Safeties to watch 2016

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Safeties to watch 2016

Post by dead_poet »

So we need another safety. Who are some guys you like?

Here are a few to keep your eye on:

Jeremy Cash (Duke)
Jayron Kearse (Clemson)
Jalen Ramsey (Florida State)
Nate Andrews (Florida State)
Tony Conner (Ole Miss)
Vonn Bell (Ohio State)

Cash, in particular, has been off to a very good start so far.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Safeties to watch 2015

Post by jackal »

Bell would be my first choice and Kearse my second of that group from the highlights I saw
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Miles Killebrew - DB - Thunderbirds

An area scout says Utah Southern senior S Miles Killebrew is "a better football player than Shaq Thompson and Deone Bucannon were when they came out."

Considering Thompson and Bucannon were first-round picks, this is quite the endorsement for the rising Killebrew. "He jumps off the tape and has a chance to be a name you'll hear a lot leading up to the draft," wrote NFL.com's Lance Zierlein. "Killebrew has good size at a little under 6-2 and 230 pounds. He's been clocked at 4.45 in the 40. Everything we hear is that his character is impeccable." Killebrew will play in the Senior Bowl.
Source: NFL.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Miles Killebrew - DB - Thunderbirds

An area scout says Utah Southern senior S Miles Killebrew is "a better football player than Shaq Thompson and Deone Bucannon were when they came out."

Considering Thompson and Bucannon were first-round picks, this is quite the endorsement for the rising Killebrew. "He jumps off the tape and has a chance to be a name you'll hear a lot leading up to the draft," wrote NFL.com's Lance Zierlein. "Killebrew has good size at a little under 6-2 and 230 pounds. He's been clocked at 4.45 in the 40. Everything we hear is that his character is impeccable." Killebrew will play in the Senior Bowl.
Any relation to Harmon?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jalen Ramsey - DB - Seminoles

NFL.com's Rand Getlin reports FSU junior DB Jalen Ramsey is vetting potential agents and considering a jump to the NFL.

The 6-foot-1, 204-pounder can do it all and is a probable top-10 pick. There's only one question left to answer: What position will he play in the NFL? Ramsey, the first freshman to start at CB for FSU since Deion Sanders did in 1985, has world-class, Olympic-grade speed. He's got the skills to be a No. 1 NFL corner or a hybrid S/CB/LB who lines up all over the formation depending on matchups. Ramsey is an ideal chess piece for modern NFL defenses.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

An NFC scout said, "This is shaping up to be a great secondary draft, especially at cornerback."

We already know that seniors like Duke safety Jeremy Cash, Houston cornerback William Jackson III, Mississippi State cornerback Will Redmond and Boise State safety Darian Thompson will be apart of that class. Joining them in all likelihood will be underclassmen like CBs Mackensie Alexander, Kendall Fuller and Vernon Hargreaves, hybrid Jalen Ramsey and safety Jayron Kearse. More will declare after bowl games are played.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think we can go Oline with first pick and still get Cash for safety. And theres no doubt in my mind, that Cash can start day 1, and never lose his job, unless he gets hurt. Cash and Smith would be awesome back there. Ofc this would mean, no WR till at least our 3rd pick. Really wish Zimmer and Norv would play CP84 more this season to see if theres abything there.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Safeties to watch 2016

Post by dead_poet »

Jalen Ramsey - DB - Player

Florida State DB Jalen Ramsey will forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft.

Ramsey has all-world speed, but was used at safety as much as cornerback in the ACC. He even spent some time at linebacker. Ramsey is the kind of hybrid chess piece that's come into vogue in NFL defenses. Rotoworld's Josh Norris has Ramey going No. 6 overall to the Ravens in his first 2016 mock draft.
Source: NFL Mock Draft Version 1.0
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

let all those dbs go early so a quality starting o lineman slips to us in the late 20s.

back to dbs. it may not be popular, but i could see taking a corner in the 3rd-4th rds, especially if we get a safety in free agency. with newman's age and robinson likely gone we will need depth.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vonn Bell - DB - Buckeyes

Ohio State junior S Vonn Bell declared for the 2016 NFL Draft.

"I have decided to make myself eligible and enter the 2016 NFL Draft," Bell said. "It has been an honor and a privilege to play at the best university in the country, to play for the best coach in the country, and to help bring the 2014 national championship to The Ohio State University and the best fans in the country." This is getting crazy, y'all. Bell is the ninth Buckeye to leave school early since the school beat Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. Joining him are receiver Michael Thomas, running back Ezekiel Elliott, quarterback Cardale Jones, defensive back Eli Apple, defensive back Tyvis Powell, linebacker Darron Lee, wide receiver Jalin Marshall and defensive lineman Joey Bosa. Bell recorded 65 tackles, two passes defended and consensus First Team All-American honors last fall.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jayron Kearse - DB - Tigers

Clemson junior S Jayron Kearse will declare for the 2016 NFL Draft.

Kearse, the No. 6 available safety for the draft according to Mel Kiper, posted 62 tackles, 6.5 TFL, seven passes defended and an interception in 2015. The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder is the nephew of former NFL pass rusher Jevon Kearse and the cousin of former NFL defensive back Phillip Buchanon. Kearse recently indicated that the NFL Draft Advisory Board gave him a second-round grade.
Source: ESPN.com
English_Viking
Waterboy

Post by English_Viking »

I reckon Kearse will go late in the 1st round. I like his speed and his tackling and feel he will have an extremely good Combine which will push up his stock. If we could trade back and pick him late in the first/early 2nd I would be delighted.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Miles Killebrew - DB - Thunderbirds

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that the Dallas Cowboys interviewed Utah Southern S Miles Killebrew "for a while" at the Senior Bowl.

Killebrew played out of the spotlight in the FCS ranks. Now that the talented defensive back is at the Senior Bowl, the NFL will conduct more than it's due diligence on him. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound Killebrew is ridiculously athletic, having been clocked with a 4.45 forty. An NFL scout told NFL.com during the season that Killebrew is "a better football player than Shaq Thompson and Deone Bucannon were when they came out."
Source: TFY Draft Insider
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

slapnut19 wrote:let all those dbs go early so a quality starting o lineman slips to us in the late 20s.

back to dbs. it may not be popular, but i could see taking a corner in the 3rd-4th rds, especially if we get a safety in free agency. with newman's age and robinson likely gone we will need depth.
I could see it. Munnerlyn's also entering his contract year. The question is what Zimmer thinks of guys like Jabari Price, and what we do in free agency/resignings.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

This year seems to be an exceptionally remarkable year for Safety prospects coming out of college, particularly Strong Safety. I suspect we can get a good one still in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds. In years past, the classes seem to consist of 1-3 guys that really stood out and a bunch of projects. Might be this year our need and whats available match up perfectly.

Not sure where they will be available, but I would be happy with Killabrew, Cravens (S/LB Hybrid), Or Even Karl Joseph if he can come back from season ending knee injury. There are probably 2-3 other guys I would be ok with, but haven't done as much research on them yet.