2015 NFL Draft thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Re: 2015 NFL Draft thread

Post by John_Viveiros »

This makes him sound really good:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2415 ... t-nfl-team

His 3-cone drill put him near the top of the safeties and linebackers. Actually, he might really help us out with his run defense, which no one questions being stellar.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote: Maybe... there's still guard talent out there and the Vikes now have ammo to move around. I'm sure there's a plan. I'm just impatient and I didn't like the project pick. I also felt like they needed to take more steps to improve the offense and it's been all defense thus far.
They are getting this guy back I hear..he might help the offense. But yes, they do need to improve the offense as well. Especially the LG spot.

Quite honestly though, all draft picks are projects - an OG we drafted there could just as easily bust as Hunter. It's a crap shoot, so my thought is, you go with the guy you think has the best chance of making it, the guy you have rated highest on your board.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote:Maybe..but if they felt strongly about Hunter, then why pass on a player they feel could be an impactful player down the line for a player they might feel less strongly about, just to fill a need? Obviously I don't know what their feelings were on Hunter vs. the guards available, but I think the pick was made based on BPA, because DE is obviously not as pressing a need as OG.
You're obviously making a reasonable point and they should be true to their scouting and research but there are needs and there are needs. When a position was a serious weakness last year and that starter was released, it seems like the gaping hole left behind has to become a priority at some point. I guess we haven't reached that point. :confused:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote:This makes him sound really good:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2415 ... t-nfl-team

His 3-cone drill put him near the top of the safeties and linebackers. Actually, he might really help us out with his run defense, which no one questions being stellar.
.. and if a game comes down to a 3-cone drill, we have our guy! ;)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote:They are getting this guy back I hear..he might help the offense.

Oh yeah... that guy! He might help a little.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Cincinnati just drafted Vontaze Burfict number two - except they actually drafted him this time. I am talking about Paul Dawson.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Mothman wrote: .. and if a game comes down to a 3-cone drill, we have our guy! ;)
The 3-cone drill tells you he has the agility needed to be an edge rusher in the NFL, if his technique is fixed. High reward guy.

IIRC, he led the SEC in tackling the runner for no gain last year. Seems like he can hold the point of attack that way. Probably does project more toward Robison's position than to Griffin's.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@mattvensel: Spielman said the #Vikings tried to trade up in the third round, but that didn't work so they ended up trading down twice and taking Hunter.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:@mattvensel: Spielman said the #Vikings tried to trade up in the third round, but that didn't work so they ended up trading down twice and taking Hunter.
I wonder who they were targeting in their effort to trade up.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@christomasson: Rick Spielman said "Coach Zimmer loves to work with athletic guys who have length.''

@christomasson: Rick Spielman said there's still good depth on offense for tomorrow.

@mattvensel: Spielman said the coaches feel that Kendricks can play MLB or WLB.

@GoesslingESPN: Spielman calls Hunter an "Anthony Barr-type athlete" who can drop into coverage. Not as fluid as Barr, but similar build.

@christomasson: Rick Spielman didn't ask Anthony Barr about Eric Kendricks because "he tweets too much.''

@christomasson: Rick Spielman says Danielle Hunter is "raw" and a "project" but that there is "tremendous upside.''
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@mattvensel: Spielman said Hunter is a right defensive end. Scott Crichton, a 2014 third-round pick, is a left end. Different skill sets. #Vikings
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@christomasson: Rick Spielman said Vikings will look at offensive lineman Saturday if it presents itself but will "not reach."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I wonder who they were targeting in their effort to trade up.
@DWolfsonKSTP: @ArifHasanNFL @PFF_Sam Cann visited here and would've fit a need. I'd be surprised if it wasn't him.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:@christomasson: Rick Spielman said Vikings will look at offensive lineman Saturday if it presents itself but will "not reach."
Interesting, they dont care about a reach for DE, which is one of the spots we are ok at, but we havent had a decent guard since we got Johnson, but they wont reach for a G with upside.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Interesting, they dont care about a reach for DE, which is one of the spots we are ok at, but we havent had a decent guard since we got Johnson, but they wont reach for a G with upside.
Seems like zimmer is bullying Slick Rick
I'm cool with that.