Draft Talk 2018

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Dakotavike
Starter

Re: Draft Talk 2018

Post by Dakotavike »

I agree, seems like the draft talk has been pretty quiet. One question I have is that I didn't see Wynn's name on the list of official 30 visits on Walterfootball. Maybe I just missed it but it seems odd they wouldn't bring him in. Seems like one of our top realistic prospects.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

Dakotavike wrote:I agree, seems like the draft talk has been pretty quiet. One question I have is that I didn't see Wynn's name on the list of official 30 visits on Walterfootball. Maybe I just missed it but it seems odd they wouldn't bring him in. Seems like one of our top realistic prospects.
That could actually be a sign that he is our number one target and we don't want to provide any clues. Maybe we like him so much that we would forfeit a late pick to move up a few spots in round one if he falls near us. It's the off season, so things are rarely what they seem. Sometimes there's a connection. A coach on his college team is connected to Zim, Rick or another trusted Viking staff member. The coach tells our guys that Wynn is high character, can't miss guy. I think this happens a lot.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

This was recently updated. Give it a look!

Here are some position rankings, as well:

Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

Ragnow ahead of Wynn/Hernandez/Price?!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Vikefan60 wrote:Ragnow ahead of Wynn/Hernandez/Price?!
He explains his reasoning in the link. 8)
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Hernadez and Price both in the first two rounds.

Hernadez reminds me of Richie I.
so strong inside.

Price is hurt so will drop a little ..

With Elflin and those two ...my godness
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

jackal wrote:Hernadez and Price both in the first two rounds.

Hernadez reminds me of Richie I.
so strong inside.

Price is hurt so will drop a little ..

With Elflin and those two ...my godness
I would love for that to happen! Ragnow might be a nice consolation prize, but there is no way he is picked higher than Wynn or Hernandez. That's just crazy talk.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Man with that OL we could dominate the
run and have Theilen and Diggs punish
teams... We would kill teams and finally
win a championship.. SKOL !!!
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I didn't read the link but Ragnow is all about how concerned you are about his injury.
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

I read on ESPN today that some teams are a little concerned about durability issues with Wynn. Curious to see if he falls. Also, still seems awfully quiet on the board with the draft being this Thursday!!!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Just my opinion, but when drafting this late, it is really more about their player eval AND what scenario plays out as teams make their picks. Does somebody they rate highly drop? Do they feel like the guys in the 2nd round are just as good as their choices at 30 and trade back? It can go in a lot of different ways.

To me this is a year where it is more about the day of the draft than all the hype leading up to it. right now there is just so much that is unknown it is hard to really latch on to something.

On top of all that, how many of these prospects actually pan out? OL has been far from a sure thing the past 3-5 years. NFL teams know that. Thus it is possible that the 1st round goes entirely different than people are expecting.

I plan to just wait and see.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Dakotavike wrote:I read on ESPN today that some teams are a little concerned about durability issues with Wynn. Curious to see if he falls. Also, still seems awfully quiet on the board with the draft being this Thursday!!!
Agreed, it’s quiet around here. Makes me nostalgic for the old days when the board had more activity.

I think this is a decent take, despite coming from ESPN
The Vikings will take advantage of QB-needy teams late in the first round and trade down

Minnesota is slated to pick at No. 30, which is essentially a second-round pick, so it can capitalize on teams wanting a quarterback and still get the player it wants early on Day 2. Outside of the top two to three offensive linemen, most of the guards the Vikings have their eyes on will be available from Nos. 33-40, so they're in a favorable position to get the player they want there and pick again at 62. GM Rick Spielman is a master of movement on draft night, so the Vikings could get considerable compensation for their first-rounder and end up with more draft capital than they had coming in. -- Courtney Cronin]
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Texas, that is my hope. With a strong QB class and our QB need handled there is a good chance that better talent might drop to us. This is a great draft to be picking 6-12 in. If there is a run on QBs, you can grab elite talent lower than usual or trade down and collect a handful of picks. (I hope we are not a team that is trading up...)
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mansquatch wrote:Texas, that is my hope. With a strong QB class and our QB need handled there is a good chance that better talent might drop to us. This is a great draft to be picking 6-12 in. If there is a run on QBs, you can grab elite talent lower than usual or trade down and collect a handful of picks. (I hope we are not a team that is trading up...)
I'm imagining myself staying up until our pick on Thursday, only to see them trade out of the first. Even if it turns out right, that's always a frustrating draft night development.

My gut tells me we get Ragnow, but with Trader Rick, one never knows.

Happy draft week, y'all! :thumbsup: