2015 NFL Draft thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: 2015 NFL Draft thread

Post by halfgiz »

On NFL Network they was saying Clemming played right tackle.
Pats picked Tre Jackson.
Last edited by halfgiz on Sat May 02, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

He won't be doing anything this year but a potential long term prospect. I think after Cann the Vikings may feel no one can step right in like Yankey might be able to after a year.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pats got Tre Jackson. A bit surprised the Vikes didn't take him since he's a pure guard and a glaring need.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

halfgiz wrote:On NFL they was saying right tackle.
Pats picked Tre Jackson.

I saw that, it makes me think there must be a plan at G. They sure don't seem to be terribly concerned with filling a hole that we all feel needs filling.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

An anonymous NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he has "got no negatives at all" to say about Pitt T T.J. Clemmings.
"He's really powerful," the scout said. "He's got excellent strength, power, aggressiveness, tenacity. Good pass-block technician." Clemmings came into the draft process with a ton of momentum, but had a poor week at the Senior Bowl and failed at least one team's physical because of a bum knee. "Has the fire in him that you like," said another scout. "Needs some technique work. Great kid. His learning is good enough. He'll pick it up and work at it. But it'd be a mistake to think he could play left tackle." Apr 25 - 7:01 PM
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I like getting a guy with a lot of potential down the road in case we want to go a different direction from Phil Loadholt. I've never been that high on Phil, above average in the run game but due to his size he's just never going to be a lock down right tackle in pass protection. From Clemmings description it sounds like it'd do him a lot of good to not have to be thrown into NFL games right away and our coaches can get their hands on him and improve his game for a year or two behind phil so I think it's a pretty good situation.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

mondry wrote:I like getting a guy with a lot of potential down the road in case we want to go a different direction from Phil Loadholt. I've never been that high on Phil, above average in the run game but due to his size he's just never going to be a lock down right tackle in pass protection. From Clemmings description it sounds like it'd do him a lot of good to not have to be thrown into NFL games right away and our coaches can get their hands on him and improve his game for a year or two behind phil so I think it's a pretty good situation.
Wonder if Kalil could move over to right tackle if he continues to struggle? Gives the team options.

Early in a rebuild, this is the type of player you take. This team isn't getting a ring next year. But should be very competitive in another two or three years.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

S197 wrote:He won't be doing anything this year but a potential long term prospect.
I think you just hit it right on the head. This will be a rookie year spent healing up and getting coached up. I doubt they're counting on anything this year.
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

Interesting pick. Long term prospect. He's so raw.

With the injury he was obviously a good value.

It's getting great grades so far:

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades4.php
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Texas Vike wrote:
I saw that, it makes me think there must be a plan at G. They sure don't seem to be terribly concerned with filling a hole that we all feel needs filling.

WalterFootball: Minnesota Vikings: T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh: A Grade
T.J. Clemmings was never viewed as a first-round prospect. Teams we spoke to had him in the second or third round, and that's before his injury came to light. However, there's no denying that Clemmings provides fantastic value in the fourth frame. He's a potential starting left tackle with plenty of upside. He might be able to take over for Matt Kalil if Kalil continues to struggle.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

That tape of Clemmings at the Senior Bowl practices was brutal. Wonder if his fall in the draft was due more to his stress fracture in his foot or what he showed at the Senior Bowl. Think its probably more the latter than the former. Some reports said they thought he came close to giving up at the Senior Bowl drills after getting beat so often.

I don't mind the pick. He's only played on the OL for two years at Pitt and made big strides this year in his development. Lots of upsides.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

These next picks what side of the ball we going? Defensive
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

Does the Cummings pick take us out of the running for La'el Collins?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

kurtkeoki wrote:Does the Cummings pick take us out of the running for La'el Collins?
Not because of the pick, but because I believe we never were going to draft him. This team isn't going to take on a guy with massive character issues. Even if he is innocent.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Is this where we grab Ajayi? Ekpre-olomu the Db from Oregon available too