2016 draft: Receivers

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24566
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

2016 draft: Receivers

Post by dead_poet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:48 am

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he "[doesn't] think there's a receiver this year that is that [Top-15 selection in the 2016 NFL Draft]."

One of the five scouts interviewed by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel compared Ole Miss junior wideout Laquon Treadwell to former Louisville star and current Dolphin DeVante Parker (who was drafted 14th overall by Miami). "Not a great group [of receivers]," the scout said, adding that "it's a similar situation to last year. I don't believe there's that dynamic speed guy like a Phillip Dorsett, which got him in the first round last year."
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24566
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by dead_poet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:09 am

Josh Doctson - WR - Horned Frogs

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that TCU senior WR Josh Doctson (wrist) has "got great hands, maybe the best hands of [this draft-eligible class of wide receivers]."

The scout speculated that if Doctson's able to impress during the combine with his 40-time, he could crack the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound senior's currently rehabbing from a broken left wrist suffered against Oklahoma State on November 7. His status for the Valero Alamo Bowl against Oregon on January 2 should become known on Thursday after his cast is removed. He's already accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl as he prepares for his draft journey.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:03 pm

dead_poet wrote:An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he "[doesn't] think there's a receiver this year that is that [Top-15 selection in the 2016 NFL Draft]."

One of the five scouts interviewed by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel compared Ole Miss junior wideout Laquon Treadwell to former Louisville star and current Dolphin DeVante Parker (who was drafted 14th overall by Miami). "Not a great group [of receivers]," the scout said, adding that "it's a similar situation to last year. I don't believe there's that dynamic speed guy like a Phillip Dorsett, which got him in the first round last year."
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
And? Look how Dorsett is performing. Every year we see the same thing. Time after time, these players with impressive measurable are being over-drafted. What happened to the good old days of just seeing a guy can play the position or not?

Sometimes, I question the ability of some of scouts. Not saying I would be any better, but, it gives an individual pause.
0 x
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3665
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by Texas Vike » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:08 pm

dead_poet wrote:Josh Doctson - WR - Horned Frogs

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that TCU senior WR Josh Doctson (wrist) has "got great hands, maybe the best hands of [this draft-eligible class of wide receivers]."

The scout speculated that if Doctson's able to impress during the combine with his 40-time, he could crack the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound senior's currently rehabbing from a broken left wrist suffered against Oklahoma State on November 7. His status for the Valero Alamo Bowl against Oregon on January 2 should become known on Thursday after his cast is removed. He's already accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl as he prepares for his draft journey.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Cool personal note on Doctson: he wasn't a highly esteemed player coming out of HS here in the DFW metro area. As a three star recruit, he went to Wyoming, initially, His mother is the vice chancellor of marketing and communication at TCU, so he transferred after one year and worked on technique as he sat out one year per NCAA rules. What I like about his story is that he worked at his craft with discipline and became a seriously talented RECEIVER. He's not just a track star (like Listenbee, who literally is a track star), he's a very talented catcher of the football.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24566
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by dead_poet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Texas Vike wrote:
Cool personal note on Doctson: he wasn't a highly esteemed player coming out of HS here in the DFW metro area. As a three star recruit, he went to Wyoming, initially, His mother is the vice chancellor of marketing and communication at TCU, so he transferred after one year and worked on technique as he sat out one year per NCAA rules. What I like about his story is that he worked at his craft with discipline and became a seriously talented RECEIVER. He's not just a track star (like Listenbee, who literally is a track star), he's a very talented catcher of the football.
You might like this: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/08/24/rs ... h-doctson/

If you liked that there are some great longer-form analysis on Michael Thomas, Sterling Shepard and Laquon Treadwell
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3665
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by Texas Vike » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:11 pm

dead_poet wrote: You might like this: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/08/24/rs ... h-doctson/

If you liked that there are some great longer-form analysis on Michael Thomas, Sterling Shepard and Laquon Treadwell
Interesting video. I wanted to hear him address contested balls/ Doctson's ability to out jump/ out maneuver guys.

See, especially, from 2:40 to 3:40 mark in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fd7A14Ubo

But I liked this guy's analysis.
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37416
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by Mothman » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Texas Vike wrote:See, especially, from 2:40 to 3:40 mark in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fd7A14Ubo
Nice! The Vikings could use more of that kind of playmaking in their offense.
0 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3665
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by Texas Vike » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Mothman wrote: Nice! The Vikings could use more of that kind of playmaking in their offense.

Do you think Teddy would open things up and take some risks if he had Doctson or a similar WR? I mean, Boykin (TCU QB) just knew that if he had Doctson in single coverage his man would come down with the ball no matter what. I see Teddy do that a bit with Rudy, but no one else really. He seems to like a very large margin for error, so if a WR's special talent is to go up and win contested balls, but we have a QB who will never throw contested balls... it would be a wasted talent.

I'd focused on 2:40 to 3:40, but that opening catch against the Gophers --among many others in the video-- are just amazing catches and a testament to what he can do.
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37416
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by Mothman » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Texas Vike wrote:Do you think Teddy would open things up and take some risks if he had Doctson or a similar WR?


I'd like to think so.
I mean, Boykin (TCU QB) just knew that if he had Doctson in single coverage his man would come down with the ball no matter what. I see Teddy do that a bit with Rudy, but no one else really. He seems to like a very large margin for error, so if a WR's special talent is to go up and win contested balls, but we have a QB who will never throw contested balls... it would be a wasted talent.
I agree but honestly, at that point I'd say look for a for a new QB because if they get Bridgewater a weapon with that capability and he's unwilling to take advantage of it, he's the wrong guy for the job. I think your take above is right on target. Maybe his willingness to take some of those chances when throwing to Rudolph is an indication that he just needs the right receiver to trust.
I'd focused on 2:40 to 3:40, but that opening catch against the Gophers --among many others in the video-- are just amazing catches and a testament to what he can do.
Indeed. He's impressive. I just wish people didn't insist on using terrible rap as the accompaniment to so many highlight videos!
0 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3665
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by Texas Vike » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:48 am

Mothman wrote: Indeed. He's impressive. I just wish people didn't insist on using terrible rap as the accompaniment to so many highlight videos!
I know! I decided not to say, "turn off the sound" in order to avoid sounding like a crusty curmudgeon, but yeah... what is with that song? I'm not advocating Peter, Paul and Mary for your highlight vids, but avoiding offensive language would probably be a good call. I wonder if players get to have ANY say in the song selection... likely not. Doctson, from what I know, is a really mature and responsible kid, hyper-aware that anything he does reflects on his mother, an important administrator at TCU.

My one concern with Doctson is his slender build and whether he can withstand the hits. He's battled some injuries.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24566
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by dead_poet » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 am

Texas Vike wrote: I know! I decided not to say, "turn off the sound" in order to avoid sounding like a crusty curmudgeon, but yeah... what is with that song? I'm not advocating Peter, Paul and Mary for your highlight vids, but avoiding offensive language would probably be a good call. I wonder if players get to have ANY say in the song selection... likely not. Doctson, from what I know, is a really mature and responsible kid, hyper-aware that anything he does reflects on his mother, an important administrator at TCU.

My one concern with Doctson is his slender build and whether he can withstand the hits. He's battled some injuries.
How many has he had in his career? I'm not worried long-term about the wrist injury he sustained this year.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24566
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by dead_poet » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 am

An AFC North scout pegs TCU senior WR Josh Doctson (wrist) as a third-round talent.

"Josh Doctson has had a terrific last two years in college, especially in 2015," he said. "He used his size and talents to great benefit, and played over the top of most defenders, and sometimes surprised people with a burst of speed. Overall, I like his talents, but I am not projecting him anywhere near the first round -- as is often heard when he plays a televised game. Right now, I have him graded as an early third rounder." Doctson's hands, leaping ability, size and power were almost unfair against college CBs in TCU's system, but the NFL wants him to prove that he has the speed to get downfield against NFL secondaries and the fluidity to get out of breaks on a dime. Dec 16 - 8:03 PM
Source: NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -than-bosa
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

randomghost11
Rookie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:48 am

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by randomghost11 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:02 am

Rap is popular among current players and especially the younger guys so it makes sense to use the same music that the players use to get hype for the highlights.
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37416
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by Mothman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:20 am

Texas Vike wrote: I know! I decided not to say, "turn off the sound" in order to avoid sounding like a crusty curmudgeon, but yeah... what is with that song? I'm not advocating Peter, Paul and Mary for your highlight vids...
:lol: I'm now imagining that same set of highlights playing to "Puff the Magic Dragon".
My one concern with Doctson is his slender build and whether he can withstand the hits. He's battled some injuries.
That's always a legit concern but he sure seems to possess the kind of skills and playmaking ability the Vikes need.
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37416
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by Mothman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:23 am

randomghost11 wrote:Rap is popular among current players and especially the younger guys so it makes sense to use the same music that the players use to get hype for the highlights.
I understand that and it makes sense. It's not the use of rap that bugs me so much as the song choices, which often seem irritating and grating to me. I usually end up turning the sound down. Then again, most of the rap I like is 15+ years old now.
0 x

Post Reply