Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

Bowl Games
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29032
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Texas Vike [ Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Bowl Games

I am surprised there's no thread yet.

Oklahoma is up 7-0 in the first quarter of the Orange Bowl (semi final).

IMO, OK is ultimately no better than 3 other teams in the Big 12 (Baylor, TCU and OK St.), but I'm in their corner today.

In the Cotton Bowl, it's hard to go against Bama, though I think Mich. St. will give them a hard fought game.


Players to watch:
QB Connor Cook Mich St.; Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson; Reggie Ragland ILB Alabama; A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama; OL Conklin Mich. St. ; Shaq Lawson DE Clemson (hurt in first quarter); Jarran Reed DT Alabama; Jonathan Allen DE Alabama; Derrick Henry RB Alabama; Jayron Kearse SS Clemson.



Thoughts?

Author:  The Breeze [ Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

I didn't watch either game....
The Spartans were a no show evidently.

Author:  Texas Vike [ Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

The Breeze wrote:
I didn't watch either game....
The Spartans were a no show evidently.



Yeah, Alabama's front four are absolutely dominant.

First game was a battle until OK's RBs both got hurt.

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Texas Vike wrote:
I am surprised there's no thread yet.

Oklahoma is up 7-0 in the first quarter of the Orange Bowl (semi final).

IMO, OK is ultimately no better than 3 other teams in the Big 12 (Baylor, TCU and OK St.), but I'm in their corner today.

In the Cotton Bowl, it's hard to go against Bama, though I think Mich. St. will give them a hard fought game.


Players to watch:
QB Connor Cook Mich St.; Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson; Reggie Ragland ILB Alabama; A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama; OL Conklin Mich. St. ; Shaq Lawson DE Clemson (hurt in first quarter); Jarran Reed DT Alabama; Jonathan Allen DE Alabama; Derrick Henry RB Alabama; Jayron Kearse SS Clemson.



Thoughts?


I think if the playoffs started a couple of weeks sooner, OK would have beat Clemson. They were on a ROLL. That's why I hate how there is more than month between the games sometimes.

Author:  Texas Vike [ Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
I am surprised there's no thread yet.

Oklahoma is up 7-0 in the first quarter of the Orange Bowl (semi final).

IMO, OK is ultimately no better than 3 other teams in the Big 12 (Baylor, TCU and OK St.), but I'm in their corner today.

In the Cotton Bowl, it's hard to go against Bama, though I think Mich. St. will give them a hard fought game.


Players to watch:
QB Connor Cook Mich St.; Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson; Reggie Ragland ILB Alabama; A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama; OL Conklin Mich. St. ; Shaq Lawson DE Clemson (hurt in first quarter); Jarran Reed DT Alabama; Jonathan Allen DE Alabama; Derrick Henry RB Alabama; Jayron Kearse SS Clemson.



Thoughts?


I think if the playoffs started a couple of weeks sooner, OK would have beat Clemson. They were on a ROLL. That's why I hate how there is more than month between the games sometimes.


Do you mean they were on a roll at the end of the season? Wasn't Perrine hurt (and Mixon too?) after the TCU game? I love the Sooner's QB, one of my favorite players in CFB. The guy is a fighter.

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

They were fine... They played awesome agaimst Oklahoma State. Im not saying it has to be the week after, but a month really kills momentum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Author:  Texas Vike [ Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

PurpleMustReign wrote:
They were fine... They played awesome agaimst Oklahoma State. Im not saying it has to be the week after, but a month really kills momentum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk



I disagree. I like the time off to get guys back from injuries and refocus. Furthermore, these are students after all, they need to deal with final exams for fall semester and then have a bit of family time for the holidays. The good teams stay focused and keep their motivation.

On another note: DP, sorry to see your Hawkeyes take the brunt of Stanford's focused effort yesterday. Wow. They were impressive.

Lastly, I'm so disappointed in Boykin's horrible series of bad decisions which led to his arrest and suspension. Tonight's game between TCU and Oregon would have been super entertaining. I don't think the Horned Frogs have a chance without Boykin. They have a horrible defense, so their only hope was to put up big points (as they typically do)... which is very doubtful now.

Author:  Texas Vike [ Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

TCU - Oregon was entertaining all the same! Wow, what a game.

Author:  The Breeze [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Texas Vike wrote:
TCU - Oregon was entertaining all the same! Wow, what a game.

holy crap! I checked that score and it was 38-3. I don't have tv....sure wish I had seen that one. 3ots.

Author:  Jordysghost [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Texas Vike wrote:
TCU - Oregon was entertaining all the same! Wow, what a game.


I started watching that one right when TCU scored thir first points on a field goal, great Football game!

Author:  Texas Vike [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

The Breeze wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
TCU - Oregon was entertaining all the same! Wow, what a game.

holy crap! I checked that score and it was 38-3. I don't have tv....sure wish I had seen that one. 3ots.


Yeah, Oregon just stomped them in the first half. TCU looked like they were going to get skunked and embarrassed. They just couldn't do anything without Boykin (QB, suspended) or Doctson (WR, injured) on offense and their D couldn't contain O's QB and impressive WRs. Then Oregon's QB got injured, as did their Center, and suddenly the tables were turned. The center's injury was key because there were quite a few poor snaps in the 2nd half. Very exciting game to watch, by far the best this season.

Author:  The Breeze [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Texas Vike wrote:
The Breeze wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
TCU - Oregon was entertaining all the same! Wow, what a game.

holy crap! I checked that score and it was 38-3. I don't have tv....sure wish I had seen that one. 3ots.


Yeah, Oregon just stomped them in the first half. TCU looked like they were going to get skunked and embarrassed. They just couldn't do anything without Boykin (QB, suspended) or Doctson (WR, injured) on offense and their D couldn't contain O's QB and impressive WRs. Then Oregon's QB got injured, as did their Center, and suddenly the tables were turned. The center's injury was key because there were quite a few poor snaps in the 2nd half. Very exciting game to watch, by far the best this season.

I didn't know that about Oregon's center getting knocked out too. I saw that the Ducks netted 18yds of offense in the 2nd half. That's hard to imagine.
-
That Cactus bowl game looked pretty exciting as well. Probably should've made an effort to see some of these games....pretty good bowl season.

Author:  Texas Vike [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

@ Breeze

I just watched the highlights of the Cactus Bowl (that game started way too late for me here in CST), looks like it was a continuation of the TCU-Oregon game!

Did you move to S. Utah or is that a seasonal deal? Are you near the National Parks down there? Beautiful country in those parts---I need to get back to Zion NP and Bryce NP.

Author:  The Breeze [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Texas Vike wrote:
@ Breeze

I just watched the highlights of the Cactus Bowl (that game started way too late for me here in CST), looks like it was a continuation of the TCU-Oregon game!

Did you move to S. Utah or is that a seasonal deal? Are you near the National Parks down there? Beautiful country in those parts---I need to get back to Zion NP and Bryce NP.

Hey, I'm about 40mins from Zion in Cedar City. I was born here and have inherited a house that i'm casually fixing up, maybe to rent som day. Mainly it's a place to keep my stuff and experience electricity...haven't had either in a long time.
Still an Oregon resident....but basically a nomad. I love the SW...southern Utah/northern AZ is probably the most incredible area in the world I've encountered. Really grateful to have a place here.

Author:  Mothman [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Texas Vike wrote:
@ Breeze

I just watched the highlights of the Cactus Bowl (that game started way too late for me here in CST), looks like it was a continuation of the TCU-Oregon game!

Did you move to S. Utah or is that a seasonal deal? Are you near the National Parks down there? Beautiful country in those parts---I need to get back to Zion NP and Bryce NP.


I do too... two of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The north part of the Grand Canyon is in that area too! The landscape is just stunning everywhere you look (and the skies are too).

Author:  The Breeze [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
@ Breeze

I just watched the highlights of the Cactus Bowl (that game started way too late for me here in CST), looks like it was a continuation of the TCU-Oregon game!

Did you move to S. Utah or is that a seasonal deal? Are you near the National Parks down there? Beautiful country in those parts---I need to get back to Zion NP and Bryce NP.


I do too... two of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The north part of the Grand Canyon is in that area too! The landscape is just stunning everywhere you look (and the skies are too).

It's truly beautiful....the whole Colorado Staircase in fact. I'm big into rock climbing...so the canyons keep me thoroughly entertained. I don't think people can really comprehend the Grand Canyon without being there in person.

Author:  Mothman [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

The Breeze wrote:
I do too... two of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The north part of the Grand Canyon is in that area too! The landscape is just stunning everywhere you look (and the skies are too).

It's truly beautiful....the whole Colorado Staircase in fact. I'm big into rock climbing...so the canyons keep me thoroughly entertained. I don't think people can really comprehend the Grand Canyon without being there in person.[/quote]

I agree. It's just TOO big. You have to experience it.

Author:  Texas Vike [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Mothman wrote:
The Breeze wrote:
I do too... two of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The north part of the Grand Canyon is in that area too! The landscape is just stunning everywhere you look (and the skies are too).

It's truly beautiful....the whole Colorado Staircase in fact. I'm big into rock climbing...so the canyons keep me thoroughly entertained. I don't think people can really comprehend the Grand Canyon without being there in person.


I agree. It's just TOO big. You have to experience it.[/quote]


Looking forward to the day when my son (5 now) is able to join me for some backpacking in the Grand Canyon. Probably in a couple of years. I've never been myself, which is nuts cause I've traveled extensively out west. Due time!

Author:  Mothman [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Texas Vike wrote:
Looking forward to the day when my son (5 now) is able to join me for some backpacking in the Grand Canyon. Probably in a couple of years. I've never been myself, which is nuts cause I've traveled extensively out west. Due time!


Yeah, get out there! ;)

Author:  Texas Vike [ Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

The Breeze wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
@ Breeze

I just watched the highlights of the Cactus Bowl (that game started way too late for me here in CST), looks like it was a continuation of the TCU-Oregon game!

Did you move to S. Utah or is that a seasonal deal? Are you near the National Parks down there? Beautiful country in those parts---I need to get back to Zion NP and Bryce NP.

Hey, I'm about 40mins from Zion in Cedar City. I was born here and have inherited a house that i'm casually fixing up, maybe to rent som day. Mainly it's a place to keep my stuff and experience electricity...haven't had either in a long time.
Still an Oregon resident....but basically a nomad. I love the SW...southern Utah/northern AZ is probably the most incredible area in the world I've encountered. Really grateful to have a place here.



Sweet place to inherit a house!

In Oregon you live without electricity?! Wow, Breeze, that's amazing. By that, do you mean you're off the grid (your own generator/ solar/ other) or completely w/o energy? I love the SW of the US too. I wish I had that access to the outdoors. North TX is brutal for scenery and outdoor rec opportunities, which is a hard pill to swallow for a guy who spent 10 years choosing places to live in the world based on that! I guess the good thing is that DFW has direct, short flights to Vegas. Looks like an easy 2.5 hour drive from there.

Author:  The Breeze [ Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

Texas Vike wrote:
The Breeze wrote:
@ Breeze

I just watched the highlights of the Cactus Bowl (that game started way too late for me here in CST), looks like it was a continuation of the TCU-Oregon game!

Did you move to S. Utah or is that a seasonal deal? Are you near the National Parks down there? Beautiful country in those parts---I need to get back to Zion NP and Bryce NP.
Hey, I'm about 40mins from Zion in Cedar City. I was born here and have inherited a house that i'm casually fixing up, maybe to rent som day. Mainly it's a place to keep my stuff and experience electricity...haven't had either in a long time.
Still an Oregon resident....but basically a nomad. I love the SW...southern Utah/northern AZ is probably the most incredible area in the world I've encountered. Really grateful to have a place here.



Sweet place to inherit a house!

In Oregon you live without electricity?! Wow, Breeze, that's amazing. By that, do you mean you're off the grid (your own generator/ solar/ other) or completely w/o energy? I love the SW of the US too. I wish I had that access to the outdoors. North TX is brutal for scenery and outdoor rec opportunities, which is a hard pill to swallow for a guy who spent 10 years choosing places to live in the world based on that! I guess the good thing is that DFW has direct, short flights to Vegas. Looks like an easy 2.5 hour drive from there.

Yeah...Vegas is kinda the hub for these parts. It's reasnoably close to a lot of places.
In Oregon I was a caretaker for a mountain property where I did lots of forest management stuff. I was building a small dwelling and just sleeping in a tent during the spring to fall months. No electrcity or running water. Had a small backpack panel to charge my phone and hauled water from one of the springs, cooked with a modified propane camp stove on an outdoor kitchen setup. Had a portable sawmill to use....so I fabricated lots of things ;)
In winter I would migrate to Maui and camp on a Taro farm restoration site...and had a similar setup. Or I would go to the Navajo rez where I would cut and sell fire wood for cash and look after some livestock in return for a dwelling with no electriity or running water.
Hard to get adjusted to at first...but once a routine is established it's like anything else.
Bathing is the kicker. On the oregon property there was a spring fed shower that ran off propane. On maui there was a solar shower and tub, and a small river.
On the rez....it was about heating pots of water on a wood stove or big propane burner for a bathtub. That was difficult at times lol.

Author:  Texas Vike [ Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

The Breeze wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
The Breeze wrote:
@ Breeze

I just watched the highlights of the Cactus Bowl (that game started way too late for me here in CST), looks like it was a continuation of the TCU-Oregon game!

Did you move to S. Utah or is that a seasonal deal? Are you near the National Parks down there? Beautiful country in those parts---I need to get back to Zion NP and Bryce NP.
Hey, I'm about 40mins from Zion in Cedar City. I was born here and have inherited a house that i'm casually fixing up, maybe to rent som day. Mainly it's a place to keep my stuff and experience electricity...haven't had either in a long time.
Still an Oregon resident....but basically a nomad. I love the SW...southern Utah/northern AZ is probably the most incredible area in the world I've encountered. Really grateful to have a place here.



Sweet place to inherit a house!

In Oregon you live without electricity?! Wow, Breeze, that's amazing. By that, do you mean you're off the grid (your own generator/ solar/ other) or completely w/o energy? I love the SW of the US too. I wish I had that access to the outdoors. North TX is brutal for scenery and outdoor rec opportunities, which is a hard pill to swallow for a guy who spent 10 years choosing places to live in the world based on that! I guess the good thing is that DFW has direct, short flights to Vegas. Looks like an easy 2.5 hour drive from there.

Yeah...Vegas is kinda the hub for these parts. It's reasnoably close to a lot of places.
In Oregon I was a caretaker for a mountain property where I did lots of forest management stuff. I was building a small dwelling and just sleeping in a tent during the spring to fall months. No electrcity or running water. Had a small backpack panel to charge my phone and hauled water from one of the springs, cooked with a modified propane camp stove on an outdoor kitchen setup. Had a portable sawmill to use....so I fabricated lots of things ;)
In winter I would migrate to Maui and camp on a Taro farm restoration site...and had a similar setup. Or I would go to the Navajo rez where I would cut and sell fire wood for cash and look after some livestock in return for a dwelling with no electriity or running water.
Hard to get adjusted to at first...but once a routine is established it's like anything else.
Bathing is the kicker. On the oregon property there was a spring fed shower that ran off propane. On maui there was a solar shower and tub, and a small river.
On the rez....it was about heating pots of water on a wood stove or big propane burner for a bathtub. That was difficult at times lol.


Wow. Props, man! That's impressive. I've done that kind of thing while bike touring or backpacking, but it is always a temporary situation. I like what you said about getting adjusted--it's very true. I've lived in several different countries and completely integrated into those communities. It's like a channel in my being whenever I go back--I switch to that channel and feel completely "other". I can imagine that living without running water and electricity is similar: it just becomes your norm. Your posting here is all the more impressive given your limited access to electricity! I bet you don't take a hot shower for granted in Utah!

Author:  The Breeze [ Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

@Tex
Ha! Posting on a phone isn't much fun at all. I have a hard time being very clear when expressing subjective opinions or anything that requires a long response, because I can't parse up quotes, or even look at them while I respond.
Another thing is that sometimes I just have to go and will windup in a place with no access for awhile. So, I get into a discussion for a couple days or whatever... then I wind having to drop it with no real warning. I usually just read the board and try to refrain from getting too involved comment-wise, cause I worry that might irk people. It just happened before the playoff game, I had to help out some friends on the Rez. It's why chose the handle I have. I kinda come and go :)
The shower and tub are like 5star ammenities for me indeed. Another thing is having fridge...
I'm heading down south for some climbing and gem shows...and warm weather. Might make it over to Texas to that sweet NP (big bend?) that you clued me into awhile back. Might get to have an IPA with you yet, and hear about your travels ;) That would be cool.
Enjoy the offseason, Tex~

Author:  Crax [ Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

The Breeze wrote:
Still an Oregon resident....but basically a nomad. I love the SW...southern Utah/northern AZ is probably the most incredible area in the world I've encountered. Really grateful to have a place here.
.......
Yeah...Vegas is kinda the hub for these parts. It's reasnoably close to a lot of places.
In Oregon I was a caretaker for a mountain property where I did lots of forest management stuff. I was building a small dwelling and just sleeping in a tent during the spring to fall months. No electrcity or running water. Had a small backpack panel to charge my phone and hauled water from one of the springs, cooked with a modified propane camp stove on an outdoor kitchen setup. Had a portable sawmill to use....so I fabricated lots of things ;)
In winter I would migrate to Maui and camp on a Taro farm restoration site...and had a similar setup. Or I would go to the Navajo rez where I would cut and sell fire wood for cash and look after some livestock in return for a dwelling with no electriity or running water.
Hard to get adjusted to at first...but once a routine is established it's like anything else.
Bathing is the kicker. On the oregon property there was a spring fed shower that ran off propane. On maui there was a solar shower and tub, and a small river.
On the rez....it was about heating pots of water on a wood stove or big propane burner for a bathtub. That was difficult at times lol.

That's awesome. Lot's of respect from me for doing that. Definitely sounds fun, but don't know if I could really do it. I love camping and have been able to get my wife to go more now that we bought a pop up trailer. I never minded tents, but she didn't like it much.

I live up north in Utah, but parents are in St. George now and I went to school down there back in the day. Would move down there in a second, but no real good jobs for what I do down there. Did a bit in Zions already and will be going back to moab this spring. We generally buy the National Park pass every year and always end up in Zions/Canyonlands/Arches/Escalante/Capitol Reef at some point.

Author:  The Breeze [ Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

@Crax
Yeah the economy down here is not so good.
The Park pass is a great deal...especially in this area, but, as you know, it works at all of them so if you travel, it pays for itself quickly.
I like the culutre up north better but the land down here is one of a kind and it doesn't really cost me anything to be here, so i've embraced it some.
Check out Cedar Breaks if you haven't seen it...pretty cool~

Author:  Texas Vike [ Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bowl Games

The Breeze wrote:
@Tex
Ha! Posting on a phone isn't much fun at all. I have a hard time being very clear when expressing subjective opinions or anything that requires a long response, because I can't parse up quotes, or even look at them while I respond.
Another thing is that sometimes I just have to go and will windup in a place with no access for awhile. So, I get into a discussion for a couple days or whatever... then I wind having to drop it with no real warning. I usually just read the board and try to refrain from getting too involved comment-wise, cause I worry that might irk people. It just happened before the playoff game, I had to help out some friends on the Rez. It's why chose the handle I have. I kinda come and go :)
The shower and tub are like 5star ammenities for me indeed. Another thing is having fridge...
I'm heading down south for some climbing and gem shows...and warm weather. Might make it over to Texas to that sweet NP (big bend?) that you clued me into awhile back. Might get to have an IPA with you yet, and hear about your travels ;) That would be cool.
Enjoy the offseason, Tex~


That would definitely be cool, a Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin' and lots of stories!

Big Bend is worth a stop if you find yourself out in West TX. Very unique place, not as impressive as where you are, but special all the same. I grew up on a lake in MN (constant boyhood adventures in canoes), so being in the desert is very exotic to me.

Shoot me a PM if you're ever in DFW~

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/