2015 NFL Draft thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: 2015 NFL Draft thread

Post by halfgiz »

Cowboys didn't draft a running back. I find that surprising.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I'm going to call this the "00 Buck" draft. Seems like after the first two picks, Spielman loaded up the shotgun and peppered the team with highly athletic but raw athletes that may or may not pan out. There's some merit to it as I think the draft is largely a crap shoot in later rounds so you may as well get as many shots as possible to land a potential hit. I would have liked to have seen one more solid pick in the 3rd before we went full throttle with the project picks but I guess whoever they were targeting was gone so he decided to implement his mandatory 10 pick scheme early. Also disappointed we once again did not grab a QB. I think the Packers showed that no matter who you have behind center you should still always keep looking.
It's a philosophy I agree with so I'm disappointed too.

It seems clear to me that Zimmer is looking for athletic players he feels he and his staff can mold into quality pros and that philosophy was reflected in this draft. It's been made clear that the draft approach would bend to the preferences of the coach and needs of the system(s). It sure looks to me like Spielman tried to get Zimmer the type of players he wants/needs. We'll see if it works out...
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Mothman wrote: [...]It's a philosophy I agree with so I'm disappointed too.
Does this count?
Taylor Heinike, QB, Old Dominion signed as an undrafted FA.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Mothman wrote: It's a philosophy I agree with so I'm disappointed too.

It seems clear to me that Zimmer is looking for athletic players he feels he and his staff can mold into quality pros and that philosophy was reflected in this draft. It's been made clear that the draft approach would bend to the preferences of the coach and needs of the system(s). It sure looks to me like Spielman tried to get Zimmer the type of players he wants/needs. We'll see if it works out...
I secretly wanted the Vikes to nab Hundley late when he started to fall. Just as a project to tinker with. I'll reserve judgement though, because I'm far from an expert. Maybe Turner didn't think any of them were worth pounding the table for. :confused:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote:Does this count?
Taylor Heinike, QB, Old Dominion signed as an undrafted FA.
It obviously counts to some extent because he's a QB but from what I've read about him, he's a long shot to be anything more than a backup. We'll see...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jeez.
I had one question for Licht. I had this sinking feeling about the Bucs’ investigation into Winston off the field, that the franchise was finding out what it wanted to find out. The Bucs wanted Winston to win the on- and off-field competitions, and would never put him in position to look bad nationally. So why didn’t the Bucs, who talked to more than 75 people as part of the organization’s investigation into Winston’s character, talk to the woman who accused him of attacking her, Erica Kinsman? Did the Bucs just want the investigation to be finished, and to say what the team wanted it to say?

“That’s not the case,” Licht said adamantly. “We are not talking about this now… but we read the depositions. We knew what she was going to say. This was a thorough investigation. We were not going to mistake charisma for character.”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@xtina1229 I asked Spielman why they didn't draft a safety. He went out of his way to mention Exum, said "we know who Sendejo/Blanton are"
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:
I like Sendejo... Is this a bad sign for him?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I like Sendejo... Is this a bad sign for him?
Probably.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:Jeez.
Kind of the sense I had. I just can't fathom spending the first overall on a guy like Winston. I heard Max Kellerman say something like "It took Winston all of 5 minutes to do exactly what he wasn't supposed to do", with regard to posting his picture of himself eating crab legs at his draft party. Just crazy to me. I don't think Lovie is able to view the situation objectively, and I don't think the Bucs tried all that hard to view it objectively. They wanted to want Winston IMO.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Kind of the sense I had. I just can't fathom spending the first overall on a guy like Winston. I heard Max Kellerman say something like "It took Winston all of 5 minutes to do exactly what he wasn't supposed to do", with regard to posting his picture of himself eating crab legs at his draft party. Just crazy to me. I don't think Lovie is able to view the situation objectively, and I don't think the Bucs tried all that hard to view it objectively. They wanted to want Winston IMO.
I think so too and I also think they're going to end up regretting it.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

fiestavike wrote:Kind of the sense I had. I just can't fathom spending the first overall on a guy like Winston. I heard Max Kellerman say something like "It took Winston all of 5 minutes to do exactly what he wasn't supposed to do", with regard to posting his picture of himself eating crab legs at his draft party. Just crazy to me. I don't think Lovie is able to view the situation objectively, and I don't think the Bucs tried all that hard to view it objectively. They wanted to want Winston IMO.
I thought the photo with the crab legs at his draft party was funny and didn't see anything at all wrong with it. He wasn't trolling Publix. He posted the picture as a courtesy to Capt. Keith Colburn, star of “The Deadliest Catch,” who reportedly sent Winston 25 pounds of crab legs as a gift for his draft party.

If the Bucs made him take the photo down then it's safe to say the Bucs have zero sense of humor.

Weird how some fans can get worked up about Winston posting a photo of crab legs while also advocating drafting Lael Collins.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

After getting caught walking out of a place with crab legs, and then finally coming out and throwing the school and the place he got caught at under the bus by admitting they basically break NCAA rules and give handouts to student athletes, there was a bit more to it then you're saying.

Or should be. But it was clear from the beginning the guy wasn't very bright. And this is just another example of it.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pseudo Everything wrote: I thought the photo with the crab legs at his draft party was funny and didn't see anything at all wrong with it. He wasn't trolling Publix. He posted the picture as a courtesy to Capt. Keith Colburn, star of “The Deadliest Catch,” who reportedly sent Winston 25 pounds of crab legs as a gift for his draft party.

If the Bucs made him take the photo down then it's safe to say the Bucs have zero sense of humor.

Weird how some fans can get worked up about Winston posting a photo of crab legs while also advocating drafting Lael Collins.
I can see where you are coming from, but to me stealing just isn't funny. If Winston came out before the draft and took responsibility for that error, acknowledged his wrongdoing, the picture could have been a kind of self effacing and endearing joke. I didn't take it that way after he basically came out with a story excusing himself because he didn't steal it alone, but with the help of a store employee (that makes it ok?). In other words, after he decided not to take responsibility. I'd suggested he turn the incident around by getting a sponsorship with Joe's Crab Shack where he takes a similar tone..."You all know how much I love crab legs..." so I get what your talking about, but the way he has handled it, it didn't come across that way.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I'm with Fiesta on this one. Even if it was kind of funny, a player under the microscope and trying to prove himself as much as Winston is - is an idiot for doing anything like this. You want to earn trust man! Not be a comedian about something you got into trouble for! The Bucs are in deep doo doo with this pick. Should've taken the Eagles offer that they were supposedly giving the Titans.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.