2015 NFL Draft thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Re: 2015 NFL Draft thread

Post by Pseudo Everything »

There's probably a lot of GMs that would like to take a flyer on Collins in the late rounds (if it comes to that) but these guys have to have their ownership on board to do that. You think Robert Kraft is going to allow Bill Belichick to draft a guy involved in a murder investigation? Is Biscotti (sp?) going to let Ozzie Newsome draft this guy?

I think a lot of owners simply do not want to risk the PR fallout that would ensue if you drafted Collins. Think of the media swarming around with questions demanding the team to justify drafting someone involved in a murder investigation (the murder of woman) at the same time the NFL is trying to clean up its act with domestic violence. It would dominate the local news coverage for that team.

If a team did draft him and it subsequently turns out he's involved ... it's not just simply a matter of cutting him. That team is going to get dragged through the mud by both the local and national media for its questionable judgement. The PR aspect of this is outweighs the risk-reward equation of taking a flyer on a guy with a first round grade in the latter half of the draft.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Mothman wrote:
I don't either, for the reasons you suggest. Somebody will draft him, it's probably just a question of when.
I see that, but with the year the NFL has just had. Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy, Aaron Hernandez and the intensified spot light brought on by all of these violent issues I don't see how any team could even justify a 6th or 7th rounder. It's not fair to Collins if he's innocent but these teams have to protect themselves. Even if it's the last pick of the draft, if Collins doesn't come out squeaky clean that team is going to have to answer for it. The rules changed, the media is rabid and will not give a pass to the teams any longer. The way the Vikes got devoured by the media during the Peterson drama changed my outlook on this.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

So, are any of you guys going to watch the draft?
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

The Breeze wrote:So, are any of you guys going to watch the draft?
Sadly I took paid time off from work just to do so. Shows how exciting my Life is, huh? :oops: :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

nightowl wrote:see that, but with the year the NFL has just had. Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy, Aaron Hernandez and the intensified spot light brought on by all of these violent issues I don't see how any team could even justify a 6th or 7th rounder.
I could justify it easily. I'd simply remind the press that the police have said he's not a suspect, that innocent people are asked questions and involved in murder investigations all the time (it doesn't mean they did anything wrong), that the pre-draft research into Collins yielded no indications that he was going to be a problem (assuming that's the case—i don't recall reading about any character concerns). I'd add that he's a very talented player and that if the situation changes, the team has every intention of responding appropriately. However, at this point, they see no reason not to draft a young man who hasn't been accused of any crime at all.
It's not fair to Collins if he's innocent...
Exactly and I'd remind them of that too.
... these teams have to protect themselves.
I don't see any rational reason why drafting a player who is accused of no crime and isn't suspected of one should conflict with that. I realize there are plenty of irrational people out there who would react with hysterics over a move like that but to hell with them. I'm fed up with that sort of nonsense. If a team has confidence in Collins, I see no reason not to take a shot on him. If he's drafted late and the situation changes, the team can react quickly and still take the stance that they are being responsible (especially because they would actually be behaving responsibly). If he's done nothing wrong and that becomes increasingly evident, the team may end up with a bargain and they'll have done a good thing by reinforcing the presumption of innocence and giving the young man a chance.
Even if it's the last pick of the draft, if Collins doesn't come out squeaky clean that team is going to have to answer for it.
So answer for it then. If he is subsequently charged and accused, cut him, move on and tell the media to do likewise. Then make that your last word on the subject. That's how I'd handle it.
The rules changed, the media is rabid and will not give a pass to the teams any longer. The way the Vikes got devoured by the media during the Peterson drama changed my outlook on this.
It's exactly why I'd be more than willing to symbolically flip the bird at every sleazy reporter, newspaper, network, etc, out there and take whatever heat they felt like bringing. It really ticks me off that our society increasingly sees everyone accused of or associated with something as guilty until proven innocent. It's wrong.

So, basically, I agree with you that it's not fair to Collins and that's why I'd be willing to use a pick to draft him. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

nightowl wrote: Sadly I took paid time off from work just to do so. Shows how exciting my Life is, huh? :oops: :lol:

:lol: Indeed.

I plan to watch tonight too. I don't know much I'll be able to see after that.
nfcnorthchamps25
Backup

Post by nfcnorthchamps25 »

I'd draft Collins with a late round pick. It's worth the risk to get another potential first round talent.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The Breeze wrote:So, are any of you guys going to watch the draft?
The draft? Yes. The stuff they have on NFL network right now.... unwatchable.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Mothman wrote: I could justify it easily. I'd simply remind the press that the police have said he's not a suspect, that innocent people are asked questions and involved in murder investigations all the time (it doesn't mean they did anything wrong), that the pre-draft research into Collins yielded no indications that he was going to be a problem (assuming that's the case—i don't recall reading about any character concerns). I'd add that he's a very talented player and that if the situation changes, the team has every intention of responding appropriately. However, at this point, they see no reason not to draft a young man who hasn't been accused of any crime at all.
Exactly and I'd remind them of that too.
I don't see any rational reason why drafting a player who is accused of no crime and isn't suspected of one should conflict with that. I realize there are plenty of irrational people out there who would react with hysterics over a move like that but to hell with them. I'm fed up with that sort of nonsense. If a team has confidence in Collins, I see no reason not to take a shot on him. If he's drafted late and the situation changes, the team can react quickly and still take the stance that they are being responsible (especially because they would actually be behaving responsibly). If he's done nothing wrong and that becomes increasingly evident, the team may end up with a bargain and they'll have done a good thing by reinforcing the presumption of innocence and giving the young man a chance.
So answer for it then. If he is subsequently charged and accused, cut him, move on and tell the media to do likewise. Then make that your last word on the subject. That's how I'd handle it.
It's exactly why I'd be more than willing to symbolically flip the bird at every sleazy reporter, newspaper, network, etc, out there and take whatever heat they felt like bringing. It really ticks me off that our society increasingly sees everyone accused of or associated with something as guilty until proven innocent. It's wrong.

So, basically, I agree with you that it's not fair to Collins and that's why I'd be willing to use a pick to draft him. :)

Maybe I'm being over sensitive to the situation, I do like what you're saying, I just wonder which team will take that stand.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

S197 wrote: The draft? Yes. The stuff they have on NFL network right now.... unwatchable.
I'm playing GTA 5 until it starts. 8)
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

nightowl wrote: Sadly I took paid time off from work just to do so. Shows how exciting my Life is, huh? :oops: :lol:
Getting paid to watch the draft? Spielman should hire you. :lol:
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

S197 wrote: The draft? Yes. The stuff they have on NFL network right now.... unwatchable.
I can't watch any of the draftniks and their mockery. I happen to be hanging with a Rams fanatic but we'll probably be more interested in the NBA playoffs tonight as far as actual action and follow the draft online...or flip the channels.

Gotta admit, between AD and the general draft buzz-blah, I'm feeling burnt out a bit......just wanna know who we get.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

nightowl wrote:Maybe I'm being over sensitive to the situation, I do like what you're saying, I just wonder which team will take that stand.
Maybe none... you're probably not being over-sensitive to the situation. I'm probably just fired up and not thinking enough like an actual NFL owner/GM.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Isn't that the truth! Good lord, this stuff is just brutal! Why can't there be analysis, predictions, hypotheticals? etc. ? How hard is it to anticipate what your target market is interested in seeing?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Man. Getting up at 5am tomorrow is going to be rough. I am watching the entire draft for sure though. It needs to start!!!
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.