Team (looking for advice/eval)

A forum for Fantasy Football discussion. Talk about leagues, trades, players or start your own league!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Team (looking for advice/eval)

Post by dead_poet »

I may be in bye week hell going up against the #1 player in our league. I'm in need of a RB. Current RBs include Ray Rice, McFadden (on bye) Jackie Battle and Tim Hightower (will be dropping due to torn ACL). I don't have a "stud" QB (Eli Manning, Big Ben, Tebow) though Manning and Big Ben have been pretty solid as of late. I'm considering unloading Tebow if I can trade him for CJ (might have to sweeten with Victor Cruz, which I'm okay with if need be). But my conundrum is this: is Tebow "fantasy gold?"

Had I taken the later-round flier on Cam Newton like I should have given my QB situation I wouldn't be in this mess but Cam does make me worried that Tebow can be nearly as effective (though likely not as proficient through the air).

Would you make the trade?
Last edited by dead_poet on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Re: Sell high on Tebow?

Post by S197 »

Curious, did you make the trade? And since you brought him up, Chris Johnson will never seen the starting lineup in my league again. Ever.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:Curious, did you make the trade? And since you brought him up, Chris Johnson will never seen the starting lineup in my league again. Ever.
I don't want to talk about it. :wallbang:

Okay, fine. I traded Big Ben for CJ. This was a very wrong move. Coupled with the fact that at the last minute I played Tebow over Eli Manning and it translated into a big loss. Though, in my defense, I needed someone to explode in order to have a shot at beating our league's #1 dude (undefeated). I gambled with potential high-reward guys Tebow over Manning and CJ over Jackie Battle. Didn't work out. Doubt I would've had the points even if I had. Unfortunately now I need Manning to go the distance. I can't trust starting Tebow any longer. Bradford is still on waivers. I might have to drop Tebow for Bradford (even if we onliy play 1 QB). Might give it one more week though. We'll see.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I feel you pain, I traded McFadden for CJ early in the year, hoping to buy CJ "low". Unfortunately it looks like I just bought "bust."
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I had a buddy who almost traded fred jackson for cj0k in like week 3 or 4 but I talked him out of it so he owes me big time :P As viking fans with all the AD vs CJ talk this really isn't a surprise to me. He's a punk, held out for his money (AD would never do that) while not keeping his body in shape and clearly benefited from vince youngs deep ball (lead the league in plays of 20+) / legs / that offensive line. Take those things out of the equation and he's the most expensive player to rush for 600 yards EVER I imagine. (that's assuming he does actually get to 600 yards, 302 half way through LOL)

Makes me mad this joker was ever even in the same discussion as AD.

As for Tebow I wouldn't drop him for bradford but I'd be starting eli for sure. He's actually a "high risk high reward" guy to me as he WILL throw a lot, it just comes down to if he has like 4 picks and a fumble to go with that 375 3 td's heh.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

dead_poet wrote: I don't want to talk about it. :wallbang:

Okay, fine. I traded Big Ben for CJ. This was a very wrong move. Coupled with the fact that at the last minute I played Tebow over Eli Manning and it translated into a big loss. Though, in my defense, I needed someone to explode in order to have a shot at beating our league's #1 dude (undefeated). I gambled with potential high-reward guys Tebow over Manning and CJ over Jackie Battle. Didn't work out. Doubt I would've had the points even if I had. Unfortunately now I need Manning to go the distance. I can't trust starting Tebow any longer. Bradford is still on waivers. I might have to drop Tebow for Bradford (even if we onliy play 1 QB). Might give it one more week though. We'll see.
Tebow is feast or famine, heaven and hell, one day he might pass for a TD and run for 2, which is valuable, if you play in a 4 point pass td league. But you have to live and die with the ups and downs, I have him as a backup, and he did great on Eli Mannings bye, but I can't start him every week, not at 6-2 leading my division.
This space available for rent.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Well the good news is that I used CJ as trade bait. Traded him an DeSean Jackson for Steven Jackson. I'm still sitting fine on WRs (Bowe, Cruz, Marshall, A.J. Green, Greg Little, Antonio Brown). Needed another RB after McFadden went down with injury (and I was too stupid to pick up Bush). I never knew when to play DeSean anyway (boom or bust and I hate trying to predict that). Hopefully this wasn't a dumb decision.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

DeSean will have a big game eventually. Vick just seems to like Maclin a little bit more this year.

for today roll with Bowe, Cruz, and A.J. Green
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NextQuestion wrote:DeSean will have a big game eventually. Vick just seems to like Maclin a little bit more this year.

for today roll with Bowe, Cruz, and A.J. Green
Yep. That's how I set my lineup. Vonte Davis is out for Miami so Bowe should have a decent day (provided Baldwin doesn't steal too many targets). Feel a lot better with Steven Jackson in the lineup than Chris Johnson. Of course, I say that now and watch CJ blow up.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Current teams/questions

Post by dead_poet »

Just posting an update on my teams. Feel free to evaluate.

Team A (10-team money league)
Current record: 6-3 (T-2 West)

QB(1): Eli Manning, Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford (possibly dropping for Laurent Robinson)
RB (2): Ray Rice, Darren McFadden, Steven Jackson, Jackie Battle
WR (2): A.J. Green, Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Marshall, Victor Cruz, Greg Little, Antonio Brown, Laurent Robinson (if I get him on Waivers)
RB/WR(1)
TE: Gates, Gronkowski, Hernandez
D: Ravens
K: Gostkowski

Strengths: RBs, WRs (to an extent), TE, D
Weaknesses: QB

Note: I'm thinking about dropping Battle, Little and Bradford and adding Robinson, Bennett (really as more of defensive moves than anything).

Question: Should I drop Bradford? Tebow is pretty boom-or-bust and still could be benched.
Question 2: Would you play Tebow over Manning?
Question 3: Any other moves you'd do?

Team B 12-team league
Current record: 6-3 (T-1 in East)

QB(1): Matt Stafford, Tony Romo
RB (2): Arian Foster, Frank Gore, DeMarco Murray
WR (2): Larry Fitzgerald, Mario Manningham, Percy Harvin, Julio Jones
TE (1): Finley, Fred Davis
Flex (1)
Def: Bengals (usually adjust based on matchups but may keep Bengals).
K: Janikowski

Strengths: QB, RB
Weaknesses: WR, Def

Note: I'd feel better about my TEs if Finley wasn't such a disappointment this year. Davis is a nice surprise but he's been dealing with an injury recently and inept QB play. I have used him at Flex before I hit gold with Murray. Would really like to improve my WRs, but it'd probably have to be at the expense of Gore (though I've been trying to dangle Murray).

Question: Should I drop the Bengals (upcoming schedule: Pit, Bal, Cle, Pit, Hou, STL, ARI, BAL) for the Redskins (upcoming schedule: MIA, DAL, SEA, NYJ, NE, NYG, MIN, PHI), Eagles (upcoming schedule: ARI against Skelton, NYG, NE, SEA, MIA, NYJ, DAL, WSH) or Giants (upcoming schedule: SF, PHI, NO, GB, DAL, Wsh, NYJ, DAL)?

I think over the long haul the Bengals have the friendliest schedule, however if I go by matchups I'm leaning towards picking up the Eagles. No Kolb and Wells isn't 100%. There's potential for some points here. But I'd have to drop the Bengals (or another player). 'Skins vs. Miami sounds pretty tasty too. Thoughts?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Team (looking for advice/eval)

Post by dead_poet »

Thinking about making a run at Rodgers in my money league (see Team A above). Owner is in 7th place and could use the help.

Give: Eli Manning, Victor Cruz, Antonio Gates
Get: Aaron Rodgers

Thoughts?
Bill Carson
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bill Carson »

dead_poet wrote:Thinking about making a run at Rodgers in my money league (see Team A above). Owner is in 7th place and could use the help.

Thoughts?
If you can get Rodgers no price is too high. He's playing record breaking football right now and the team that has him in our league is dominating. man I hate the packers
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:Thinking about making a run at Rodgers in my money league (see Team A above). Owner is in 7th place and could use the help.

Thoughts?
I'd run the numbers.

How many points on average would Aaron Rodgers and the players that would replace Cruz and Gates get?

How many points would your current players put up on average?

Go with whichever is higher.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: I'd run the numbers.

How many points on average would Aaron Rodgers and the players that would replace Cruz and Gates get?

How many points would your current players put up on average?

Go with whichever is higher.
It's pretty close but I'm fairly certain Rodgers would give me the edge. I can replace Gates with Gronk and it's essentially a wash. Cruz is #3 WR on the Giants when Nicks is healthy (odds are Nicks plays this week) but he's still viable. But probably not more than Green, Marshall or Bowe (though higher than Laurent Robinson and either the same or a tad higher than Antonio Brown). Obviously Rogers is superior to Manning, Tebow or Bradford. I think I'd be gaining in the long run with Rodgers. Though I do wonder if he would sit some during fantasy playoffs if GB continues to win.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: It's pretty close but I'm fairly certain Rodgers would give me the edge. I can replace Gates with Gronk and it's essentially a wash. Cruz is #3 WR on the Giants when Nicks is healthy (odds are Nicks plays this week) but he's still viable. But probably not more than Green, Marshall or Bowe (though higher than Laurent Robinson and either the same or a tad higher than Antonio Brown). Obviously Rogers is superior to Manning, Tebow or Bradford. I think I'd be gaining in the long run with Rodgers. Though I do wonder if he would sit some during fantasy playoffs if GB continues to win.
That's a big question. Especially if they lose a game between now and then and aren't playing to be "perfect" he'll almost certain sit if they've got their spot clenched.

That happens to a lot of the top teams in leagues. A guy will be #1 all season but his players are mostly on playoffs teams that have clenched. In most of the leagues I've been in the #3 or #4 guy ends up winning a lot of the time.

Anyway ... considering your options I'd take Rodgers I think. Is there much drop off between Manning and your other QB options fantasy wise? If not, it's a no-brainer.