2018 NFL Draft Thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Bigwehrm
Starter

Re: 2018 NFL Draft Thread

Post by Bigwehrm »

This is absolutely no way this draft could be going any worse! And I'm a Rick fan but man way to F this one up. Hmm a run on lineman let's get cute and not take one in rd1 let's what toll pick 6x. Jeez
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Seems like Brian's main weakness is his lack of strength and weight which shouldn't be a problem to improve.

I know quickness and speed are two different things. At least Oneill is fast.
.@JaredGoff16 vs. @Jaboowins vs. the fastest OL of the day Brian O'Neill.

Watching a couple of clips, he does look quick IMO. He gets out in the open well.
O'Neill has been projected by some in the media to be a first-round pick. A couple of team sources said they had O'Neill as a third/fourth-round pick. One AFC general manager said they had O'Neill as a third-day pick and felt O'Neill lacked strength. Given the needs of teams at tackle, O'Neill is likely to be a second-day pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. If he adds strength, O'Neill could develop into a quality starting left tackle.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... z5DwkZzhgM

O’Neill has the prototypical size and length for a left tackle in the NFL, and the desired athleticism. He tied for the highest pass blocking efficiency, as measured by PFF, in 2016, and was ranked third in that measure in 2017.

But his draft stock dropped after a mixed performance at the Senior Bowl (winning only 27% of his 1-on-1 reps), and a lack of core strength criticism among scouts. The one thing I would point out about his Senior Bowl performance was that in 8 of the 11 one-on-one reps he had that week, he was playing right tackle, not left tackle where he played all of last season. At left tackle he won 2 of 3 reps, or 67%, which is much better, if a very tiny sample size.
Read More:Breaking Down Brian O’Neill
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

YikesVikes wrote:"Strengths: Size, effort.

Weaknesses: Quickness, balance.

Brian O’Neill is a tortoise coming off the line of scrimmage, forcing him to lunge and lose balance as he tries to compensate. He’ll raise injury liability premiums for his quarterback as a left tackle but could be a stopgap on the right side or get the job done at guard. O’Neill took some goal-line carries and threw a few trick-play passes at Pitt, so he may provide a smidge of extra value as a goal-line fullback.

This was an obvious need pick for the Vikings. But O’Neill is too much like the kind of slow-footed offensive line prospect that has gotten the team into trouble in the past.

Grade: D-plus"

From Bleacher Report
For some perspective on this "expert's" analytical skills, he gave the Broncos a C for choosing Bradley Chubb. I'll leave it at that.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
halfgiz wrote:@Andrew_Krammer
35m
Jamaal Stephenson, Vikings’ director of college scouting: It really was about taking the best offensive lineman available (at pick 62). Never seen this many guards go so early.
Thats an alarming statement.
That's a stunning admission.
Let's just say Scott Studwell doesn't make that mistake if he is still in charge.

At this point, I would rather see the team move draft capital for a veteran. The best two linemen left are JaMarco Jones (Ohio St.) and Tyrell Crosby (Oregon) and neither excite me.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

808vikingsfan wrote:Seems like Brian's main weakness is his lack of strength and weight which shouldn't be a problem to improve.

I know quickness and speed are two different things. At least Oneill is fast.
.@JaredGoff16 vs. @Jaboowins vs. the fastest OL of the day Brian O'Neill.

Watching a couple of clips, he does look quick IMO. He gets out in the open well.
O'Neill has been projected by some in the media to be a first-round pick. A couple of team sources said they had O'Neill as a third/fourth-round pick. One AFC general manager said they had O'Neill as a third-day pick and felt O'Neill lacked strength. Given the needs of teams at tackle, O'Neill is likely to be a second-day pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. If he adds strength, O'Neill could develop into a quality starting left tackle.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... z5DwkZzhgM

O’Neill has the prototypical size and length for a left tackle in the NFL, and the desired athleticism. He tied for the highest pass blocking efficiency, as measured by PFF, in 2016, and was ranked third in that measure in 2017.

But his draft stock dropped after a mixed performance at the Senior Bowl (winning only 27% of his 1-on-1 reps), and a lack of core strength criticism among scouts. The one thing I would point out about his Senior Bowl performance was that in 8 of the 11 one-on-one reps he had that week, he was playing right tackle, not left tackle where he played all of last season. At left tackle he won 2 of 3 reps, or 67%, which is much better, if a very tiny sample size.
Read More:Breaking Down Brian O’Neill
He's fast and quick for a Oline. The issue is he was a high school wr and eventually a TE. I fear that he doesn't have much room for added strength genetically. Players of that build can only add so much strength.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Just saw that Phillip's got drafted. I turned it off after we traded out. I assumed her would be there today. Yikes. What are we going to do next year. No way we resign Sheldon right?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Rick: "Don't think I won't draft TJ Clemmings again. He's not eligible but so help me I'll write his name on this card."

Zimmer: "Does he play corner? I don't know any of these f-ing guys."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

@Fiesta: Belange is intriguing, but I think we need a DE to bolster our line depth. Our lack here showed in both playoff games.

I hope we draft Okoronkwo from OK.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:@Fiesta: Belange is intriguing, but I think we need a DE to bolster our line depth. Our lack here showed in both playoff games.

They just snagged a DE/DT. Looks like Danielle Hunter. Powerhouse without much skill to date.
Ballage is a perfect match for the offense I think they're gonna run. Also saves money over Murray's contract next year.

Come on Vikings. Use one of those compensatory picks to trade up and take him!!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:@Fiesta: Belange is intriguing, but I think we need a DE to bolster our line depth. Our lack here showed in both playoff games.

They just snagged a DE/DT. Looks like Danielle Hunter. Powerhouse without much skill to date.
Ballage is a perfect match for the offense I think they're gonna run. Also saves money over Murray's contract next year.

I guess they viewed DE as a need too. Any chance your guy hangs around till our next pick? I do think we could use a RB. No guarantees that Cook comes back w/o problems off of the ACL and Murray is overpaid.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

I guess they viewed DE as a need too. Any chance your guy hangs around till our next pick? I do think we could use a RB. No guarantees that Cook comes back w/o problems off of the ACL and Murray is overpaid.
I'd guess he's the next RB off the board, maybe second. He's dynamic. He has the ability to run guys over and keep his feet, stay in bounds, not miss a stride.

DAMN! :wallbang:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Darn. Seems like he would have had the potential to make a bigger impact than the DE we nabbed. Time will tell.

Any chance we use one of our 4 (!) 6th rounders to move up in the 5th? That's all that's keeping me dialed in at this point.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:Darn. Seems like he would have had the potential to make a bigger impact than the DE we nabbed. Time will tell.

Any chance we use one of our 4 (!) 6th rounders to move up in the 5th? That's all that's keeping me dialed in at this point.
I don't mind the DE pick. He fits the MO of this team, a long powerful bull rushing DE. I just wish they would've traded up to get Ballage. Not sure who they'd trade up for at this point, have to look over who's left.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Lol.. we just traded with the Jets for a pick we traded to the Jets