting into McGahee's playing time for this reason:
Knowshon Moreno had a night to forget in Denver's Week 1 win over the Steelers, rushing five times for only 13 yards while struggling in pass protection.
Moreno didn't draw a target in the passing game. Moreno was promoted to No. 2 duties in part because the Broncos liked what they thought he could do in pass protection, but he surrendered one of Peyton Manning's two sacks, while getting burned on at least one other blitz.
McGahee is going to be the bell cow in Denver. He's not the sexy pick, but he should be a solid RB2 for you. I understand why it's tempting to drop him for Spiller, though. Spiller is going to have a few really good weeks with Jackson out. But once Jackson returns, depending how he does those weeks, it could be back to a timeshare at best for him. Then you've given up a 20-25-touch RB on a Peyton Manning team that teams can't stack the box against to a timeshare with a Fitzpatrick team that should see more than their fair share (particularly if Steve Johnson's groin has him playing at less than 100%).

Ridley is a guy to watch. I have him in my money league and provided he doesn't draw the ire of Bill by fumbling he has the potential to be a 15-20 carry back and a guy that will close out games when the Pats are up big in the 4th. But I'm still very weary. I have no idea how much Vereen will cut into his carries. And there's always stupid Woodhead (even Hernandez sometimes gets some backfield touches!). It's hard to trust Wacky Bill when it comes to the run game any given week. At least with McGahee you know he's going to get his.

You can't be faulted for making any of the moves you're suggesting, in my opinion. It's a gut call. In my mind Ridley has the most potential on a high-powered offense BUT you have to be mindful you could be disappointed at any given week if Bill decides to feature someone else or have a time-share situation for whatever reason. I wish Vereen's injury was a little more clear. The more he's out, I think the more carries go Ridley's way.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Andre Brown... WTF :wallbang: He's killing me right now and it's not even halftime.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Juice wrote:Andre Brown... WTF :wallbang: He's killing me right now and it's not even halftime.
Don't feel bad. I have him benched in two leagues. In one, I started LaFell over him. Feeling pretty smart about that about now. :wallbang:
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

dead_poet wrote: Don't feel bad. I have him benched in two leagues. In one, I started LaFell over him. Feeling pretty smart about that about now. :wallbang:
Ouch! That sucks. Hopefully you can walk away with wins this week so it won't be as bad.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I have Trent Richardson and Darren Sproles in my PPR league. I picked Brown up last night as a free agent. So of course I started the RBs that got me 31 points and 27 points instead of the RB who would have gotten me 35.

Effin' fantasy football!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Cam Newton came up a little short for me this week so I want to make sure to squeeze as many points out of the rest of my roster as possible.

My lineup;

QB - Cam Newton
WR - Miles Austin
WR - Reggie Wayne
WR - Antonio Brown
RB - C.J. Spiller
RB - Ray Rice
TE - A. Gates
K - Blair Walsh
DEF - Chicago

Bench -
MJD, Reggie Bush, Kyle Rudolph, Santonio Holmes, Lance Moore, Phillip Rivers

My main problem is figuring out which RBs to start. C.J. Spiller has been hot so I don't want to bench him. Ray Rice is Ray Rice but he's facing NE while MJD is @IND. Reggie Bush almost certainly warms the bench.

I'm considering starting Rudolph too ... Gates got benched at the last second last week and I'm afraid that might happen again. I think my WRs are as good as they're going to be ... no help from the bench there.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:Cam Newton came up a little short for me this week so I want to make sure to squeeze as many points out of the rest of my roster as possible.

My lineup;

QB - Cam Newton
WR - Miles Austin
WR - Reggie Wayne
WR - Antonio Brown
RB - C.J. Spiller
RB - Ray Rice
TE - A. Gates
K - Blair Walsh
DEF - Chicago

Bench -
MJD, Reggie Bush, Kyle Rudolph, Santonio Holmes, Lance Moore, Phillip Rivers

My main problem is figuring out which RBs to start. C.J. Spiller has been hot so I don't want to bench him. Ray Rice is Ray Rice but he's facing NE while MJD is @IND. Reggie Bush almost certainly warms the bench.

I'm considering starting Rudolph too ... Gates got benched at the last second last week and I'm afraid that might happen again. I think my WRs are as good as they're going to be ... no help from the bench there.
Jeez. You're loaded. Do you have a flex or are you playing one of your WRs in your flex? If you can get one more RB in there I'd replace Wayne with MJD. You're starting the right two RBs but Bush has been a stud lately too. Keep Gates in there as long as possible before switching to Rudolph.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: Jeez. You're loaded. Do you have a flex or are you playing one of your WRs in your flex? If you can get one more RB in there I'd replace Wayne with MJD. You're starting the right two RBs but Bush has been a stud lately too. Keep Gates in there as long as possible before switching to Rudolph.
No Flex spots, unfortunately. I haven't been able to strike up a trade deal with anybody in the league either. I'd like to upgrade WR but no good so far. At least I'm hogging 4 good RBs and nobody else can use them, I guess. I'll also be set during byes.

Thanks for the advice.