Our salary cap situation isn't that good

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

mike2mike
Starter

Our salary cap situation isn't that good

Post by mike2mike »

Looks like Vikings have drafted so well and developed well with Barr, Kendricks, Hunter and Diggs and Teddy Bridgewater and others but we had them all on rookie contracts. Now it is time to pay them all and it looks like we can't really do it and keep a QB and avoid rebuilding much less preserve enough cap room to not only keep our free agents but also add to the talent through a big free agent signing or two. We have always seemed to find a way to make it all work but I would be amazed if Speilman and Brezinski pulls I think all off.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/11/1 ... -cap-storm

All the more reason we need to get it done THIS YEAR.

Building a team is hard... all the work you do getting the right draft picks and drafting well and developing them just costs you when it comes time to sign them... I thought the Vikings were doing really well at not mortgaging the future and keeping a really good team together but it looks like the good drafting is finally catching up to us or at least it will soon.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Our salary cap situation isn't that good

Post by S197 »

Very good article, thanks for posting. Certainly sheds light on the difficult decisions that are going to be coming up.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'm not sure where those projections come from, but Hunter is valued at 17.5mil and the author contends he could be traded for the #1 overall pick.

I can't really take the analysis serious.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I have a bad feeling Barr will be an odd man out. I think he's underrated because of Kendricks.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I don't think this makes a hole bunch of sense.

according to Overthecap,

10 million in dead money comes off the books for next year.
18 million for Sam Bradford.

Other Expiring contracts (over 1 million)
Emmanuel Lamur - 2.75
Tom Jonson - 2.35
Terrence Newman - 3.5
Teddy Bridgewater - 2.18
Shariff Floyd - 4.74
Joe Berger - 2.13
Case Keenum - 1.9
Marcus Sherels - 2.0
Shamar Stephen - 1.81
Michael Floyd - 1.14

Total: appx 24.5

That adds up to a total of about 52.5 off the cap.

OTC lists cap space in 2018 as 64.35

Contracts they could slough off to sane cap space
Kyle Rudolph - 6.38 (1.3 dead) in 2018. 7.63 (0 dead) in 2019
Latavius Murray - 5.15 in 2018. 5.00 (.6 dead) in 2019
Andrew Sendejo - 3.5 in 2018. 5.5 million in 2019.
Brian Robison - 3.5 in 2018. FA in 2019

These wouldn't be easy guys to part with but could create another 18.5 in cap space in 2018 and 18.1 in 2019 if you needed it in order to retain core players.
Barr, Diggs, Kerndricks, and Hunter are all under contract in 2018 for a combined number of apps 15.5.

That gives you a total of about 98 million in 2018 to potentially work with in signing and retaining players. 4 of the 5 players listed in the OP remain under contract.

The contracts that really stink are Jarius Wright and LaQuan Treadwell. Not to say those aren't potentially valuable players, but neither one is utilized much and they are basically locked on the roster fo 2018 unless they can be traded.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins